• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

How does recruiting work with bowl games? Could Wake invite prospects to the game as part of an official visit since it is driving distance?

Maybe DJ Taylor can get his cousin tickets for the Belk Bowl 🤷🏽‍♂️

4 star WR Alontae Taylor eliminated wake after his visit, but it’s not what you think. He actually said he thought about committing during the visit and could see himself as a deacon. He eliminated us because we are unable to offer him early admission. Not sure the reasoning why. Really a shame that we could have gotten a commitment from a high 4 star at a position of need, but lose out because we cannot enroll him in January. But hopefully more to come.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...th-Tennessee-Vols-AD-Phillip-Fulmer-111695205

4 star WR Alontae Taylor eliminated wake after his visit, but it’s not what you think. He actually said he thought about committing during the visit and could see himself as a deacon. He eliminated us because we are unable to offer him early admission. Not sure the reasoning why. Really a shame that we could have gotten a commitment from a high 4 star at a position of need, but lose out because we cannot enroll him in January. But hopefully more to come.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...th-Tennessee-Vols-AD-Phillip-Fulmer-111695205

If this is true, I'm absolutely baffled. Big time programs routinely "process" kids out of classes, force players off the team with medical hardship waivers, etc, and we can't get a kid in early, who would be the one of the biggest recruits in WFU history?

The recruiting weekend went well. As Clawson just said, this season is helping or recruiting. In respect of the scout/247 paywall, I won’t say anything else.

We heard the same thing last year. We're going to finish dead last in the ACC in team recruiting rankings two years in a row. Wish someone would ask him about that, and what level of importance he puts on those rankings. It's pretty troubling to me, and makes me wonder if our newfound level of success will be sustainable beyond next year.

Why wouldn't we be able to get him in January? Do we have some other recruits coming in January?

This is just weird.

Wouldn't we have know about his desire to enroll early before his visit so everything could be organized by the time he came?
Or is this something that just popped up on Saturday?
Either way, doesn't make sense.

Taylor has been all over the place in his recruitment and all indications are that he's going to UGA. I'm glad he said nice things about Wake but I seriously doubt he was actually planning to commit.

2018 Wake Forest Football Recruiting

No that’s just ridiculous. We’re Wake Forest and turning away the #124 recruit in the country because we can’t work out him coming in early? Winning programs make things like that happen easy

Last edited:
As nice as the people who work in admissions are, they are notoriously difficult when it comes to athletics. I even heard that from former athletes I talked to before I enrolled. Our admission standards have to be one of the most difficult parts of coaching here.

I wonder if he currently does not qualify or is very borderline, and consequently our admissions folks wanted to see academic progress in his final semester in high school.

No that’s just ridiculous. We’re Wake Forest and turning away the #124 recruit in the country because we can’t work out him coming in early? Winning programs make things like that happen easy

I've seen this happen at other schools that don't place such a big emphasis on academics. I'm not sure that this is an academic issue. I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that we can only have a certain number of players enroll early. If I had to guess, I would bet that Clawson is already at the specified number.

If he wanted to come to Wake, I'm sure Clawson could find a way. The early enrollment thing is just a him trying to find a diplomatic way of eliminating Wake from consideration.

I've seen this happen at other schools that don't place such a big emphasis on academics. I'm not sure that this is an academic issue. I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that we can only have a certain number of players enroll early. If I had to guess, I would bet that Clawson is already at the specified number.

If he wanted to come to Wake, I'm sure Clawson could find a way. The early enrollment thing is just a him trying to find a diplomatic way of eliminating Wake from consideration.

Did you read the interview? He wouldn’t have said the things he did if he didn’t want to come here.

Second, yeah that could be the issue for sure. Winning programs make things like that happen as well, though.

How many guys did you take in last years class? Schools can only admit 25 in a 1 year period (I think, please correct me if i'm wrong) with the new rules. That means that if you took 21 kids in the regular signing period last season you can only admit 4 in the early period this year. So may have already been at the limit. That said, if everything the kid says is true that is truly baffling and a big loss for you guys.

huh?

Back