• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

New article on 247 quotes McKinney saying Wake was his dream school. Seems like an amazing kid from the article. Really happy he’s going to be in B&G

New article on 247 quotes McKinney saying Wake was his dream school. Seems like an amazing kid from the article. Really happy he’s going to be in B&G

I always like getting good players that are also really good kids..........as well as getting good kids that are also really good players.

Wolford is a great example and we've been blessed with a number of them.

That is awesome! In state recruits that are also fans is never a bad thing.

Would love to see him and Beal in the same backfield in a couple of years. Nice change of pace and will have defenses guessing.

Gotcha. Then those are early offers. He must be legit, if accurate.

He has tons of video on Hudl and other sites. His basketball video on YouTube shows you his leaping ability. WF had him in camp last summer and was the first to offer. I was hoping we could get an early commit before Notre Dame, UNC and others offer. Right now it’s WF, Duke and ECU. He has more speed and athletic ability than any receiver on our team other than Dortch. He would stretch the field on deep passes.

Some notes…

SCHOLARSHIP COUNT

I am at a range of 83-85 after taking off Troy Simon and adding Courtney McKinney and Atorian Perry. I give a range because I have a couple of question marks like the status of Dionte Austin.

REMAINING SPOTS

The easiest one to read is DT because of the recent offer to DION BERGAN (Osceola HS / Kissimmee, FL). That appears to signal some pessimism about Wake’s chances with Ole Miss-commit KD HILL, MORO OJOMO and TYLER STEEN. Bergan has a long list of Sun Belt-ish level offers. He also continues a trend of Wake looking at shorter DTs (6’0-6’1) as the process gets later. He tweeted that he will take an official visit to Wake on December 8.

Pessimism is understandable with Texas native Ojomo, who just picked up an offer from Texas.

Tyler Steen will take an OV to Duke this weekend and Kentucky the following weekend. He is scheduled to visit Wake in January (assuming he doesn’t sign anywhere in December).

I assume there is also a DE spot, and it is being held for Houston-commit TAHJ BROWN (who visited last weekend). But whether and if there is a backup plan at DE remains unclear.

It’s just as unclear whether there are other spots available, and if so, at what positions. I’m assuming that the staff is done at WR.

THE NEW CALENDAR

I think the college football world is trying to figure out how to approach the new calendar, and I expect that Wake is no different.
If the new early signing date had not been added, I’m sure that Wake would have followed the same pattern from the last couple of years by scheduling big OV weekends for the first two weekends after the dead period (this year it would have been January 12-14 and January 19-21). The staff would have taken a very short break after the bowl game and then spent 1-2 weeks plotting their strategy for the January recruiting end game. OV lists were always fluid during their dead period as they set their priorities.

However, now the staff has to decide whether to try and fill all of their spots at the early signing date. The big unknown is how many, and what quality, recruits will be left on the board after the early signing date. I was surprised that they decided to bring in an official visitor this weekend. To me, that means they might be trying to wrap things up in December. Or maybe they just want the DT spot resolved.

I’m certain that Clawson is HATING all of the recruiting activity that is going on right now. He has made clear in the past that he wants his staff and players focused on the bowl game and only the bowl game. Not recruiting. I think the early signing day is just nine days before the Belk Bowl. I’m sure he’s fuming. Somebody needs to ask him about this at the next coach’s radio show. I’m sure the response will be entertaining. :)

McKINNEY

I watched McKinney at one of Wake’s camps last summer. I thought he was very ordinary. So I was surprised that Wake offered. However, when I watched him the other RBs at the camp were much smaller and (not surprisingly I guess) more elusive and explosive in comparison. You would be surprised how few quality RBs there are that have size. After taking Christian Beal last cycle perhaps Wake was specifically targeting a bigger RB this cycle.

McKinney shows up in this Nike camp video. This is the RB vs LB drill designed to test your elusiveness. McKinney must not have been given many reps, but does show up once at the 3:09 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FcWFCcyCA

I did find the comments from 247’s Steve Wiltfong very encouraging and completely trust the staff. He’ll be an interesting guy to follow over the next few years. I’m excited to see how he develops.

Thanks for the updates, 94. I don't typically/trust many of the recruiting "insiders", but Wiltfong is probably the best in the business. Good stuff from him for sure.

94, do you have a more educated/involved guess on the Alontae Taylor fiasco than the rest of us? Would love to hear your take.

Deac94 is probably more in-tune to the details, but I would be willing to bet that it is simply a numbers/rules issue and not some Wake specific "fiasco". You are only allowed so many enrollees per class (25 I believe) and early enrollees actually count against the prior years class's number. Not sure how many spots are still open to count against last year's class, but it is a specific number per the rules; not something that is flexible. I would also be willing to bet that Wake had already promised those finite spots to already committed players (Hartman?). In that case they would have had to bump another commit out of enrolling early, and perhaps they weren't willing to renege on promises made to other commits. For the record, I am not in the know, and do not know that that is exactly what happened. The fact of the matter though, is that there are specific NCAA rules on how many kids you can bring in for a class, and what kids count against what classes.

Deac94 is probably more in-tune to the details, but I would be willing to bet that it is simply a numbers/rules issue and not some Wake specific "fiasco". You are only allowed so many enrollees per class (25 I believe) and early enrollees actually count against the prior years class's number. Not sure how many spots are still open to count against last year's class, but it is a specific number per the rules; not something that is flexible. I would also be willing to bet that Wake had already promised those finite spots to already committed players (Hartman?). In that case they would have had to bump another commit out of enrolling early, and perhaps they weren't willing to renege on promises made to other commits. For the record, I am not in the know, and do not know that that is exactly what happened. The fact of the matter though, is that there are specific NCAA rules on how many kids you can bring in for a class, and what kids count against what classes.

If this is the case, which I agree it could be, you tell your lowest priority 2/3 star kid that he still has a spot and you still want him, but he has to wait until June to enroll. I'm guessing some of the "Taylor said he thought about committing on the visit" rhetoric was overblown, and was him trying to make Wake folks feel good while eliminating them.

I glanced at last season's signing day info, and it looks like we announced 20 newcomers. Of those, I thought we had at least a couple enroll early, so it does seem like we would have space for at least 6 or 7 early enrollees this year. Not sure how grad transfers figure into class counts, if they do at all. So no matter what, I would think we could enroll at least 5 early this year, and I would be surprised if we have that many to do so. But who knows.

Guys, I think we are reading too much into it. Seems like we only we had one WR spot. We were probably putting the pressure on Taylor to commit, but had to tell him that the spot was Terry's if he committed. Terry committed and now we know the rest of the story. I know what Taylor said publicly, but this seems to make the most sense.

The Taylor story seems too convenient. Reporters aren't questioning the administration over this. Everybody is left in a good light and the story ends. I can't see the staff holding off Taylor for Perry, or not asking a commit to wait (even gray shirt) for a 4* playmaker. It's time to move on, there is no where else to go with this.

Clawson may be fuming about the early signing period during bowl prep for good reason.

But the unintended (or maybe intended) consequences are that teams that didn't make bowls have more time and energy to devote to recruiting. That's a good thing.

If Taylor wanted to come early, we would have found a way. Always attrition. If it were academics might be a different story but Clawson has been very good in going after guys we can get in. my guess is Taylor was jerking us around and was not going to come. Anybody's guess is as good as another- we don't know.

LOL at all of the people who think Alontae Taylor was actually going to commit to Wake but we turned him away. Gtfo

LOL at all of the people who think Alontae Taylor was actually going to commit to Wake but we turned him away. Gtfo

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...th-Tennessee-Vols-AD-Phillip-Fulmer-111695205

He’s quoted as saying something along the lines that he wanted to commit, but since we couldn’t take him early, he couldn’t. Said it was hard to grasp the idea that he won’t be able to play with his cousin. If you read his quotes, they seem pretty compelling to me.

Back