• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...th-Tennessee-Vols-AD-Phillip-Fulmer-111695205

He’s quoted as saying something along the lines that he wanted to commit, but since we couldn’t take him early, he couldn’t. Said it was hard to grasp the idea that he won’t be able to play with his cousin. If you read his quotes, they seem pretty compelling to me.

Kid loves attention. It’s why he has committed to and decommitted from a bunch of different schools (publicly and silently), has released a number of top schools lists, and took 23 (!) documented official and unofficial visits.

Clawson has always said that if you get a chance to get a player of Taylor’s caliber, you find a way to take him. So I firmly believe that any reason he doesn’t end up at Wake is solely on him (either he never really wanted to come which is most likely, or he won’t qualify). Now, you also have to keep in mind that he was once committed to Vanderbilt who may not be as strict academically on athletes as Wake, but they’re still Vanderbilt. So I don’t buy that Wake kept him out... I think this is just a kid trying to get some positive attention and likes on Twitter.

Ok last point... he said in the article that it was his dream to play with his cousin... well his cousin has been committed for almost a year. If that was the number one driver in where he was going to wind up, he wouldn’t have committed to all those other schools.

Stop being so gullible people.

2018 Wake Forest Football Recruiting

It's like Clawson is making his list by checking App and Iowa State's lists twice.

It's like Clawson is making his list by checking App and Iowa State's lists twice.

Only about 5 of our commits have multiple P5 offers. Clawson’s first 3 classes seemed to have twice that number. The vast majority are 3 star recruits with lots of mid-major offers. I trust Clawson’s judgment on on recruits since so many of his guys have panned out.

Only about 5 of our commits have multiple P5 offers. Clawson’s first 3 classes seemed to have twice that number. The vast majority are 3 star recruits with lots of mid-major offers. I trust Clawson’s judgment on on recruits since so many of his guys have panned out.

We are recruiting at about a C+ level. Let's just be real about it.

Clawson's priority for recruiting kids are 1. Must be a good student and willing to go to class 2. Must be of good character. 3. Must LOVE and not just like football. I would think they are proving themselves good recuiters in spite of the star ratings. For those thinking we should be focusing on the 4 and high 3* guys, rightly or wrongly, he just doesn't work that way.

Agree with sportsnut. Our recruits are not typical
At the same time, I think as we show more success, that we will attract more higher rated players.....as long as they meet the character and academic requirements.
This is starting to happen it hope momentum picks up.

Clawson's priority for recruiting kids are 1. Must be a good student and willing to go to class 2. Must be of good character. 3. Must LOVE and not just like football. I would think they are proving themselves good recuiters in spite of the star ratings. For those thinking we should be focusing on the 4 and high 3* guys, rightly or wrongly, he just doesn't work that way.

So you think Clawson is not recruiting 4 * and high 3*? Sorry, I don't believe this.

Clawson implemented that computer algorithm this past year to handle football recruiting. Wake is cutting edge just like the Cleveland Browns.

Wake LB commit Ryan Smenda was offered by Texas A&M on Thursday.

The declining number of mainstream commits is one of the reasons that I dedicate less time to following Wake Forest football recruiting. I keep a stat that tracks the % of commits with 2 or more P5 offers. In the 2016 class it was 57%. For the 2017 class it fell to 37%. Right now the 2018 class sits at 29%.

I think there are a lot of reasons that Wake is heading this direction. One of those reasons is that they aren't landing enough of the guys that they target early in the process if those recruits end up with multiple P5 offers. But I think that there are a number of other reasons as well. Don't dismiss the importance of attending one of Wake's camps. Even this late in the process a recruit's chances of getting an offer are much higher if they made the trip to Winston-Salem over the summer, and guys with multiple P5 offers typically don't make that trip. Wake has a lot more confidence taking a guy if they've evaluated him in that setting.

I also have a theory that a lot of low-3 stars don't have the measurables that Wake is looking for. So they may look at kids much more under-the-radar or raw in order to get the measurables that they think they need to compete. But that's not based on any conversations I've had. Just a sense that I've gotten.

Anthony Manning is also visiting this weekend. He is a smallish safety from Lake Nona HS in Orlando. His highlights show a lot of WR, but I doubt that's the position he is being recruited for (Wake already has a slot WR commit). Wake was his first offer at any level (back in April). Since he picked up that offer from Wake, he's also picked up FAU (May 5), Furman (May 22), Mercer (May 24), Western Illinois (May 25) and Central Connecticut (June 6). I don't know much more about him.

2018 Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Perhaps the algorithm has helped them better identify the types of players who slip through the cracks and excel at G5 programs and even the NFL.

What if Dortch is the next iteration of 6th round pick Central Michigan's Antonio Brown?

This is exciting to me. We've needed this type of edge.

Last edited:
Back