• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Wake LB commit Ryan Smenda was offered by Texas A&M on Thursday.

Hey 94,
Did we ever go after Bryce Love? I see that he is from Wake Forest NC. I remember hearing a lot about Stanford's receiver Arcada-Whitesides but not about Bryce. Were we just never in the running?

Wake LB commit Ryan Smenda was offered by Texas A&M on Thursday.

Hey 94,
Did we ever go after Bryce Love? I see that he is from Wake Forest NC. I remember hearing a lot about Stanford's receiver Arcada-Whitesides but not about Bryce. Were we just never in the running?

Hey 94,

Absolutely, but Wake was never able to get themselves in the running. IIRC he said several times that he planned to come to Wake for an unofficial visit but I don't think he ever did.

Arcega-Whiteside strongly considered Wake.

Manning has a crystal ball from 24/7, for WF. Clawson's pan is perfect for us. Bring'em in, Work'em up. We'll bring in fat guys who need to loose weight, Weak guys who need to get stronger, Slow guys who need to get faster. If these kids work at their deficiencies, they'll work hard at other aspects of the game too. InClawWeTrust.

F$&k Jumbo. This is one of our highest rated recruits and had lots of offers.
Bring it on. Means we have some good guys in the fold. Comes with the territory. Let's beat Jimbo as the heads out the door.

While Clawson is here, I think having traditional recruiting expectations based on star # is going to be difficult for Wake fans. Clawson and his staff are clearly evaluating talent succesfully among recruits that are overlooked by recruiting services.

The play of our defensive backs in the latter half of the season tells me that Clawson knows what he is doing in the players he recruits.

Jake Benzinger is a great example of their ability to spot talent. I believe he had no offers and came from the talent barren New England region. As a red shirt soph he started every game I believe and was a part of a really good o-line. It has been awhile since we could say that. I agree with Mebane on the d backfield and look at the returning talent at all the skill positions. Best running backs as a group ever, best group of receivers, and pardon my Richmond bias, but maybe the most exciting wide receiver ever. The above position is set for years to come assuming all commits get here.

Might be true. But just remember the same things were said about Grobe, who really ultimately perished due to poor recruiting.
Earlier in Grobe's tenure at Wake, it was true. After 2010, not so much or certainly with fewer in each class.

We will ride clawson as long as,he wins. If he stops winning he will get a certain amount of leeway depending in his sucess. I like our player development arc. Hope it lasts.

Last edited:
We had one if the most dynamic players in school history. He got hurt and we are still 7 5

There's always uncertainty (duh!), but I've never seen a program sustain P5 success not regularly in the top 50 recruiting.

Football recruiting rankings are quite questionable, in my opinion. If you go back over the past 5 years I would guess you would see the following patterns: FSU consistently in the top 5, Wisconsin always in the 30s, Northwestern in the 50s, and UCF in the 60s and 70s. How'd that work out for those teams this year? Wake won the ACC championship and went to 3 straight bowl games with classes consistently ranked below Duke, during which time Wake won 12 straight vs Duke and Duke was one of the worst teams in the country.

Back