• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Jaycee Horn a top CB with over 30 offers including Bama and LSU is visiting Wake tomorrow!!

For the time being, I like that we can offer these high-3*/low-4* the opportunity to really shine at Wake. A lot of the guys in that range have tools that can be developed and make them pro prospects. I think it's nice that we have some positive momentum, and we can tell them they can come to LOWF and be the BMOC, get bigger/stronger/faster, and possibly make it to the next level while winning some games in the ACC.
My understanding was that the best recruits from Grobe's last few classes followed that same pattern as high 3 star players who had the elite athleticism but we're missing the intangibles to get better offers.

Well we need to get the high 3 star players who want a better opportunity to play than they'll get a bigger time schools.

Look at Brown's quote. He was impressed that he was the top target at his position.

Jaycee Horn picked up offers from LSU and tOSU in the last two weeks. We were among his first offers back in January.

Last edited:
Tthis blurb was in the New Orleans paper a week or so past. Quite the list.
LSU has dished out scholarship offers to several out-of-state prospects in the last week, including cornerback Jaycee Horn, who has seen his stock rise as of late.
The Georgia 2018 cornerback is the son of former New Orleans Saints wide receiver Joe Horn.
The Tigers offered Horn on Wednesday, according to his Twitter page.
The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder is rated as a three-star prospect by 247 Sports, but has quite the impressive list of scholarship offers, including Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tulane, Virginia Tech and others.
Horn said he's "definitely going to visit LSU" sometime soon, but as of now his next visits will be Georgia, Florida, Wake Forest and a few other schools.

Tthis blurb was in the New Orleans paper a week or so past. Quite the list.
LSU has dished out scholarship offers to several out-of-state prospects in the last week, including cornerback Jaycee Horn, who has seen his stock rise as of late.
The Georgia 2018 cornerback is the son of former New Orleans Saints wide receiver Joe Horn.
The Tigers offered Horn on Wednesday, according to his Twitter page.
The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder is rated as a three-star prospect by 247 Sports, but has quite the impressive list of scholarship offers, including Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tulane, Virginia Tech and others.
Horn said he's "definitely going to visit LSU" sometime soon, but as of now his next visits will be Georgia, Florida, Wake Forest and a few other schools.

Can we safely handicap this one as a long shot?

Well we need to get the high 3 star players who want a better opportunity to play than they'll get a bigger time schools.

Look at Brown's quote. He was impressed that he was the top target at his position.

Jaycee Horn picked up offers from LSU and tOSU in the last two weeks. We were among his first offers back in January.

Horn will visit tomorrow. I believe this will be his second visit in the last two months.

Last edited:
2018 Wake Forest Football Recruiting Thread- Kelijiha Brown commits!

Can we safely handicap this one as a long shot?

He's visiting. He has 36 offers and he's visiting us. Who knows?

His dad played couldn't qualify for an NCAA school played 2 years at a CC, worked for two years, played in the CFL, and got drafted into the NFL at age 24. Interesting background.

He's a WR coach at a CC so you know, we could just hire him and make this happen, right?

Rank By Offers has him as the 100th player in the class but does not yet include OSU or LSU. If you add those, he jumps to 69th.

Rivals article on Brown.
https://wakeforest.rivals.com/news/commit-4-for-wake-forest

I think Clawson is wearing the exact same shirt I have on today, seriously.

I’m going to start a deep-dive into the 2018 class by taking a position-by-position look at the recruits that I’m paying the most attention to. When I get through that I’ll post my first Big Board of the cycle.

I decided to start with the RBs, with the caveat that one or more of these recruits may have been offered as an ATH.

MATAEO DURANT (McCormick HS / McCormick, SC)
Rivals Ranking: 3-star (5.5), #23 recruit in SC.
247 Ranking: #75 RB in the country. #18 recruit in SC.
Wake Offer Date: February 4
Other P5 Offers: Mississippi State and West Virginia
Twitter ID: @mataeo_durant
Notes: Plays on both sides of the ball for small classification (Class A) McCormick. His defensive highlights are impressive too. He could get some offers as an ATH. As a RB, he is a speed back with the size to run on both the outside and the inside. Attended Junior Day at Wake. Plans to visit Wake again soon to watch a spring practice. First emerged as an FBD prospect at the Atlanta MVP camp last offseason. Is also in contact with South Carolina, Notre Dame, Indiana and Tennessee. Planning a trip to West Virginia. Attended multiple Gamecocks games. Class A all-state in basketball, averaging 14 points per game. Was hindered by an ankle injury during his junior football season. Member of National Honor Society. Wants to go to a school with a good football program and down-to-earth people. Appears to be friends with Kelijiha Brown.

DESTIN COATES (James Rickards HS / Tallahassee, FL)
Rivals Ranking: 3-star (5.5)
247 Ranking: not yet ranked
Wake Offer Date: January 30
Other P5 Offers: Ole Miss, Purdue (February 8), Illinois (March 4)
Twitter ID: @CoatesDestin
Notes: Also has an offer from home state schools UCF, FAU and USF. A smaller RB (maybe 5’9 / 5’10), so it’s impressive that he’s already been able to draw the offers that he has. Highly productive. 1,382 yards (8.4 yards per carry) and 19 TDs as a junior. Second team all-state RB in Florida’s 5A classification. Described by his high school coach as “a way better person than he is an athlete” that has “overcome more than the average kid can attempt to handle”. Reportedly maintains a 3.5 GPA and scored a 22 on his first ACT attempt. Starting guard on the basketball team.

TIJAI WHATLEY (Darlington HS / Rome, GA)
Rivals Ranking: not yet rated
247 Ranking: no profile yet
Wake Offer Date: February 25
Other P5 Offers: Purdue, Rutgers, Boston College, Kansas
Twitter ID: @LamarTijai
Notes: Already has 15 total offers. Thin-framed RB might have the most electric highlights of any RB on my board, but I’m mindful of the fact that he plays in Georgia’s small school Class A-Private classification. Fast, fluid and elusive. I really like him. As a bonus, there are more highlights of him catching the ball out of the backfield than I usually see in RB highlights. With his build, there’s a chance that some of his offers are as an ATH. 3.27 GPA.

Last edited:
Thanks 94. Could you put their size in these profiles?

At 6-2, 190 it seems like Whatley could end up any number of positions.

I'd put Horn at 70%. We are the only private school listed. The fact he's on second visit and we aren't eliminated is telling. Public school facilities with private school education. Clawson gets this unique sales point. It's why I fucking love this guy and have always hated our coaches who just couldn't get it. Long contract. A1 facilities. Wellman retiring soon. Play the long game my friends. We are at a great cross roads. It's all coming together.

I'd put Horn at 70%. We are the only private school listed. The fact he's on second visit and we aren't eliminated is telling. Public school facilities with private school education. Clawson gets this unique sales point. It's why I fucking love this guy and have always hated our coaches who just couldn't get it. Long contract. A1 facilities. Wellman retiring soon. Play the long game my friends. We are at a great cross roads. It's all coming together.

I agree mack. Clawson has shown very good competence as a program coach, even if he's not a wunderkind, and with his commitment and his understanding of recruiting and its strategy he stands to make strong gains with his program. Grobe had a great coaching ability -- at least initially -- but couldn't grasp the latter angle at all. Hence his ultimate failure.

I think Grobe thought he figured out recruiting after the FRESH DEACS success. He didn't evolve as recruiting evolved and didn't put in the effort.

Back