• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

My impression is that Grobe was able to find hidden talent/diamonds in the rough before as you say recruiting evolved. A lot of gold filtered through. Once recruiting coverage became more comprehensive, that haphazard technique became less viable, and he and his staff never developed their already undeveloped practice. Pretty much the same as what you're saying, clearly, but I think his lack of focus was just fairly feasible early on rather than having had any particular insight or talent at it. They always commented on how they didn't care about "stars" or "awards" -- "all solar system". Like they had a certain disdain for the whole operation.

That's a good way to put it.

My impression is that Grobe was able to find hidden talent/diamonds in the rough before as you say recruiting evolved. A lot of gold filtered through. Once recruiting coverage became more comprehensive, that haphazard technique became less viable, and he and his staff never developed their already undeveloped practice. Pretty much the same as what you're saying, clearly, but I think his lack of focus was just fairly feasible early on rather than having had any particular insight or talent at it. They always commented on how they didn't care about "stars" or "awards" -- "all solar system". Like they had a certain disdain for the whole operation.

I knew we were toast with Grobe when he uttered the "we're fishing in a small pond" junk. Embedded LOWF into the football coaching culture at Wake.

Yeah. "Fishing in a small pond" was just another way to say "we're lazy."

Grobe should have been saying "We just went to the FUCK'N ORANGE BOWL, Come with us next time." Clawson has been more impressive, getting more with less. His incorporation of an academic plan, especially for pre-med guys, is getting some talent in here. Thank GOD we won the bowl game and can show off those rings to recruits. In Claw We Trust.

I knew we were doomed when our QB commit got beat out by a sophomore (at Millbrook).

Yeah. That was ridiculous. Last I checked, that kid is a WR at EMU and has barely touched the field. The kid who beat him out is at ECU.

Another side to the Grobe discussion is did they get worse at developing talent after losing some key assistants. Not hard to argue that not only did Elrod lack integrity, he couldn't make our QB's better. Tanner Price seemed to regress after his freshmen year (which also could possibly be attributed to not as much talent around him with the aforementioned recruiting issues). We had Kevin Sousa who was offered by Michigan and Tyler Cameron offered by LSU so you would think that there was a certain level of talent there but they never saw the field. Was that all injuries and lack of effort or was Elrod just not very good? Losing Troy Calhoun on offense then Dean Hood on defense, could have been more than Grobe could overcome as well.

The other reality that Grobe couldn't wake up to was that you can't be a Power 5 football coach and knock off at 5pm to have dinner and take a walk with your wife. Schools aren't paying $2 million a year for a 9-5 schedule. He got us to a great place but didn't have the fire to keep it up. He caught lightning in a bottle, lucking into Riley Skinner as an overachieving gamer along with down FSU and Clemson programs and no Louisville. I appreciate all that he did. Clawson is more than a refreshing change and Wellman should get credit for hiring him but also some grief for not putting more heat on Grobe earlier.

From the free Rivals page- so hopefully no ethical transgressions:
Arkansas State, Buffalo, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Southern Miss, Troy and Wake Forest have offered Azeez Ojulari a scholarship. The 6-foot-4, 230 pound edge rusher out of Marietta (Ga.) is looking for a combination of academics and football. He has already visited numerous schools on his offer list and three sit on top of his list.

Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Wake Forest, three schools that compete in the ACC are Ojulari's favorites at this time. He has visited each school at least twice, so he has a great feel for the schools and all have things that make them stand out to him.

WAKE FOREST: "They have been showing me a lot of love and I like that. I like how they play a lot of freshmen and the defensive line coach (Dave Cohen) really likes what I can do. I also like what they offer academically and I think it is overall a great school. I liked it when I was up there. They are building new facilities, so I like that also. They would be ready when I get there if I choose Wake Forest."

He's still listed at 6-3, 210 on 247 and he was rated .82 at that size. That's great size for a DE.

He's still listed at 6-3, 210 on 247 and he was rated .82 at that size. That's great size for a DE.

Looking at a good 6'4", 245 by the time he hits the field in fall 2019.

Maybe I'm just an optimist but I think Clawson is about to straight crush it. In the wise words of His Airness, the ceiling is the roof.

Back