• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Netflix - great analysis. Would like to have Hinton read that. Might help him more if he has any doubts about his future.

Good analysis.

How many college QBs have virtually the guarantee of starting at a Power 5 school? Even taking the risk of giving that away by breaking a well-established team rule makes you wonder how much a player prizes that opportunity. Some players would think that the reward could not possibly be worth taking that risk. The guy who takes the risk may not want to play as much as he should?

Newman has the opportunity to slam the door on Hinton. If he plays lights out first three games, he's starting the fourth game and so on. And he knows it.

Wake commit Ivan Mora invited to the Under Armour All America game as a punter.

WR position starts gaining momentum and punter is like "Hold my beer."

I really appreciate so many facets of Dave Clawson’s coaching expertise. One area that can be overlooked is his control of data flow. Looking at the latest roster info you can see that a great number of guys are updated and still others are notably showing a loss of weight. The S&C aim is clearly to break down the player and develop from a leaner base.

I’m not 100 % sure of K Brown’s list at 260..but Tyler Williams is down 20 pounds,Suhren is down 15 and Boogie Basham is down 5 as a few examples.

Looking at the above prospects I’d surmise - if true- that in the case of Brown (once a top 3 list from state of SC) the staff is working from the premise of Brown’s athleticism (4.9 40 and 31” vertical *tested at 305 pounds) and here I imagine the coaches see signs of similar potential of the prototypical college DT,Ed Oliver at Houston. You have an aggressive kid who is naturally very gifted and you get rid of the baby fat and build him into the player you want him to emulate. Whether or not things pan out that way is secondary to the individualized training Wake employs in player development.

With Suhren,we are looking at Justin Herron’s heir apparent. Both highly regarded and were probably both the top OL targets for WF in their respective classes. Herron was snatched from Boston College and easily could have chosen any Northeast power (but ND and Penn State were not setting the world ablaze some 5 years ago)

Anyway..with Suhren (top OT state of N.C.) you see the quick LT Clawson prefers - both men could be 300 plus pounders and I feel,less effective,if they’d wound up at other destinations. As it is Suhren will continue building physically over the next 3 years of his career and hope he is the replacement Wake will need for Herron. He certainly looks the part.

Before delving into Tyler Williams..I’d like to note the “Violent” on field nature of Wake Forest’s current crop of young DL.

Between Sulaiman,Kalijiha,Tyler,Boogie and Mike..WF has some guys who like to tackle with a little more flair. They have the same aggressiveness as the Safety Redd does. Good to have some guys who will of necessity earn a flag or two for their enthusiasm.

Tyler Williams is an interesting prospect. He has a thick build and more powerful lower body than Yarbary or Bateman. He is cat-quick and another whose physical ability is on par with Kamara and Brown. I don’t expect a ton of snaps with the vets ahead of him but am no less excited about his potential going forward.

There was a sign in the Kansas City Chiefs weight room that said "Fat kills speed". I'm glad to see the shedding of fat and building of muscle work by the S&C staff.

Back