• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

^ Meant to say there will be 4 QBs on scholarship for 2018 and 2019 (not 2020)

Is Kohl's Kicking the most reliable source for kicker evals or is it the traditional 247/Rivals evals like other positions.

Rankings like Kohl's are good for camparing one kicker to another, but if I understand correctly they only rank kickers that have paid to attend one of their camps. So it's not like they are evaluating every kicker in the country. For example, there is very little overlap between the rankings at Kohl's and Kornblue because very few kids attended camps at both (there is also Chris Sailer that appears to do the same thing as Kohl's and Kornblue).

So Mora's #9 ranking by Kohl's needs some context. The guy ranked #10 by Kohl's has yet to receive a scholarship offer. Same with the guy ranked #11.

Also keep in mind that a 5-star rating by Kohl's means they believe he is worthy of an FBS-level scholarship. 4-stars are FCS level scholarship or FBS preferred walk-on candidates. Kohl's rates Mora as a 5-star punter and a 5-star kicker.

A couple of comments on Deac94's #3 above. A similar option is trying to grab a QB when coaches get fired/leave at the end of the season. Every year it seems that a few top QBs re-open their commitment, when the original staff they committed to get canned, and they realize they don't fit in with the style of the new staff. Another is to see if a QB committed to a non-P5 program blows up and is interested in going the P5 route. Worked (at least on the commitment side) with Wolford, Kearns, and the kid (Smith?) from Michigan that left after a couple of weeks. On the other hand, the November signing period may make this route a little harder.

A couple of comments on Deac94's #3 above. A similar option is trying to grab a QB when coaches get fired/leave at the end of the season. Every year it seems that a few top QBs re-open their commitment, when the original staff they committed to get canned, and they realize they don't fit in with the style of the new staff. Another is to see if a QB committed to a non-P5 program blows up and is interested in going the P5 route. Worked (at least on the commitment side) with Wolford, Kearns, and the kid (Smith?) from Michigan that left after a couple of weeks. On the other hand, the November signing period may make this route a little harder.

Or, Clawson is waiting to see for Clark to actually commits before offering anybody else. Clemson already has a QB commit for this year, ND has offered 9 QB's, and UNC 12, maybe Clawson is trying to show the kid that Wake is the one that wants him the most, and will wait for his decision before offering any other quarterbacks.

Also, I get it from Clark's point of view, all three of those schools have had QB's drafted in the first two rounds within the last decade, while Wolford, a 4 year starter, just put up amazing numbers and is still looking for a camp invite. Wake has not had a QB drafted in almost 30 years. That plays into the mindset of players coming out High School, they want to go to the next level. I don't agree that it is the best decision for Clark to go to one of those three other schools, but I get it.

There's zero chance Clawson is waiting on anything from Clark. He's likely already forgotten his name at this point.

There's zero chance Clawson is waiting on anything from Clark. He's likely already forgotten his name at this point.

So why would he be waiting on offering someone else? Wake has shown interest in Fomby and Brown, why not pull the trigger and try to get one on board? With the new early signing period, I don't see the opportunity for many changes after the season.

Your wife that ran off with your best friend will come back if you just wait. Be worth it. She really loves you, just wait.

So why would he be waiting on offering someone else? Wake has shown interest in Fomby and Brown, why not pull the trigger and try to get one on board? With the new early signing period, I don't see the opportunity for many changes after the season.

Thought there was a general philosophy of seeing QBs throw before offering. Hence the added late July camp.

Wolford was anything but a hot commodity coming out of high school; but I would be very happy to have a QB like him each and every season going forward...especially if we sustain the development of OL and WR.

I think the 2019 QB decision is really interesting. Missing out on Taylor Powell and now Brendon Clark makes things interesting. For example, looking out towards the 2021 season (when a 2019 QB would be a redshirt sophomore) we would have only Hartman and Bowers. As much as I like Hartman (and I’m really excited about the guy) I do worry about whether with his build he will be injury-prone. Plus, he has far from proven himself at the college level.

So on paper the 2019 decision looks like a big one and yet…no offers have been made since Clark decommitted. Meanwhile, some of the remaining QB’s have been committing elsewhere (Vandy settled its QB spot yesterday).

Here are some scenarios that I’ve considered:

#1 – Coach R is waiting to see all of the candidates perform at camp before making any offers. This is probably the most likely scenario. I saw that a late July camp has been added. That camp session may have been added specifically to see more QBs.

#2 – A 2019 QB offer has been made, but it’s been kept hush-hush. I doubt this. Not sure why. Offering a QB and then telling him he has to be quiet about it seems like amateur hour.

#3 – With the normal 2019 QB cycle largely wrapped up, perhaps Coach R is thinking about holding the scholarship until after the season to see what QBs emerge based on big senior seasons. QB recruiting in December and January is interesting. Usually a few QBs emerge on the national scene during their senior year and not many programs can pursue them because their QB spots are tied up.

#4 – Wake isn’t going to take a 2019 QB. Clawson has said before that he wants to carry 4 QBs every year. That’s the right number in his mind. If Hinton returns for a fifth year (?), Clawson already has 4 for both 2019 and 2020. If somehow, the decision is between taking a 2019 QB or a 2020 QB, I’d take a 2020 given how many 2019s are already off the board. Also, keep in mind that the ever expanding grad transfer QB market makes it less of a risky proposition to operate with fewer 4-year scholarship QBs. Grad transfers have become everyone’s Plan B.

Great breakdown 94. Think #1 is the most likely scenario, and most of the guys we started showing interest in shortly after the Clark commitment don't seem to be in any rush to commit. The one that did seem somewhat close was Quad Brown with Vandy, who's spot was just taken by the commit yesterday. Amani Gilmore is a really interesting prospect who earned SEC offers after camps, but has zero junior year highlights because he transferred. He's the type of guy the staff would undoubtedly want to bring in and watch throw first before offering a scholly.

Your wife that ran off with your best friend will come back if you just wait. Be worth it. She really loves you, just wait.

Yep. And if she comes back you will be sleeping with one eye open.

Great breakdown 94. Think #1 is the most likely scenario, and most of the guys we started showing interest in shortly after the Clark commitment don't seem to be in any rush to commit. The one that did seem somewhat close was Quad Brown with Vandy, who's spot was just taken by the commit yesterday. Amani Gilmore is a really interesting prospect who earned SEC offers after camps, but has zero junior year highlights because he transferred. He's the type of guy the staff would undoubtedly want to bring in and watch throw first before offering a scholly.

Quad Brown added an Alabama offer earlier this week.

QB was put on the back burner since Clark committed last year. We would go into a HS and not even mention their QB. 94, your mention of the extra camp explains the plan. Bring kids in, and look at candidates for the '19 class and beyond.

It makes sense that good wide receivers are looking at us. Our offense can really make a good receiver shine. Hope we can get Greene in here. He would compliment Groulx really well

Three WRs had breakout seasons last year. Definitely should look good to recruits.

I’m not a mixtape expert like buckets but he looks like he throws it pretty naturally and did a nice job adjusting speed/trajectory depending on the window. Plenty of downfield completions and not just dink and dunk stuff.

I trust our staff’s eye for QBs.

The Claw strikes quickly. Gotta respect how he defies conventional wisdom.

Another QB-WR pair from HS with Kern and Manning.

Back