• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

This from a Syracuse, NY writer: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-s-winner-came-from-one-who-stayed/ar-AAPkqvR

At Wake Forest, the post-game conversation centered on the culture created by head coach Dave Clawson and the decisions of veterans to return to the team, forming one of the ACC’s most experienced units. Wake Forest has benefitted from the approach, building a roster that has won its first six games and climbed into the national rankings.

It is great to have coaches who believe in you more than you can always believe in yourself. Take a fair amount of persistence and courage to see it through.

Exactly. It does nobody any good for the staff to recruit and enroll guys who drown academically before they finish a year at Wake.

Well, it would be nice to be able to take juco kids that pulled their academics together or to be able to take a chance on some kids that may need extra help, and maybe a lot of help, to get up to speed.

Well, it would be nice to be able to take juco kids that pulled their academics together or to be able to take a chance on some kids that may need extra help, and maybe a lot of help, to get up to speed.

The JuCo issue is much larger than football. It seems that Wake has academic policies in place that make it nearly impossible for a JuCo grad to enroll at Wake and get a degree from Wake in two years. One of my college roomies was a JuCo guy, graduated with a 3.8 and then went to medical school and practiced medicine until his untimely death. He would not get into Wake under today's Wake rules.

The other issue, getting guys up to speed, is another reason why Clawson likes redshirting freshman. Give the guys time to do that without the pressure of playing big time football games shortly after arriving on campus.

The JuCo issue is much larger than football. It seems that Wake has academic policies in place that make it nearly impossible for a JuCo grad to enroll at Wake and get a degree from Wake in two years. One of my college roomies was a JuCo guy, graduated with a 3.8 and then went to medical school and practiced medicine until his untimely death. He would not get into Wake under today's Wake rules.

The other issue, getting guys up to speed, is another reason why Clawson likes redshirting freshman. Give the guys time to do that without the pressure of playing big time football games shortly after arriving on campus.

One of my suitemates went 2 years of community college, 2 years Wake, and then Wake law degree. Interesting that Wake does away with the SAT requirement in part b/c of "cultural bias", but then no consideration for kids who for financial, family or other reasons benefit from a year or to at the local cc before going the university route. In particular many of the best/brightest Hispanic kids in N.C. are taking advantage of the generous transfer options that schools like NCSU and UNCW promote for 2-year degreed students. .

One of my suitemates went 2 years of community college, 2 years Wake, and then Wake law degree. Interesting that Wake does away with the SAT requirement in part b/c of "cultural bias", but then no consideration for kids who for financial, family or other reasons benefit from a year or to at the local cc before going the university route. In particular many of the best/brightest Hispanic kids in N.C. are taking advantage of the generous transfer options that schools like NCSU and UNCW promote for 2-year degreed students. .

Well said. Of course, the real story is they want people paying ridiculous Wake tuition for those divisional courses instead of taking them at a CC and transferring in.

The JuCo credits transfer policy is one thing about this current Wake Forest University that disappoints me the most.

Well said. Of course, the real story is they want people paying ridiculous Wake tuition for those divisional courses instead of taking them at a CC and transferring in.

That economic argument makes no sense Ph. It would only apply if we didn't fill our freshman class every year (which we do). It would actually make more economic sense to bring JUCO or transfers to replace the lost revenue from students who drop out, so there is no economic incentive to exclude JUCO students.

The plan you describe would mean excluding transfers beyond enough to replace students who transferred out. I’m not sure what the transfer rate is. It’s probably not that high so your plan may be pretty close to what Wake does now, take a very small number of exceptional CC transfers.

That’s not enough to do what DownEast was describing.

Donavon was offered by ND and many other big time programs. He didn’t visit ND and things have worked out pretty well for him. As far as I know, he has done well academically at WF and was obviously developing into a great ACC receiver and potential NFL prospect until his injury. His parents and family can attend most WF games yet he is far away from home to be able to be “away” for college. Higgins is a great WR coach. The ACC is appealing to most NC players. I’m sure Grimes has talked to Donavon and has thought about these things plus the cold winters in the corn fields of northern Indiana.

The JuCo credits transfer policy is one thing about this current Wake Forest University that disappoints me the most.

So you want someone who cruises through a cc for 2 years while you bust your ass at WF to get the same degree as you?

So you want someone who cruises through a cc for 2 years while you bust your ass at WF to get the same degree as you?

Yep. That person probably worked twice as hard as I did and overcame a horde of obstacles to get there. The purpose of higher education should be to close the wealth gap, not celebrate it.

If our O is designed to let the QB keep and run, why haven't we recruited a QB for that? Can Kearn or Griffis run? Maybe they can and we've just never seen it in a game.

But I have wondered why we don't go for a more dynamic running QB, more like a Cunningham (Louisville) or Travis (FSU)....

If our O is designed to let the QB keep and run, why haven't we recruited a QB for that? Can Kearn or Griffis run? Maybe they can and we've just never seen it in a game.

But I have wondered why we don't go for a more dynamic running QB, more like a Cunningham (Louisville) or Travis (FSU)....

Hinton, Newman

This is a real shitty ass post

Bullshit. I worked my ass off in tough courses at WF during my first 2 years. I was trying to get into law school and WF had grade deflation at the time. Someone who couldn’t get into WF out of high school and attended an easy cc for 2 years shouldn’t have been able to transfer in and get the same degree except under special circumstances. This is the policy WF has always used. Otherwise, it would be nuts to attend WF for 4 years. Just save $$ and take English Comp, foreign language, calculus, biology, etc at a cc. You can do that at UNC and most state schools, but not WFU.

Yep. That person probably worked twice as hard as I did and overcame a horde of obstacles to get there. The purpose of higher education should be to close the wealth gap, not celebrate it.[/. That person didn’t work twice as hard as you at a cc if you spent your first 2 years at WFU.

Back