• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

What is the legit read on Hartman? Seems really undersized and has played against smaller private school competition his whole life. Has terrific stats and great leadership qualities and seems to have a decent arm. However, all of those things sound like Wolford 2.0 to me.

Anyone have a good scouting report on him? I'm very excited that he is a Deac, but I'm curious what scouting people think.

Quote from rivals free story last year after his commitment: Davidson Day coach Chad Grier said Hartman has received interest from many other high-major schools, but that his commitment to the Deacs is firm.

“He didn’t make this commitment lightly. He wouldn’t have made that decision if he wasn’t sure it was a good fit at Wake Forest,” Grier said. “I think they see the same thing other coaching staffs are seeing. I had a coach from Penn State call me a week ago and told me he’s seen 100 2018 quarterbacks and Sam is the best he’s seen. Many are saying he’s the best ‘18 in the state. He’s only going to get better. He’s not out doing the camp and interview circuit. He’s just trying to get better. Without the hype, when you watch his throw, it’s like ‘wow.’”

Yet he's still a 3*.

Funny how being "like Wolford" is perceived by some as a negative. Wolford will finish his WF career in the top 5 in passing yards, completions, touchdowns, passing efficiency, yards rushing among QBs and wins as a starter.

It only matters what he does when he gets here. As for Wolford, he's as good (or bad) as he was when he got here. Hinton can't stay on the field. Cover your eyes if you've read this before, but the OL can't seem to sustain a running game. If you take out Carney's long run, they had something like 55 yds on 44 carries in the scrimmage. The Bowl game is starting to look like a mirage and it's back to pitiful offense we have always had in the Clawson era.

It only matters what he does when he gets here. As for Wolford, he's as good (or bad) as he was when he got here. Hinton can't stay on the field. Cover your eyes if you've read this before, but the OL can't seem to sustain a running game. If you take out Carney's long run, they had something like 55 yds on 44 carries in the scrimmage. The Bowl game is starting to look like a mirage and it's back to pitiful offense we have always had in the Clawson era.

Carney had 67 yards on 6 carries and Beal had 37 yards on 7 carries. Sounds like you are panic monkeying based on a misprint.

Carney had 67 yards on 6 carries and Beal had 37 yards on 7 carries. Sounds like you are panic monkeying based on a misprint.

Carney had 67 yards on 6 carries, including a long of 61. So, 5 carries for 6 yards, plus one big gain.

Beal had 37 yards on 7 carries, including a long of 27. So, 6 carries for 10 yards, plus one big gain.

Colburn had 27 yards on 7 carries, including a long of 14. So, 6 carries for 13 yards, plus one big gain.

Take out the three big plays and you've got them combining for 17 carries for 29 yards (1.7 ypc). Of course the big plays still count and it's great to see some explosiveness, but ideally we'd be able to regularly get closer to 3 yards each play plus a few big plays here and there. Tough to keep moving the chains if most of the time you're only getting 1-2 yards per run.

Carney had a 61 yard run. So he had 6 yards on the other 5 carries. Beal had a 27 yarder, which means he had 10 yds on his 6 other carries. The running game still stinks. Carney took it in from the 1, after his long run. How many first downs did we get running the ball? It looks like the past 3 years again.

Carney had 67 yards on 6 carries, including a long of 61. So, 5 carries for 6 yards, plus one big gain.

Beal had 37 yards on 7 carries, including a long of 27. So, 6 carries for 10 yards, plus one big gain.

Colburn had 27 yards on 7 carries, including a long of 14. So, 6 carries for 13 yards, plus one big gain.

Take out the three big plays and you've got them combining for 17 carries for 29 yards (1.7 ypc). Of course the big plays still count and it's great to see some explosiveness, but ideally we'd be able to regularly get closer to 3 yards each play plus a few big plays here and there. Tough to keep moving the chains if most of the time you're only getting 1-2 yards per run.

Let's hope that this changes, and is at least partially a result of : 1. the O line has multiple new faces. 2. The D line is returning their important players. 3. offenses take longer to get coordinated to do everything right than defenses do to bust things up. 4. many places the defense is ahead of the offense in early practices.

It's amazing how in four years now the defense has always had more upperclassmen and depth on the line than the offense. It's good that we're just reloading with solid DL talent, while the OL continually struggles to man the positions and lacks depth. Just can't seem to get a foothold.

I hope to catch the spring game on youtube after the game. Maybe the official site will put up some video. I still think that if they don't change what they're teaching the OL, it will not change the results. fingers crossed.

Our 3 main backs carried the ball 20 times for 131 yards. could be worse.

Don't understand the point of deducting out the longest runs as if they somehow don't count. Anyone can manipulate stats to make a flawed point. WF averaged more than 6 yards a carry, and that's evidence the run game blows? ��

If the purpose of a ground game is to pound the opposing defense, methodically move the ball down the field, eat clock so that your defense can rest, and then punch it in for a TD. Those long runs took 10 seconds of the clock, got 1 first down apiece. Also, by avoiding the 3rd and long passing situation, which all to often ended with a sack or a bad pass, we can keep their defense somewhat honest.

Funny how being "like Wolford" is perceived by some as a negative. Wolford will finish his WF career in the top 5 in passing yards, completions, touchdowns, passing efficiency, yards rushing among QBs and wins as a starter.

Cool. He still sucks. Except for one half against a Group of 5 team.

For those who worry about the effectiveness of the rushing game, you might want to keep two facts in mind. 1. It was the first spring scrimmage. 2. The Deacon defense was/is the strength of the team, ranked #20 in points/game and #22 in defensive efficiency last year.

Don't understand the point of deducting out the longest runs as if they somehow don't count. Anyone can manipulate stats to make a flawed point. WF averaged more than 6 yards a carry, and that's evidence the run game blows? 🙄

ITT a grown ass man admits he doesn't understand outliers.

Cmon Pilch. So much of the running game is getting just 2-3 yards. A running game can break a few long runs and still struggle to get 2-3 yards and the long runs are merely field position.

If the purpose of a ground game is to pound the opposing defense, methodically move the ball down the field, eat clock so that your defense can rest, and then punch it in for a TD. Those long runs took 10 seconds of the clock, got 1 first down apiece. Also, by avoiding the 3rd and long passing situation, which all to often ended with a sack or a bad pass, we can keep their defense somewhat honest.

So the defense took away the run and got burned for a 70 % pass completion rate as I can conveniently take out the Hinton stats. Three QB's tore them up. I didn't see the game, but you can't know what the defense was doing. If they were putting 8 or 9 in the box it didn't work in stopping the offense. Isn't that the point of the defense?

When you are mixing 1st, 2nd and third teamers in a scrimmage, it is hard to draw firm conclusions from team stats. Also bear in mind that part of the no gain carries were Ruggerio's mind boggling consistency of running into the teeth of the defense on 3rd 8 or even 3rd and three. Play calling was pretty vanilla anyway but the OC is as predictable as the tides

Yeah I'm not at all saying the sky is falling or whatever. I take spring numbers with several bags of salt. Just saying you can look at the overall numbers and take away one impression and look at the numbers broken out and take away another impression. Hopefully when the season comes into play, we'll be able to put forward a run game that regularly gets small chunks of yardage with the occasional explosive play. We were already much better at that this past year than we had been the past few years.

Back