• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

If you take out the long runs, why wouldn't you take out the run(s) from the 1-yard line. The current way would seem to potentially skew results in a fashion not representative of what was actually happening. If you really want to know how the running game is doing, it seems like the average (mean or median) of what they do when not stopped by the end zone is a better descriptor. You might even consider taking out short yardage situations where 1-2 yards for the first down is success.

- i am basing these comments of the post noting a 1 yard TD.

Other than the 2nd half of the Army game, no team was able to grind out long run-focused drives against the WF defense. That's what the WF defense takes away by leaving the corners on an island and stacking the box. WF's D gives up big plays or forces short drives (3 and out). Why anyone is surprised when the WF offense performs the same as every offense that faced the defense last year?

Quote from rivals free story last year after his commitment: Davidson Day coach Chad Grier said Hartman has received interest from many other high-major schools, but that his commitment to the Deacs is firm.

“He didn’t make this commitment lightly. He wouldn’t have made that decision if he wasn’t sure it was a good fit at Wake Forest,” Grier said. “I think they see the same thing other coaching staffs are seeing. I had a coach from Penn State call me a week ago and told me he’s seen 100 2018 quarterbacks and Sam is the best he’s seen. Many are saying he’s the best ‘18 in the state. He’s only going to get better. He’s not out doing the camp and interview circuit. He’s just trying to get better. Without the hype, when you watch his throw, it’s like ‘wow.’”

I know Chad, and I know Hartman. Let me just say this - take this quote above with a grain of salt. But I hope Sam works out and improves a bunch and is a really good player for us.

I know Chad, and I know Hartman. Let me just say this - take this quote above with a grain of salt. But I hope Sam works out and improves a bunch and is a really good player for us.

Which part, the fact that PSU called or the best top 100 QB?

Uhhh, who? Must be a walk on, very little info out there on him

Welcome Ian. Hopefully, you can become our Hunter Renfrow and catch two TDs in the national championship game several years from now. :thumbsup:

That was fun.......let's do it again
Keep the D's guessing

One of my fav. aspects of the Grobe offenses (not that there was always a lot to like). Some career WR passing numbers:

D.J. Boldin was 1-3 (64 yard TD)
Marshall Williams was 5-6 (174 yds, 2 TDs)
Campanaro was 6-7 (174 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT)

Under Clawson, all we have is:

K.J. Brent 1-1 (19 yds)
Jared Crump 1-1 (24 yds)

Sad !

One of my fav. aspects of the Grobe offenses (not that there was always a lot to like). Some career WR passing numbers:

D.J. Boldin was 1-3 (64 yard TD)
Marshall Williams was 5-6 (174 yds, 2 TDs)
Campanaro was 6-7 (174 yds, 4 TDs, 1 INT)

Under Clawson, all we have is:

K.J. Brent 1-1 (19 yds)
Jared Crump 1-1 (24 yds)

Sad !

What was Nate Morton?
I think he had at least 2 TDs to Riley.

Just wondering how many FB players we have gotten from the state of New Hampshire over the years? Probably the same amount as Vermont

The board continues to fill out. There were a number of offers made over the last 2-3 weeks that I think have a good chance of leading to commitments this summer.

Here are the remaining open spots that I’m most confident about:
1 RB
0-1 TE (not sure if this depends on whether Wake lands top target Ben Bresnahan)
1 outside receiver (would a 2nd be possible?)
1 slot receiver
1 OL
1 DE
1 safety
1 slot corner
1-2 outside corners

Then it gets interesting. That would fill up all of the remaining scholarships, plus require a couple of early graduations. So we’ll have to see whether the staff intends to push beyond that number this spring /summer, or wait to use any spots added via attrition in the nerve-wracking December/January end game.

I’m seeing less focus on Georgia than last cycle, but it’s still the single busiest state for Wake. Just under one third of the recruits that I’m tracking. There’s more focus on Florida this cycle (all parts) than any time since Clawson’s first full recruiting cycle. So it will be interesting to see what comes of that given how tough everyone expects Florida to be this year with all of the new head coaches. But overall it’s the same “inside out” philosophy where the staff starts by blanketing NC, SC and Atlanta. Then extends out to DC/DMV, South Georgia and North Florida. Then they cover outer areas like Kentucky (two offers yesterday), Tennessee, South Florida and maybe even up into New Jersey a little.

I was surprised when Wake offered two WRs from update NY - Paul Woods (Buffalo, NY) and Jalin Cooper (from a small town between Rochester and Niagara Falls) - but both have visited recently and so I’m considering them to be legitimate targets. Woods was in yesterday.

No position has been busier with offers than WR. I’m a little surprised at that given that Wake just took three in the last class, but for a while I was having trouble keeping track of all of the WR offers.

In the past month, top target TE Ben Bresnahan has added offers from Tennessee, NC State, Pitt, Utah and Mississippi State. I think that Wake remains very much in the hunt. Probably still in the lead.

Sam Hartman’s official measures from The Opening-Atlanta: 6’1 / 178.

Who is recruiting the NY/NJ area? Clawson probably still has some connections from up there, not to mention Cohen, Hemphill and Lineburg. It makes sense with connections in that area to recruit it, as we pull students from there often.

Who is recruiting the NY/NJ area? Clawson probably still has some connections from up there, not to mention Cohen, Hemphill and Lineburg. It makes sense with connections in that area to recruit it, as we pull students from there often.

I don't think NY is even a recruiting territory for Wake. Best guess is Woods and Cooper were referrals to the staff (or Clawson himself) via their networks.

I can't remember off the top of my head who covers New Jersey. There's not a lot going on there at the moment from a Wake standpoint.

Seems like it would fit Clawson's strategy of recruiting the overall footprint of Wake's student body. Though the talent there isn't as strong as other places.

Back