• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Not up on other websites as a commit yet. His hudl looks pretty good. BIG BODY. Has quick feet, but crosses them too much when blocking. I think Tabacca got a nice project to work with.

Not up on other websites as a commit yet. His hudl looks pretty good. BIG BODY. Has quick feet, but crosses them too much when blocking. I think Tabacca got a nice project to work with.

He also plays basketball and track. Another multi sport athlete.
His final 3 were Wake, Duke, Northwestern. Obviously a smart kid who values academics as well.

His final 3 were Wake, Duke, Northwestern. Obviously a smart kid who values academics as well.

He is from Milton Academy, same school as Rappleyea. He plays in the ISL (as I myself once did), which is a private New England prep school league. In the last couple of years, the schools have been recruiting players, which has led to an increase in the number of D-1 offers. The league isn't as good as you will see in NC or SC, but the increased number of players going D-1 that I am seeing makes me think he could eventually be a contributor, considering his size. He isn't top 10 in Mass or on any of the New England lists I have seen, so perhaps he is the high upside recruit that has worked so much for Clawson in the past. Anyways, happy to have him in the class, committing to Wake is always a smart decision.

Just got another OL commit in 20 with Zach Vaughan

6' 6" 260. Not yet rated, but I'm sure our coaches have 'rated' him and see lots,of upside potential.
Welcome Zach!
I get excited about OLs.

Multisport athletes seem like better candidates to develop and should have higher ceiling than guys who have concentrated so much in one sport that they have already gotten close to ceiling.

Basketball puts more of a premium on good footwork, so let's hope that is the case with this guy.

Also, he has something of a baby face, meaning he still may have some growing left to do. I suspect some good strength and conditioning work will pay big dividends with him. Looks like he could be 300+ as a RS Soph.

I’ve heard Avery Rabon from Ledford committed to WF yesterday but don’t see anything online yet

There’s not much about him online. His Hudl videos are from 2016.

There’s no way it would be for a scholarship. It would have to be for a walk-on position at TE.

Wake has done a great job developing kids on the OL and hope to see that continue with Vaughan.

I feel like the momentum from last years recruiting has stalled. We went from getting higher three stars and a few 4 stars to pulling in unrated players with no P5 offers. I know clawson and his coaches are excellent at evaluating talent and getting more out of his players, but I still don’t think you can build a roster off mostly unknown players. Clawson will continue to do well here, but I don’t think we can take the next step without stepping it up in recruiting.

I feel like the momentum from last years recruiting has stalled. We went from getting higher three stars and a few 4 stars to pulling in unrated players with no P5 offers. I know clawson and his coaches are excellent at evaluating talent and getting more out of his players, but I still don’t think you can build a roster off mostly unknown players. Clawson will continue to do well here, but I don’t think we can take the next step without stepping it up in recruiting.

Perhaps, I'm giving Clawson too much benefit of the doubt, but don't agree that recruiting has stalled:

- Most recruiting rankings are based upon the array of Power V offers for a particular recruit.
- We are at an early stage of recruiting for 2020 recruits.
- Clawson's strategy has always been to get a large segment of recruiting done through WF junior days when the staff has the opportunity to evaluate a recruit in person.
- WF likes to be the first to offer to get recruits in before they start getting seduced by other big time programs.
- For those recruits that flirt with other programs after accepting a WF offer, their ranking will rise after they develop a set of big time offers.
- For those recruits that shutdown recruiting after accepting the early WF offer, they aren't going to get the recruiting bump based on offer.
- Many of Clawson's most highly rated recent recruits have been the handful of recruits that WF gets to commit late after the offeres have rolled in (Donavan Greene and Nolan Groulx). We aren't at that stage yet, but this Fall, would expect WF to get commits out of that group.

Bottom line is that I trust Clawson and staff's ability to spot talent at the junior days. If they find a recruit before others do, which is a particular talent, those players will never be highly rated unless the recruit allows other schools to get involved.

Perhaps, I'm giving Clawson too much benefit of the doubt, but don't agree that recruiting has stalled:

- Most recruiting rankings are based upon the array of Power V offers for a particular recruit.
- We are at an early stage of recruiting for 2020 recruits.
- Clawson's strategy has always been to get a large segment of recruiting done through WF junior days when the staff has the opportunity to evaluate a recruit in person.
- WF likes to be the first to offer to get recruits in before they start getting seduced by other big time programs.
- For those recruits that flirt with other programs after accepting a WF offer, their ranking will rise after they develop a set of big time offers.
- For those recruits that shutdown recruiting after accepting the early WF offer, they aren't going to get the recruiting bump based on offer.
- Many of Clawson's most highly rated recent recruits have been the handful of recruits that WF gets to commit late after the offeres have rolled in (Donavan Greene and Nolan Groulx). We aren't at that stage yet, but this Fall, would expect WF to get commits out of that group.

Bottom line is that I trust Clawson and staff's ability to spot talent at the junior days. If they find a recruit before others do, which is a particular talent, those players will never be highly rated unless the recruit allows other schools to get involved.

Well said.
Thanks for saving me the time of writing much the same thing.

Good post, Pilch. This time last year Nolan Groulx was a Wisconsin commit and Donovan Greene was a Duke commit.

While I agree with most of the points posted above, I echo what I said about taking the next step requires generally getting higher ranked players. It’s frustrating watching Duke, UNC, and NC State getting players that are clearly our top choices. You can spin it however you want, but we are consistently getting beat for those players, especially this year so far. Exhibit A is unc getting both our top targets at TE (karr and copenhaver). Both were at our big junior days where it was proclaimed they were our top targets. I can give multiple examples if needed, but the point stands. We had some nice recruiting battles that came out on our side last year. So far this year, not much can be said. We can use the excuse that we get guys with no offers early and hold onto them after they get offers, but from someone who follows FB recruiting very closely, we are missing on our top targets to state and duke. I have faith in clawson and think he is amazing for wake, but I wouldn’t say getting these early recruits with no P5 offers is part of their master plan.

Back