• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

40 times are so misunderstood.

First, HS 40 times are often BS as conditions are almost never the same.
Second, everyone gets bigger, stronger faster after HS.
Third, perceptions of 40 times always get skewed by the few freaks a year that run a ridiculous 40 time. Anything under a legit 4.5 is elite
Fourth, straight line speed in football is way overrated. If not the best, Richard Sherman is certainly among the best CBs of the last decade. He ran a 4.56 at the combine -- after college. Jerry Rice is the best receiver, perhaps the best football player of all-time. Rice's 40 time was 4.71 - after college. How did his speed play in the NFL?

If a HS CB prospect ran a legit 4.54 40, that is squarely in solid prospect range. FWIW, would guess Clawson and staff put very little stock in 40 times when evaluating HS prospects, unless the time is either outrageously fast or slow.

Last edited:
Saying a DB is slow for running a 4.54 40 as a sophomore/junior in HS is something I've never seen before (even on tOSU boards). Bravo.

Saying a DB is slow for running a 4.54 40 as a sophomore/junior in HS is something I've never seen before (even on tOSU boards). Bravo.

I must have missed where someone said he is "slow". All I said was it was not great, and it is not IMO

I must have missed where someone said he is "slow". All I said was it was not great, and it is not IMO

The average 40 time for cornerbacks in the NFL combine over the past 5 years was 4.48. He's a HS soph. running the same speed as average pro prospects.

For me it is because he shows a bit of everything. He says 4.56 but looks as fast as Cooley and Edmonds who are 4.4 guys. Other than breakaway speed, he catches the ball out of the backfield, breaks tackles, isn't afraid to throw a block, and just generally shows the ability to do a bit of everything. The in-state guys would've been nice, but I think Towns could end up being just as good despite less hype in his recruiting.

relevant conversation is relevant

Nice Towns looks like a good pickup

Welcome Will Towns!

Also, this is absolutely nitpicky and probably totally just me, but I hate the font we use for the word "committed." The overall design template is solid, all old gold. It's just that font on that one word... it just looks cheesy like it's from some bad mass market WWE poster from Walmart. I guess it's supposed look "primal" or something, but I digress.

Chelen Garnes Safety transfer from Naval Academy

EZYh3gVXsAAZ58K

Played in all 13 games as a true freshman backup safety. 11 tackles, 2 picks. If he has to sit out this year, he'll have 3 more years. Looks like a good pickup.

Played in all 13 games as a true freshman backup safety. 11 tackles, 2 picks. If he has to sit out this year, he'll have 3 more years. Looks like a good pickup.

He'll have to sit our this year.

Questions:
What's the deal with a transfer from one of the service academies? Don't scholarship athletes still have to commit to a two year enlistment/tour post-graduation? Or have they done away with that? How does that effect transferring to a non-Academy school?

Questions:
What's the deal with a transfer from one of the service academies? Don't scholarship athletes still have to commit to a two year enlistment/tour post-graduation? Or have they done away with that? How does that effect transferring to a non-Academy school?

I believe you can leave after second year no strings attached

Back