• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Count me as unsurprised that guitardeac knows a (future) celebrity.

Great report

the point having been the advantage WF has in being in the midst of such a fertile swath of southern football.

Guys like KJ Henry and now Crouch out of Charlotte as two National Top 20 ball players in consecutive years

WF is not yet in the mix with guys like these 2 ^..but getting the 2nd rated player from SC and 2 WR’s in the Top 250 (4 Stars) is a great step for 2020 and beyond

Some nice recognition — Phil Steele’s All-ACC Teams

3 Deacs 1st Team Offense

WR Greg Dortch 5’9 - 173 So
G Phil Haynes 6’4 - 312 SR
C Ryan Anderson 6’6 - 307 SR

2nd Team ACC T Justin Herron 6’5 - 298 SR

3rd Team ACC TB Matt Colburn 5’9 - 205

That is a solid core with ACC candidates likely to emerge with rising Junior RT Jake Benzinger and JR WR Scotty Washington

Top RS FR Newcomers on Offense : Christian Beal,Zac Tom,Sage Surratt,Waydale Jones

Top True Frosh Offense : Mike Edwards,Courtney McKinney,Isaiah Issac & Sam Hartman

Man that is awesome. Three All-ACC OL.

Despite that presence on his All-ACC teams, didn't I read earlier a comment saying he still had us near the bottom of the Atlantic? Shill.

Nobody from the defense mentioned for any of the three teams. Gonna need to score a lot. No experienced QB.

John really pulled his shit together Senior year, worked hard in the offseason, excelled during the season and became a great player and leader of the team. Hinton did not show the same character and perseverance to make the most of his opportunity here. The offense has everything looking good except the uncertainty around the QB position right now. Its a shame because every other position on the offense looks ready to impress.

the point having been the advantage WF has in being in the midst of such a fertile swath of southern football.

Guys like KJ Henry and now Crouch out of Charlotte as two National Top 20 ball players in consecutive years

WF is not yet in the mix with guys like these 2 ^..but getting the 2nd rated player from SC and 2 WR’s in the Top 250 (4 Stars) is a great step for 2020 and beyond

I know KJ always loved WF. Shame he wasn’t the class of 2019, might have had at least a shot in the dark with the current class shaping up. His dad was darn good coach here too

John really pulled his shit together Senior year, worked hard in the offseason, excelled during the season and became a great player and leader of the team. Hinton did not show the same character and perseverance to make the most of his opportunity here. The offense has everything looking good except the uncertainty around the QB position right now. Its a shame because every other position on the offense looks ready to impress.

Why are using the past tense? Makes no sense. He's still hence.

I mean, all of this true, but more than anything it helped that John wasn't running for his life last year in the way he was for the first three years. And that there were actually game-breakers to give the ball to (*cough* Greg Dortch *cough* Matt Colburn *cough* Scotty Washington). That's not just my opinion, that's from about a dozen interviews last season and in the spring.

So yes, John had an incredible season. But the offense still looks mostly the same, just a different distributor.

I worry there isn't anyone on the roster who will be close to senior-year Wolford in terms of decision making in the run/pass option. Still, the rest of the offense (with the exception of TE) is going to be even better next season, so there is a lot to be excited about.

Conor - any insight into the Hartman / Newman battle?

Working on a MTOW about that now, haha. Good timing.

In short -- I doubt there will be much separation in camp. They both had more highs than lows in spring ball and in the spring game. I think they'll both play pretty equally in the first two games, unless one has a clear advantage. It'll be up to Clawson and Ruggiero which one they roll with against BC.

Two interesting tidbits from Clawson's presser during the ACC Football Extravaganza:

- Clawson loves the new redshirting rule allowing freshman to play up to 4 games without losing their redshirt status. He said that it benefits WF as much if not more than any other D-1 school. He said that the coaches have come up with a plan to use true frosh without burning the redshirts during the season, but would not reveal the plan. He did specifically say that it will help special teams. He said WF has more depth this year than at any point during his 5 years at WF, and that the rule will only increase WF's depth.

- Clawson said that Hinton will help WF "at some point" during the season, but he made it seem (and admit that I am reading into his comments) that it was unlikely that Hinton will step in immediately and play as soon as the suspension is lifted (game 4 is Notre Dame). Naturally, how quickly Hinton gets back into the mix will depend on how either or both Newman and Hartman play in the first 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm excited about both Newman and Hartman. Newman at 6'4" 240-245 can add a whole new dimension to our O.

I mean once you lose the starting job for three games there's no guarantees in college football.

Newman becoming the clear choice for the season would be great IMO. Guy has awesome size, and has been in the offense for 3 years. I’m high on Hartman, and can see him being a 3 year starter. But if the time isn’t now for Newman, it’s likely never.

“Hinton did not show the same character and perseverance to make the most of his opportunity here.”

Hinton is a college student. No one made Hinton pick up a weapon to defend our nation where the ultimate question of perseverance is answered. Since he’s a person allowed to be a college kid, like his coach, I’ll allow him the chance to prove the naysayers wrong.

I see lots of positive upside all around. Yes, maybe Hinton opened the gate to be superseded by an upstart but only time will tell.

“Hinton did not show the same character and perseverance to make the most of his opportunity here.”

Hinton is a college student. No one made Hinton pick up a weapon to defend our nation where the ultimate question of perseverance is answered. Since he’s a person allowed to be a college kid, like his coach, I’ll allow him the chance to prove the naysayers wrong.

I see lots of positive upside all around. Yes, maybe Hinton opened the gate to be superseded by an upstart but only time will tell.

Perseverance (noun) - continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition.
“I mean, you can’t have rules for convenience,” Clawson said. “We have rules and policies, and the team knows what they are, and whether you’re the starting quarterback or the eighth-string kicker, there’s got to be consistency in the application of it.”

You don't have to be in the military to show perseverance. It can simply mean you are a student athlete, and despite the ability to break rules/temptations you may find on a college campus, you show character and the ability to lead men by example. This includes following a set of rules that applies to all of your teammates, most of whom were able to not be suspended for breaking those rules. To me a QB on the team needs to be the leader of the offense, and if you can't do something as simple as following team rules how can you expect men/teammates to follow you?

Since when does being in college remove you from accountability for your actions? Its so tiring to constantly hear the narrative "oh, he's a college student we all made mistakes in college." Yes, many do and some get away with it, while others face consequences. Just because one person fondly recalls getting away with a misdemeanor in college, doesn't mean the next guy wasn't caught and had life-altering consequences. If you want to be a leader, you can't be the screwup friend who gets in trouble. College should prepare you for the real world you are about to enter. You could be the most promising employee in a new group of hires, but if you break some simple security protocol and put company secrets at risk, should you not be at risk of losing your job, possibly permanently?

John was the guy who started at the company and looked like he would never make it past his entry-level position, but worked his butt off and became the best manager in the region. Hinton was the guy who aced the interview and came in with the nice-looking resume but then showed up to work late and failed to meet his potential. Thats what I'm equating to with the difference in preparing to shine when given the opportunity.

I don't know what Hinton and teammate did to warrant the suspension. Was the punishment harsh, weak, or about right? The comments above are a real frank review of such an issue and how one could respond to 'shape up' in a leadership position. I was once a team captain and think this advice is spot on.

Back