• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Pegula is a dunce.

Sounds like McDermott is calling all the shots there now. Makes sense with his impressive 0-0 coaching record

I thought Ashland University was an online university.

9dc.png

Rams and Chargers new stadium delayed until 2020.

NFL considering shortening OT to 10 minutes.

The "let's shorten OT for player safety" argument is pretty weak. 22 (granted, a little surprised there were that many) of the 1,280 regular-season games since the OT rule change have gone 10+ minutes in OT. So 1.7% of all games.

Just gonna lead to more ties which people will bitch about. Hopefully maybe it'll convince coaches to be more aggressive and go for TDs rather than FGs in OT. But given NFL coaches' predilection with taking the safe option, I won't be holding my breath

Hard to think there is any reason for this besides reducing the chance of overrun in Sunday games. Don't want to join a marquee afternoon game in process after a long overtime in non-local markets. Don't want to push back 60 Minutes too long either. And cutting commercial breaks is out of the question.

Team that gets the ball first is gonna run some serious clock too. Not sure how fair it is that each team gets a possession when the second team gets the ball with 1:00 left

Hard to think there is any reason for this besides reducing the chance of overrun in Sunday games. Don't want to join a marquee afternoon game in process after a long overtime in non-local markets. Don't want to push back 60 Minutes too long either. And cutting commercial breaks is out of the question.

Spot on.

NFL considering shortening OT to 10 minutes.

It appears this is a go.

Plus, they're relaxing TD celebration restrictions!

Examples of celebrations to be allowed under the new guidelines:

»Using the football as a prop after a touchdown
»Celebrating on the ground
»Group demonstrations

The "let's shorten OT for player safety" argument is pretty weak. 22 (granted, a little surprised there were that many) of the 1,280 regular-season games since the OT rule change have gone 10+ minutes in OT. So 1.7% of all games.

Just gonna lead to more ties which people will bitch about. Hopefully maybe it'll convince coaches to be more aggressive and go for TDs rather than FGs in OT. But given NFL coaches' predilection with taking the safe option, I won't be holding my breath

So much this. The playoff margin is so thin (and coaches' jobs are so insecure), the "a tie is better than a loss" mindset is going to prevail.

is there some can't miss #1 pick for next year cause the Jets are clearly tanking?

So much this. The playoff margin is so thin (and coaches' jobs are so insecure), the "a tie is better than a loss" mindset is going to prevail.

If it's week 4, how do you know that it's going to be 9-6-1 > 9-7 and not 9-6-1 < 10-6? (I'm asking the coaches that play it safe with this mindset, not CantStandYa)

Back