• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

The term "franchise QB" changes based on the franchise. I think all of them could be franchise QB's, for Minnesota. Would any of them be franchise QB's in New Orleans? Probably not. It's all a game of give and take, and depends on where else your money is allocated.

The problem is it looks like they're setting themselves up for a massive hedge.

Last edited:
Bridgewater was active backup to Keenum at season's end. So Vikings have some knowledge as to what he can do post injury. Keenum did a really good job as their QB. Bradford is starting QB for "all IR" team.

Minn staff has a lot to sort out in a short period of time.

I’m defining “franchise QB” as a guy several teams would lock up to a long term deal.

I’m defining “franchise QB” as a guy several teams would lock up to a long term deal.

Bridgewater fits that if he's healthy enough to play. And I think you'll see a bidding war for Keenum right after Cousins gets paid.

Keenum has a season of good work, with a div title and run to NFC championship on his resume. I agree, he is probably the guy who gets paid after Kirk.

He may or may not be. Foles is not a free agent. He is under contract to Philly for next season. Keenum is a free agent.

That, plus Wentz may not be available to start the season. Wentz went down around Thanksgiving or so, and ACLs usually take about 9 months. Add to that he's a running QB. So I suspect Philly will want to keep Foles around 1 more year. And if they do trade him, maybe it's more likely they do it midseason after Wentz comes back healthy, like NE did with Garrapolo this year.

Franchising Keenum seems dumb. I think we can all agree he’s never going to be an elite NFL QB.

So if they franchise him:

He plays great and they have to pay him even more.

He plays shitty and they wasted a ton of money.

Franchising Keenum seems dumb. I think we can all agree he’s never going to be an elite NFL QB.

So if they franchise him:

He plays great and they have to pay him even more.

He plays shitty and they wasted a ton of money.

Agreed

Yup. You don't want to take the chance of giving up on Bridgewater at $9mil, then he plays great elsewhere. So sign him and Bradford. Then let Buffalo and Arizona get in a bidding war for Keenum after the Jets ink Cousins.

AJ McCarron won his grievance against the Bungles and he is now a free agent. He's somewhat of an unknown quantity, but he has shown that he can play in the limited opportunity he had to play. He should have led the Bungles to a playoff win against the Steelers, but Vontaze Burfict, Pac-Man Jones and Jeremy Hill combined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

If I'm Jacksonville, Denver or the New York Jets, I'm calling his agent immediately.

AJ McCarron won his grievance against the Bungles and he is now a free agent. He's somewhat of an unknown quantity, but he has shown that he can play in the limited opportunity he had to play. He should have led the Bungles to a playoff win against the Steelers, but Vontaze Burfict, Pac-Man Jones and Jeremy Hill combined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

If I'm Jacksonville, Denver or the New York Jets, I'm calling his agent immediately.

I've never been impressed with McCarron. He was awful in that playoff game against Pittsburgh. I'd take Bradford or Taylor over him in a heartbeat. Having said that, I'm confident some team will overpay him in a few weeks.

Sounds like Vikings are NOT going to franchise Case Keenum. Indications are that they will be a bidder for Kirk Cousins.

Back