• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

LOL. The Jags announced their pick from London. Saw this week that Khan is trying to buy Wembley Stadium.

State has back to back players selected. Their entire front four was picked in the first 128 picks. State has a strong draft history from a consistently mediocre program.

Duke to Texans as third pick of the 6th round. Think lots of teams missed on him earlier.

The Browns suffer from battered wife's syndrome. The WR they just picked after being arrested at UF (and suspended for the third time) claimed that: "I was way too stoned to want to have sex with anybody let alone rape them." Surprisingly, he failed his drug test at the combine.

Really? Seriously?
That quote is both sad and hilarious.
I would never draft someone that said that. It shows he has no brain at all.

Former Deac James Looney picked by Green Bay. What could have been. If only Joe played for the panthers.

Any word on Wake UDFAs?

Of all the great or good drafts I've thought the Panthers have had, Mel Kiper chooses this one to give a good grade to. Mind-boggling!

Carolina Panthers: A-
Top needs: Wide receiver, cornerback, defensive end

Like their NFC South rivals in Atlanta, the Panthers went with a wide receiver in Round 1, taking Maryland's D.J. Moore at No. 24. I'm a big fan of Moore, who is more than a workout warrior, though he put up freakish numbers at the combine with a 4.42 40 time and 39.5-inch vertical. He was productive for the Terps, and he's great after the catch. He runs through arm tackles, and he's built like a tailback. The Panthers needed a guy like that for Cam Newton, and it wasn't going to be veteran Torrey Smith (another Terp), who was brought in last month. Moore could be Newton's favorite target in a hurry.

After parting ways with Daryl Worley, the Panthers needed cornerbacks to compete for the spot opposite James Bradberry. They added two on Day 2 with Donte Jackson (pick 55), one of the fastest players in this class (4.32 40), and Rashaan Gaulden (85), whom I had rated as more of a sixth-round talent. (Remember that veteran safety Kurt Coleman is no longer with the team.) Jackson is only 5-10 and 178 pounds, but he's an elite athlete. Ian Thomas could develop into the heir apparent to Greg Olsen, and to get my fourth-ranked tight end at 104 is great value. Marquis Haynes (136) is another good player on Day 3.

If there's an issue with this class, it's not getting a pass-rusher. Are they really going to rely on 38-year-old Julius Peppers to play almost 500 snaps again? Mario Addison is also going to be 31 by Week 1, and you face Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Jameis Winston six times a year in that division. I liked the depth of this class, though, and won't ding it too much. There is value from top to bottom.

There's word this morning that John Wolford will attend the Jets rookie camp.

Duke dropping to the 6th round is additional support for Bates having made a smart decision. Duke was predicted much higher than the 6th round after his junior season. Playing through injury this past season hurt his draft position.

I'm so excited to watch Duke up close for the next few years. The front office already said he's moving to OLB, which seems like a good fit. The Texans were very short on OLB depth last year, especially after Mercilus and Scarlett got hurt, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick and get plenty of time. Mercilus will command more than the Texans can afford in the FA market after the 2019 season, so Duke will have a great opportunity to learn, grow, and show that he's worth the second contract at a time that they'll need him.

Cam Serigne to NO is the only UDFA I can find.

Cam was a mini-camp invitee, not a UDFA. It's been discussed on the Bates thread.

Time for Clawson to use the Bates III and Ejiofor getting drafted to OUT-RECRUIT Duke. Duke is still a little ahead or even with us in FB recruiting and our record vs. Duke is 1-5 since 2012.

Even more to ask "why the heck are you choosing Duke?" or really Vandy, ECU and a few others we compete with for good players in the 3-4 star world.

That Duke game is a key game to win every year - which we did for 12 straight.

From 2004-2012, Duke U. had 0 as in zero players drafted.

Wake Forest from 2004-2012: 17

Or More Recently:
2018 WF - 2; Duke - 0 (unsure if any of those guys recently signed UDFA); James Looney would have been another for us no doubt.
2017 WF - 1 (Lee is active); Duke - 0
2016 WF - 0; Duke - 0 (seeing a pattern here)
2015 WF - 1 (K. Johnson is active); Duke - 2
2014 WF - 1 (Camp still with Ravens?); Duke -1
2013 WF - 1 (Bohanon still with Jags); Duke - 1
2012 WF - 4 (Wilber and Looney active; Bush not; Givens in Canada); Duke - surprise, 0

That's a decent disparity recently in our favor 10-4. Or we could use 27-4 since 2004.

So, for recruiting, first, someone go bitchslap Elrod and then --- gotta think of ourselves as a decent spot to MAKE IT TO THE LEAGUE. And/or get the WF degree as plan B.

Back