• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Sounds like Vikings are NOT going to franchise Case Keenum. Indications are that they will be a bidder for Kirk Cousins.

But then they'll lose a few really good defensive players after next season. I still think the wiser move would be to let Keenum leave and pay Bridgewater his $9mil and pay Bradford for 1 year, hedging your bet on Bridgewater's health. Cousins is a legit franchise QB, but he's not elite and I wouldn't pay him $30mil per unless I was desperate. The Jets are such a desperate team, they're flush with cash, and picking at #6 could very well leave them choosing the 4th best rookie QB because they're behind NYG, Cle and Den.

Looks like the NFL is going to adopt the college PI rule of 15 yards max and do away with spot of the foul ball placement over 15 yards. In a league pushing for scoring, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as (unlike college) NFL CBs are usually close enough to just tackle the WR if it is over 15 yards downfield, especially in the endzone. The cap number for deep threat WRs just dropped significantly.

This definitely completely ends the is Flacco elite conversation, the entire offense needs to be revamped now.

The college PI rule makes sense for college because it doesn’t overpunish amateur pass coverage and overpunish for amateur officiating.

NFL DBs are pros. The officials are pros. The DBs would abuse it.

The NFL should better distinguish between a hold (15 yards) and PI (spot) and lighten up on the D PI calls. Face guarding without contact should be legal.

Is the nfl the one professional league that continuously adopts rule changes that make the game worse?

This definitely completely ends the is Flacco elite conversation, the entire offense needs to be revamped now.

He never was elite, and I'm a Ravens fan. Elite are guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and maybe a couple of other guys. The next category is legit franchise QBs, and Joe is somewhere in that list. He's a lot like Eli - type B personality, good arm and can make every throw and statuesque. Both can help win you a SB if they have good OLs, but they struggle when they have bad OLs because they are statuesque.

As for PI, the football guys on this morning's shows were saying there wouldn't be a change this year. I say good. I prefer the pro rule because the refs allow a little arm wrestling and aren't as prone to throw PI flags. In college, you get a PI flag if you breathe on a WR. And because it's only 15 yards, college CBs will tackle WRs who are about to get past them. That makes for less exciting plays down the field. If you went to the college rule, I bet the refs would err on the side of the WRs, like they do in college, and throw more PI flags when there is minimal contact.

The college PI rule makes sense for college because it doesn’t overpunish amateur pass coverage and overpunish for amateur officiating.

NFL DBs are pros. The officials are pros. The DBs would abuse it.

The NFL should better distinguish between a hold (15 yards) and PI (spot) and lighten up on the D PI calls. Face guarding without contact should be legal.

Are you suggesting changing defensive holding to a 15-yard penalty? Because it is currently a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down.

P sure faceguarding without contact is legal. It wasn't always but near certain that's not a penalty right now

Are you suggesting changing defensive holding to a 15-yard penalty? Because it is currently a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down.

Changing the penalty for defensive holding on receivers from 5 yards plus automatic first down to 15 yards without the automatic first down would be an interesting dynamic. It might result in more holding calls when it is very long down - 15 plus yards for a first down.

P sure faceguarding without contact is legal. It wasn't always but near certain that's not a penalty right now

It's legal, but it gets called way too often.

I typed 15 instead of 5. I'm good with the D holding penalty staying the same. I just feel like sometimes they call PI when it should be a hold.

Jax paid Blake Bortles. He got a three year extension. Remove one team from the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes.

Jax paid Blake Bortles. He got a three year extension. Remove one team from the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes.

Yeah, but isn't it really a deal where he's only on the books for $10mil this year? I think they bring in someone to compete with him. Troy Wingo's bet this a.m. was that Bridgewater ends up in Jax on a 1 year deal, and he and Bortles would battle it out for the starting job. That makes some sense. But I still think Minn loses out to NYJ for Cousins. Either that or they have to dump half their defense next year. I think they're better off keeping Keenum at a significantly cheaper price tag and maintaining a good D and OL. I was reading where some other folks think Cousins ends up in Denver. I don't see it. If I want to play for what would be a good team with a good D, I'd choose Minn over Denver because Minn has revamped their OL, and Denver has 1 of the worst OLs in the league.

Yeah, but isn't it really a deal where he's only on the books for $10mil this year? I think they bring in someone to compete with him. Troy Wingo's bet this a.m. was that Bridgewater ends up in Jax on a 1 year deal, and he and Bortles would battle it out for the starting job. That makes some sense. But I still think Minn loses out to NYJ for Cousins. Either that or they have to dump half their defense next year. I think they're better off keeping Keenum at a significantly cheaper price tag and maintaining a good D and OL. I was reading where some other folks think Cousins ends up in Denver. I don't see it. If I want to play for what would be a good team with a good D, I'd choose Minn over Denver because Minn has revamped their OL, and Denver has 1 of the worst OLs in the league.

All you said could be true. All I am saying is that if Jax paid Bortles that much, they aren't going to be in the 25+/80+ territory it will probably take to get Cousins.

The Minnesota QB situation is still quite a muddle. They theoretically have 3 NFL starting QBs, but they also may well have none.

But getting rid of all of those QBs to chase Cousins seems like a really bad idea.

But getting rid of all of those QBs to chase Cousins seems like a really bad idea.

Exactly. That is why I'm not sure they do it. Maybe bring back Bridgewater on a team friendly "make good" type of contract with either Bradford or Keenum (not both) as alternatives?

Why would Bridgewater go to Jax to compete for a job when they aren't going to pay him as much as someone else is likely to ? They've already got $10 million tied up with Bortles this year. How is Bridgewater going to get a favorable multi-year contract for a QB competition ?

Agree with you and Blue. I think their better decision is to keep Bradford and Bridgewater on a 1 year contract, or bite the bullet and give Keenum a nice but not yuge contract for 4-5 years. And Blue, it sounds like Minnesota is going after Cousins and letting Bridgewater walk, though that could be a smokescreen. And no team is going to give Bridgewater a long term contract or is handing him the job without having an alternative because of his knee. That's why I thought Wingo's idea was interesting. But then again, he had Cousins going to Denver. Biff, the only team that knows about Bridgewater's health is Minnesota, and if they're passing on him, then no one else is going to offer him a real multi-year contract. And I think he's going to want to prove he's worth a $20mil per contract, so that's why I think he's going to get a 1 year prove it contract at a lower rate with incentives.

If I'm Bridgewater, not sure I go to a team who just paid their incumbent starter and is offering me "a chance to compete." I'm probably looking for a team who will look at me as their starting QB who needs to show enough to keep his job. Unless the money is such that a competitive situation pays better.

Complete guess, but I expect Minnesota will find the price tag for Cousins to be too high... They'll go w/ Bridgewater AND Bradford hoping one of them can stay healthy. Keenum will go elsewhere for too much money and probably suck.

Zimmer's comments on the whole thing were actually pretty funny... Quipped that if they make the wrong decision, he'll probably get fired. He was pretty candid about all of the potential QBs.

Back