• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

24. Carolina Panthers, WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama
The Panthers got Cam Newton a dynamic intermediate pass-catching threat last year in Christian McCaffrey, but the team’s brain trust still needs to add talent to the downfield pass-catching corps. Ridley’s not a prototypical no. 1, but he’s an excellent route runner who knows how to separate downfield and can pick up yards after the catch. He’s the perfect complement to Devin Funchess in new offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s passing attack, and could be integral in getting Newton’s completion percentage up in 2018.

Cam will be so much better when his receivers can get open.

The Panthers got Cam Newton a dynamic intermediate pass-catching threat last year in Christian McCaffrey, but the team’s brain trust still needs to add talent to the downfield pass-catching corps. Ridley’s not a prototypical no. 1, but he’s an excellent route runner who knows how to separate downfield and can pick up yards after the catch. He’s the perfect complement to Devin Funchess in new offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s passing attack, and could be integral in getting Newton’s completion percentage up in 2018.

Pass. Go got Watkins and draft BPA

Complete guess, but I expect Minnesota will find the price tag for Cousins to be too high... They'll go w/ Bridgewater AND Bradford hoping one of them can stay healthy. Keenum will go elsewhere for too much money and probably suck.

Zimmer's comments on the whole thing were actually pretty funny... Quipped that if they make the wrong decision, he'll probably get fired. He was pretty candid about all of the potential QBs.

He probably is afraid there are four wrong answers available without a right one out of those four. B's get hurt a lot. How much of pre-injury Bridgewater would he have? Both Keenum and Cousins may be good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to win a Superbowl. Can the Vikings defense carry them the rest of the way?

He probably is afraid there are four wrong answers available without a right one out of those four. B's get hurt a lot. How much of pre-injury Bridgewater would he have? Both Keenum and Cousins may be good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to win a Superbowl. Can the Vikings defense carry them the rest of the way?

Can't carry them after next season if they sign Cousins - they'll have to lose too many good players. The more I think about the Vikes, the more I think they end up with Keenum. Proved he could run their offense very well this year. I had been thinking about the Bradford/Bridgewater combo, but Zimmer described Bradford's knee as degenerative the other day. If they can get Keenum to agree to a multi year at $17-20mil per, that's probably better than Cousins at $27mil per in terms of keeping their D together.

Nyheim Hines just ran a 4.39 at the combine. Glad he's gone. Barkley with a 4.41. Best player in the draft, and it might not be close.

Is this not a great WR draft? This mock has Ridley as the first WR off the board, but he's described as "not a prototypical no. 1"....?

Nyheim Hines just ran a 4.39 at the combine. Glad he's gone. Barkley with a 4.41. Best player in the draft, and it might not be close.

I don't think I've ever seen a guy with Barkley's combination of size, speed and cutting ability. Bo had the size and speed, but he wasn't exactly shifty. Barkley reminds me of OJ. And he can block and catch.

I don't know. Mocks have Carolina picking one of 4 or 5 guys as the second WR off the board - most have Ridley going earlier. I wonder how many of these 4-5 they have us picking in the first would still be there in the second.

I highlighted what I did bc Carolina lacks "good route runners" who can create "separation" (ie, get open). I just want to see "good route runner" in the profile of whatever WR Carolina takes. I think that is more important than hands and speed for us this year (to an extent - we let Ginn go bc he lacked the ability to catch).

We've got CMC, Samuel, and Byrd for speed. I definitely agree route running and separation are key.

Barkley with a 4.41. Best player in the draft, and it might not be close.

And benched 29 reps. :eek:

Guy is going to be a monster for a long time. Thankfully the NFC South doesn't pick until 7th.

Last edited:
And benched 29 reps. :eek:

Guy is going to be a monster for a long time. Thankfully the NFC South doesn't pick until 7th.

The Bucs could trade up. They really need a RB.

The Bucs could trade up. They really need a RB.

I don't think he gets past #3. Cle could go RB at 1 and QB at 4, though I doubt it. NYG may draft Barkley, but I think they're crazy if they pass up their chance to draft a franchise QB. Not sure when they're going to be this high again. And Irsay has already said they're taking Barkley. Good luck to Frank Reich getting along with that over medicated idiot. So if you're down further, you're going to have to do some mortgaging if you're going to trade up for him. If you're drafting like 8-13, and you want a RB, you may be better off just taking Guice, who also doesn't suck.

Last edited:
Back