• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I forget. Is she the 1 who was going to be the place sitter, or does she have long term aspirations at this level?

The article says she plans to run again.

I forget. Is she the 1 who was going to be the place sitter, or does she have long term aspirations at this level?

She is the one who was going to be the place sitter, but is now saying she will run again.

Alabama needs to start recruiting Democrats to run for the House. I posted this on the Moore thread, but I'll expand upon it here.

If yesterday's Alabama Senate race had been a House election, the Republicans, who got *fewer* votes, would have won 6 out of 7 seats, and the Democrats, who *won* the vote statewide, only 1 out of 7. That's how gerrymandered Alabama is.
25289374_10154848299540216_2992369197179841921_n.jpg

So that's an interesting story about gerrymander, but it's worth it to those numbers from the 2017 Senate election to the 2016 House elections.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_Alabama,_2016

District 1 - R 96.4% vs. write-ins
District 2 - R 48.8% to D 40.5%
District 3 - R 66.9% to D 32.9%
District 4 - R 98.5% vs. write-ins
District 5 - R 66.7% vs. D 33.1%
District 6 - R 74.5% vs. D 25.4%
District 7 - D 98.4% vs. write-ins

Alabama has 7 House representatives and 3 just coasted in unopposed. How is that democracy?

District 1 wasn’t even contested and went 47% for Jones.
District 2 actually had a higher margin for Moore than the R rep.
District 3 was a blowout in 2016 and within 3% points on Tuesday.
District 4 is locked in for Republicans, but there’s 30% who went the other way.
District 5 was a 33% blowout last year and within 0.3% this year.
District 6 was near a 50% blowout last year and near 4% on Tuesday.
District 7 is clearly meant to pen in black voters, but there’s 21% who seemingly get no voice in regular elections.

One uncontested election and three blowouts are seemingly in reach next year. District 5 is Mo Brooks who recently announced he has prostate cancer. Democrats should key in on that district. Huntsville is one of the more educated parts of the state.

Last edited:
How the Trump Resistance Went Pro in Alabama

But Indivisible’s efforts appear to have been particularly well targeted. Of the six counties that the group focussed on in Alabama, three of them—Madison, Lee, and Mobile—flipped from having a majority of their voters select Trump last November to a majority choosing Jones. In the other three counties where it knocked on doors, made calls, and sent the majority of its texts—Houston, Dale, and Henry—the G.O.P.’s winning margins shrank by more than twenty points.

In September, there were five Indivisible chapters in the state, the biggest of which was in Huntsville, a bluish city in the north, which regularly draws a hundred members to its protests and meetups. During the Jones campaign, Indivisible’s five local chapters knocked on fifty-five hundred doors to get out the vote. “We had a lot of Alabamians talking to Alabamians,” Slate Goodwin, a twenty-seven-year-old member of the Huntsville chapter, told me yesterday. “Not a whole lot of out-of-staters knocking or calling. It was mostly here in the community, and I think that really played a huge role.”

Good article. The win is truly stunning. Just ran a few numbers myself.

Jones captured 92% of Hillary's vote (671K to 730K).

More people voted for Jones than Hillary in 10 of 67 counties. Those 10 counties made up about 30% of the total vote. Jones only won one of those counties. Shelby County (outside of Birmingham) went from 24% Hillary to 42% Jones.

If Indivisible can help do this in Alabama, they can certainly do it elsewhere.

After Alabama loss, Trump has ambitious plans to campaign in 2018 midterms

The president has told advisers he wants to travel extensively and hold rallies and that he is looking forward to spending much of 2018 campaigning. He has also told aides that the election would largely determine what he can get done — and that he expects he would be blamed for losses, such as last week’s humiliating defeat that handed an Alabama Senate seat to a Democrat for the first time in 25 years.

So a president who lost a popular vote is going to go around the country to make hundreds of popular votes about him.

So a president who lost a popular vote is going to go around the country to make hundreds of popular votes about him.

Outside of the obscene waste of taxpayer dollars that will ensue, I’m fine with Trump doing this. It’s likely better for the Dems than whatever Perez and co. have planned for 2018.

Outside of the obscene waste of taxpayer dollars that will ensue, I’m fine with Trump doing this. It’s likely better for the Dems than whatever Perez and co. have planned for 2018.

If it's anything beside hide in the background and silently funnel money to local Indivisible chapters, yes.

No doubt Trump is convinced that he's wildly popular across the country, and that if he just makes personal appearances and gives the word his supporters will defeat Democrats everywhere in November 2018. That's actually the best thing that could happen for Democrats in most states and areas - have Trump personally campaign for GOP candidates, as it will guarantee a large Democratic turnout.

No doubt Trump is convinced that he's wildly popular across the country, and that if he just makes personal appearances and gives the word his supporters will defeat Democrats everywhere in November 2018. That's actually the best thing that could happen for Democrats in most states and areas - have Trump personally campaign for GOP candidates, as it will guarantee a large Democratic turnout.

This is the correct take. There is no one on the Dem bench who has the charisma of an Obama or Bubba. But right about now, we don't need that. Trump has almost every Dem and independent riled up to go vote against him and his surrogates. Running bland and inoffensive Dems in bluish and purple states is an effective strategy at this point. Look no further than VA as proof. And this is again why it's misguided to continue to call for his impeachment or resignation.

Really? Seems like a lot of the VA candidates were fresh and interesting.

Bland and inoffensive Dems aren't going to get people out to vote.

If it's anything beside hide in the background and silently funnel money to local Indivisible chapters, yes.

Interview with Tom Perez on what they did in Alabama was basically this. (Let the campaign lead the way, provide resources and staff):

Link

Back