• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

[h=1]Danica Roem Is Really, Really Boring[/h]
Last week Danica Roem made history, winning election to Virginia’s House of Delegates as an openly transgender woman. She’ll be the only openly transgender person in a state legislature anywhere in America. And the man she defeated had held his seat for more than a quarter-century.
So when I was watching CNN a few days later and she popped up, I perked up. I realized that I somehow hadn’t caught her other media appearances since her sign-of-the-times triumph.
The CNN anchor, Kate Bolduan, invited her to reflect on it.
And Roem talked about … traffic.
Before using the word transgender, without draping herself in the glory of a trailblazer, she mentioned the awful congestion on Route 28 in Fairfax County, especially “through Centreville and part of Yorkshire,” and her determination to follow through on her central campaign promise “to replace traffic lights with overpasses where possible.”
Traffic lights. Overpasses. My jaw hit the ground, because she knew full well that Bolduan was after something juicier than a local-infrastructure tutorial. Then my eyes gleamed with admiration, because she had nonetheless delivered that tutorial — and with it, a crucial message:
Being transgender isn’t the whole of her identity, the extent of her purpose or the crux of her mission. The obstacles in her life are particular, but the hell of rush hour is universal. And her job as a lawmaker is to attend to the nitty-gritty that has an immediate, measurable impact on all of her constituents. When circumstances warrant it, she can be every bit as boring as the next politician.
This approach wouldn’t be praiseworthy if Roem seemed in any way to be hiding a part of herself or ashamed of it. But that’s not the case at all.

Putting this in the midterm thread because national pubs will undoubtedly face a similar attack should Roy Moore make it to the Senate.

"With Virginia’s first openly transgender elected official preparing to take her seat in the House of Delegates, the Republican leader of that chamber says it is time to end a tradition of addressing lawmakers by formal male and female pronouns.

Instead of the “gentleman” or “gentlewoman” from a given jurisdiction, lawmakers will all be referred to as “delegate” if Republicans maintain control of the chamber, House Majority Leader M. Kirkland Cox (R-Colonial Heights) said through a spokesman Tuesday."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cbe2af58c3a_story.html?utm_term=.895c618f0ad1

It would be hilarious if the election of a trans woman goads Republicans into making the extremely progressive move of banishing gendered references.

RICHMOND — It has all the elements of a political whodunit, even if the “who” part is no mystery. Nearly everyone agrees: The registrar did it.
But why she moved 83 voters from one Virginia House of Delegates district to another, no one seems to know. Former Fredericksburg registrar Juanita Pitchford cannot say. She died in April.
But the adjustments she made in the 28th and 88th districts live on, throwing two House seats and control of the entire chamber into highly litigated limbo nearly three weeks after Election Day.

Geez. Why is voting so hard?

She’s amazing and I hope she does well in politics for a very long time.

She's the type of politician we all want. Hard working. Focused on the local issues.

This seemed inappropriate for the Roy Moore thread, so I'm putting it here.

Doug Jones targeting youth vote in Alabama special election

The former federal prosecutor, who is running against ex-Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore in Tuesday's special election, has also met with students at UAB, Alabama State, Talladega College, Tuskegee University, Alabama A&M, Oakwood University and the University of Alabama at Huntsville, where Jones held a campaign rally last week.

Besides the on-the-ground outreach, the Jones campaign is using other tactics to connect with younger voters, including a texting program and a digital ad campaign that reaches "younger voters who watch TV less frequently but are spending more time online," the campaign said.

Figuring out how to get young people to the polls isn't easy and will be big for 2018, so hopefully Dems will be keeping an eye on results and take notes if the campaign does well in GOTV (even if he doesn't win.)

Also interesting that they specifically mentioned PSA, which made me think of this NY Times article:

The Voices in Blue America’s Head

Not to be outdone, Roy Moore is targeting youth and has met with students at middle schools in the greater Gadsden area.

This seemed inappropriate for the Roy Moore thread, so I'm putting it here.

Doug Jones targeting youth vote in Alabama special election

Figuring out how to get young people to the polls isn't easy and will be big for 2018, so hopefully Dems will be keeping an eye on results and take notes if the campaign does well in GOTV (even if he doesn't win.)

Also interesting that they specifically mentioned PSA, which made me think of this NY Times article:

The Voices in Blue America’s Head

Tuskegee, Alabama State, Oakwood, Talladega, and Alabama A&M are historically black colleges, which I think is also a really good angle to Jones to take.

Gov. Mark Dayton likely to tap Lt. Gov Tina Smith as Franken replacement

If Smith is appointed, however, state Sen. Michelle Fischbach, R-Paynesville, the president of the Senate, would become the lieutenant governor.

That in turn would set up a special election for Fischbach’s Senate seat along with the seat being vacated by Sen. Dan Schoen, DFL-St. Paul Park, who recently announced his own resignation after allegations of sexual harassment.

The state Senate is currently controlled by Republicans by one vote, which means the DFL could take control if it holds the Schoen seat and flips the Fischbach district.

Analysis: With Phil Bredesen in the US Senate race, can Democrats win?

Despite Bredesen's announcement garnering that national attention, there's disagreement among political experts on whether his entrance truly means Tennessee is up for grabs.

Jennifer Duffy, senior editor for The Cook Political Report, wrote Thursday the former Nashville mayor's candidacy gives the race toss-up status.

"For Republicans, this seat which seemed like a very safe bet at the start of the cycle is now one of its most vulnerable," Duffy wrote.

Kondik disagreed that Tennessee's Senate race is now a toss up, saying it remains likely Republican.

"I certainly think that Bredesen turns a race that Democrats were almost certainly going to lose to one where they might have a fighting chance to win," Kondik said.

I was out with some friends last night to go see the WellRed Comedy Tour featuring Trae Crowder (aka the Liberal Redneck). On the way home, were talking about gerrymandering. A buddy mentioned that Democrats far outvoted Republicans in the VA House elections yet they're currently waiting on recounts and disputed elections to determine if Republicans will maintain control.

I ran the numbers based on Ballotpedia: https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_elections,_2017

Total votes: 2,419,656
Democrats: 1,304,241 (53.9%)
Republicans: 1,076,108 (44.5%)
Other: 39,307 (1.6%)

So Democrats had 9.4% more votes than Republicans but most likely will not take control of the House by getting 50 or more seats.

But that's not the whole story. There were 40 of 100 districts in which the candidate run unopposed. 28 Democrats ran unopposed and 12 Republicans ran unopposed.

566,419 voted for Democrats in districts without a Republican candidate. That's 43.4% of the Democrat votes and 23.4% of total votes.
220,150 voted for Republicans in districts without a Democrat candidate. That's 20.5% of the Republican votes and 9.1% of total votes.

This was the voted tallies in the 60 contested races.

Republicans = 855,958 (79.5% of total Republican votes)
Democrats = 737,822 (56.6% of total Democrats votes)

Republicans won the contested races 36-20 with 4 left to call.

In summary, more Republican voters impacted the composition of the VA House compared to Democrats, by a large margin.

Back