• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Did you all think Alabama was turning blue?

No, I think Doug Jones won only because he was running against a probable pedophile and even then he only won by ~20000 votes.

Exactly. Seems like the key in Alabama is to build off the Doug Jones momentum to identify good candidates and run hard campaigns and build a grassroots operation that can be sustained even after tough but predictable losses.

Oh and be ready to pounce because I'm sure the GOP will run plenty of horrible candidates with major personal flaws down the road.

All that excitement over Doug Jones winning the Alabama Senate seat as a Democrat, but here we are just 7 months later and the Republican Gubernatorial primary race had ~300,000 more voters than the Democratic Gubernatorial primary in Alabama:

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/alabama/

Of note: Mallory Hagan, Miss America 2013, won her primary in Alabama's 3rd district but on garnered ~20000 votes. I fear that the enthusiasm is waning and the deep south will be returning to it's usual Democratic bloodbath.

Primary turnout is generally not a good predictor of turnout for the general, with the exception of California's jungle primaries. Plus the primary voter crowd tends to be whiter and older than the general.

I am concerned about enthusiasm waning, though. Dems should be taking nothing for granted. Everyone should be finding candidates they like and donate, knock doors, phone bank, etc. It really does make a difference.

Primary turnout is generally not a good predictor of turnout for the general, with the exception of California's jungle primaries. Plus the primary voter crowd tends to be whiter and older than the general.

I am concerned about enthusiasm waning, though. Dems should be taking nothing for granted. Everyone should be finding candidates they like and donate, knock doors, phone bank, etc. It really does make a difference.

On it. I will happily campaign for a 29 year old former Ms. America. Plus she has great policy positions, like she's a supporter of universal healthcare.

Also your first point is a little reassuring...I didn't even know there was a primary until a week before.

On it. I will happily campaign for a 29 year old former Ms. America. Plus she has great policy positions, like she's a supporter of universal healthcare.

Also your first point is a little reassuring...I didn't even know there was a primary until a week before.

The big question is what will your wife think about you sharing a car, the road and hotel rooms with a 29yo former Ms. America?

Sorry, I see that my comment read as completely rhetorical and I didnt intend that. I honestly havent kept up with Doug Jones in the past few months besidea hearing some snark about his voting record with Trump. Jones's Rural Healthcare Bill sounds good?

You probably know that I am a Bernie Bro, a Kucinich supporter and recovering Nader supporter so I am generally with you on progressivism and so I am really not that impressed with Jones or anything that he's done since the election. Voting to roll back Dodd Frank was a shitty vote and voting against Haspel was not exactly a brave stance. However, there was a candidate in the Primary last year was was quite progressive, an openly gay environmental lawyer who would have been a strong out spoken progressive voice, I am sure, but he also would have been trounced by the probable pedophile, because around here gayness is worse than pedophilia, so what do you do? I really want to see Jones get on the campaign trail for Ms. America and Robert Kennedy Jr. to help get some democrats in office along side him, then I'd feel like my support for him last fall was worth it.

I kicked in a (small) donation!

Turnout in Philly, which provides a big chunk of Dem PA votes, was 17% this year. Hopefully it was because the Dem candidates for senate and governor didn't have challengers.

The big question is what will your wife think about you sharing a car, the road and hotel rooms with a 29yo former Ms. America?

I honestly think my wife is better looking, so, no worries.

The mystery of the million-dollar California congressional candidate

Lee only registered to vote as a Democrat in Los Angeles County in November. He told state officials that he’d registered in Orange County as a voter, but election officials there said they had no record showing he had. Voting records prior to last week’s election suggest he hadn’t voted in California in the last 10 years. Lee’s campaign did not return repeated calls for comment.

His last-minute campaign spending also raised some eyebrows.

The biggest chunk of it — some $162,000 for “campaigning” — was paid to a Delaware company called “Alpha Elephant Data” with an address for a suburban mailbox store. No such company is registered in that state, but an “Elephant Data LLC” can be traced to an Ivy Vernon of Omaha, who registered the company in February.

Vernon, who goes by Yuyan Vernon, told The Times she is a part owner of Elephant Data and that the firm provided Lee’s campaign with voter and consumer data for targeting. The company’s website says it specializes in “conservative campaign solutions.”

I wonder if there are any SC Pubs who just finished voting for Sanford and saw this tweet and were like...

You probably know that I am a Bernie Bro, a Kucinich supporter and recovering Nader supporter so I am generally with you on progressivism and so I am really not that impressed with Jones or anything that he's done since the election. Voting to roll back Dodd Frank was a shitty vote and voting against Haspel was not exactly a brave stance. However, there was a candidate in the Primary last year was was quite progressive, an openly gay environmental lawyer who would have been a strong out spoken progressive voice, I am sure, but he also would have been trounced by the probable pedophile, because around here gayness is worse than pedophilia, so what do you do? I really want to see Jones get on the campaign trail for Ms. America and Robert Kennedy Jr. to help get some democrats in office along side him, then I'd feel like my support for him last fall was worth it.

mdmh:
your-logic-does-not-compute.jpg

Corey Stewart, the confederate monument-defender that almost won the 2017 VA Republican primary for governor, is in a cloooose race for the Republican nominee for VA Senate against a member of the state general assembly who thinks that abortions cause mass shootings.

It took me too long to type this out, now it is less close, Stewart has a ~900 vote lead.

Back