• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Another Trump fan boycotting with their mouth/keyboard, while not giving anything up in reality. But everyone else totally should.

If the GOP does better than expected in the November elections (retains control of both the House and Senate, and minimizes their losses in state elections) I fully expect bkf, jh, and some other longtime absent right-wing posters to return, either under their regular usernames or an alias, to gloat and taunt everyone, a la November 2016. It's what they do.

Last edited:
^

Obviously just another “fraud” claiming to be a long-standing conservative.

Yep, anyone (regardless of political leanings) with a brain is voting for Dems in any and all house and senate races in November. We desperately need a Congress to check Trump. Pubs won’t do it.

She's consistently been a reasonable Pub in the Steve Schmidt vein. I definitely fear a lot of them who say they hate the direction of the GOP won't vote Democrat.

Of course they won't. They never will. What kind of logical Democratic strategy depends on Republican votes? Tigers don't change their stripes. The heart of Trump's administration is nationalist, authoritarian tough on crime, tax cut regulation cut conservativism. The party hasn't fucking changed, now they just say the quiet racist parts out loud.

Last edited:
Of course they won't. They never will. What kind of logical Democratic strategy depends on Republican votes? Tigers don't change their stripes. The heart of Trump's administration is nationalist, authoritarian tough on crime, tax cut regulation cut conservativism. The party hasn't fucking changed, now they just say the quiet racist parts out loud.

Yep.

My hope is that these problems predated Trump. I also hope they question the conservative ecosystem that supports him and realize much of what they hate about Democrats is based on lies, exaggerations, and self-serving economic “theory.”

All the more reason why Progressive politicians need a positive cohesive message. There has never been a better time to recruit from establishment Dems, uninterested voters, Republicans looking for change, and even groups like Puerto Ricans new to mainland politics and right leaning immigrants.

Ideology is not as static as we think it is.

It breaks my brain that moderate Dems have an infinite amount of good faith for Republicans, despite getting railroaded over and over and over.

"Maybe this time, if we promise to cut the deficit, spend billions on a border wall, make resisting arrest a hate crime, and deregulate billion dollar banks, maybe NOW Republicans will vote for us, and THIS TIME they won't call us gay San Francisco liberal terrorists in all their campaign ads."

i have infinite faith that republicans will act frequently and with great enthusiasm directly against the interests of the people of the United States

TX-32: Sessions Moves from Lean Republican to Toss Up

Moreover, Democrats' nominee offers a stark contrast to Sessions. In late May, civil rights attorney Colin Allred won the Democratic runoff with 70 percent of the vote. Allred was a star linebacker at Dallas's Hillcrest High School and went on to play for Baylor University and four seasons on special teams for the Tennessee Titans. Allred, a 35 year old African-American, is 28 years younger than the 11-term incumbent.

The biggest challenge for Sessions may be rebuilding his own political brand after over a decade without a real race. Since Sessions defeated Democratic Rep. Martin Frost in a multi-million dollar 2004 affair, thousands of professional workers have moved from blue states to the northern Dallas suburbs and brought their political values with them. And suddenly, their only way to send a message to President Trump is on the congressional ballot.

It breaks my brain that moderate Dems have an infinite amount of good faith for Republicans, despite getting railroaded over and over and over.

"Maybe this time, if we promise to cut the deficit, spend billions on a border wall, make resisting arrest a hate crime, and deregulate billion dollar banks, maybe NOW Republicans will vote for us, and THIS TIME they won't call us gay San Francisco liberal terrorists in all their campaign ads."

What is this in response to?

She's consistently been a reasonable Pub in the Steve Schmidt vein. I definitely fear a lot of them who say they hate the direction of the GOP won't vote Democrat.

Dems can't even get dumbass so-called progressives who gave us Trump to vote dems, should not expect Republicans to do so.

I disagree with some of this. The GOP of GW Bush and before was not nationalist, it was run and funded by globalist corporations. There has been one major change in the the GOP under Trump and that is trade policy, I expect that a lot of wealthy Republicans will not like the direction that tariffs and trade-wars will take their portfolios. Right now it is all off set by the tax cut boondoggle for bringing money stashed in off shore accounts home, but once that runs out, rich people are going to start getting pissed. Having said that I don't expect them to vote for a Democrat, but they will try to find a way to fix the Trump problem. Our democracy and the world at large is run by some fucking super rich people, and they won't let that be up ended by some shitty trade policies and poor racist whites.

FWIW - I've had conversations with several friends from Wake who were straight ticket GOP voters up until 2016 (I fall into the same category) and we have all said to each other that we are done with the GOP and will vote for Democrats from here on out. It would be really really hard for us to ever vote for a republican again given the shit show we're witnessing today.

It's clearly not a scientific sample but it goes to show that there are republicans out there who are willing to abandon the party and vote for democrats.

I started about 8 years ago.

Rise of tea party, harmful refusal to work at all with Obama, increasing dependence on lies to deceive and grasp for power, etc.

Last edited:
Could go in the ACA thread, but I’ll put it here...

G.O.P. to Americans With Health Problems: Drop Dead

Behind paywall, so I’ll quote here. Better if you read on site for links.

Polls suggest that the public considers health care the most important issue in the midterm elections. This immediately raises the question: Do voters understand what’s at stake? In particular, do they realize that if Republicans hold Congress, they will strip away protections for the 52 million Americans — more than a quarter of nonelderly adults — who have pre-existing conditions that, before passage of the Affordable Care Act, could have led insurers to deny them coverage?

In fact, the Trump administration is already trying to take away those protections via the courts. It probably won’t succeed. But it might, in which case an estimated 17 million Americans would lose their health coverage.

And even if the lawsuit fails, the administration’s support for an incredibly flimsy legal challenge — one so indefensible that three career Justice Department lawyers withdrew from the case — is a clear signal of Republican priorities: G.O.P. to Americans with health problems: Drop dead.

By the way, some people seem surprised by the administration’s moves here, since Donald Trump has promised many times to protect people with pre-existing conditions. But remember: The campaign against the Affordable Care Act has been based on lies every step of the way.

First there were lies about what was actually in the act. Remember “death panels”?

Then there were lies about the law’s effects. For a while, the Koch brothers-financed group Americans for Prosperity was running ads featuring supposedly real stories of Americans facing terrible hardships because of the A.C.A. But none — none — of these stories stood up to fact-checking. So the ads became vaguer and vaguer, and eventually featured actors pretending to be A.C.A. victims rather than featuring real victims, who were apparently too hard to find.

But the most enduring lie from A.C.A. opponents — not just Trump, but all of them — is their claim that they want to protect Americans with pre-existing conditions. They don’t, and they never did.

You can see why they claim otherwise. A huge majority of voters, including 59 percent of Republicans, want to maintain rules that prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage based on someone’s medical history. So there is a powerful incentive to pretend that you’ll protect people with past health problems.

But the falseness of the pretense has always been obvious.

This falsity was obvious on sheer logical grounds even before Republicans began proposing supposed replacements for Obamacare. If you’re going to guarantee coverage regardless of medical history, you have to induce people to sign up for insurance while they’re still healthy, so that insurers have a manageable risk pool. That means some combination of subsidies to make insurance affordable and penalties for going uninsured — in other words, it requires a system that looks a lot like the Affordable Care Act.

So demands that the A.C.A. be scrapped always meant taking away coverage from the people who need it most; Obamacare opponents just hoped people wouldn’t notice that fact. And the truth is that they mostly got away with it until last year, when Republicans had to offer specific health care legislation.

At that point the game was up. It immediately became clear that every Republican alternative to Obamacare would, in fact, hang Americans with pre-existing conditions out to dry. And the public backlash against that revelation is basically the reason the G.O.P.’s repeal effort failed. But it only failed narrowly. And if Republicans still hold Congress next year, anyone who has a history of medical problems and doesn’t get health insurance from his or her employer will lose coverage.

In fact, even getting a job with insurance coverage might not be enough: If the Trump-supported lawsuit succeeds, employers could refuse to cover new employees’ pre-existing conditions.

What may seem puzzling about all this is the cruelty. O.K., Donald Trump is obviously a man utterly lacking in empathy. But don’t other Republicans feel a bit bad about the prospect of taking health care away from millions of Americans who have done nothing wrong besides having past medical problems?

Actually, no. Consider Rick Scott, the governor of Florida (and current Senate candidate), whose attorney general has joined the lawsuit to eliminate protection for pre-existing conditions. While refusing to say whether he supports the suit, Scott declared, “We’ve got to reward people for caring for themselves.” Right, because if you get cancer, or arthritis, or multiple sclerosis — all among the pre-existing conditions for which people used to be denied coverage — it must be your own fault.

By the way, a note to older Florida voters: You may think that none of this matters to you, because you’re covered by Medicare. If so, think again: If Republicans win in November, they’ll be coming after Medicare next, to offset the cost of their tax cut. Who says so? They do.

So, as I said, voters need to understand the stakes in these midterms. They will determine whether people with medical problems get the health care they need.

Back