• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Something that was not missed, bkf just posting an entire article you need to scroll through. How’s that ban going you senile piece of shit?

Not to mention that any website entitled "American Greatness" is guaranteed to be somewhere to the right of Fox News, and thus not a particularly reliable or objective source of information. After glancing at the article titles, they all look like something that could easily be posted on the Fox News or Breitbart opinion pages. At least we now know what type of reading material bkf peruses these days.

Lots of bold text and now red fonts...definitely BobKnightFan. We are a few posts away from all caps, huge red fonts. SAD !

Here are a couple of other headlines at americangreatness.com:

The Press Will Stop at Nothing to Get Scott Pruitt
By Julie Kelly| June 19th, 2018
When reporters work too hard to earn a Pulitzer Prize for orchestrating the political assassination of one of the president’s most

Trump’s Moves With N. Korea Are Nothing Like Obama’s With Iran

___

Re: Pruitt- I guess it's the media's fault that Pruitt has a $43,000 Get Smart-like Cone of Silence or that he lobbied to get his wife a Chik-Fil-A franchise or that he spends $3M on insane security teams, etc. , etc.

Re: Iran - the biggest difference is Obama took Iran's nuclear ability away and Trump kowtowed to Kim and gave him concession after concession and got nothing in return.

Democrats and Black America

https://amgreatness.com/2018/06/16/democrats-and-black-america/

Kanye West is not shy. As Hurricane Katrina and the flooding that followed disemboweled New Orleans in a frenzy of immutable destruction, West told the watching world that President George W. Bush had little motivation to help the city’s mainly black denizens. “George Bush doesn’t care about black people,” West said—on live television, no less. West can be forgiven. He was wrong. But the MAGA-behatted serial antagonist and “free thinker” could become right. He could come out and say the supposedly unsayable among black Americans. He could say: Democrats don’t care about black people.

Because, they don’t. Do they? If they did care about black Americans then they wouldn’t be Democrats. After all, what have black Americans got in return for their electoral devotion to a party which, privately, regards them as vote-fodder to be whipped up into hissing lava come election day, and discarded once they’ve squeezed the last “progressive” into office each cycle? Not a lot. Today, black Americans are almost three times more likely to be in poverty than whites. Black households earn just $57 for every $100 made by white families. For every $100 held in wealth by whites, black families hold a little over $5. Of course, black America’s historic devotion to the Democratic Party springs from the civil rights plank rightly adopted in the 1960s, which bestowed a deeply wronged people with some semblance of long-overdue dignity.

But that was a different Democratic Party than the identity-politics bewitched, lambently Marxist one that exists today. Today’s Democratic Party cares little for the working people it used to champion, preferring openly to deride them as irredeemable. Yet Democrats are coy in the management of their strongest voting bloc. They have to be. In the 14 presidential elections since 1964, Democratic nominees have devoured an average 88 percent of the black vote. A party reliant on the trafficking of misery can’t afford too many defections from what Kanye West called a “mental prison.”

Black votes matter. Their lives? Not so much.

Some of America’s most desperate cities are run by Democrats—Baltimore, Memphis, Oakland, St. Louis, Detroit—aloof of stratospheric murder rates, riven poverty, and hopeless school systems motoring a conveyor belt of resentment. Like the old trope follows: there ain’t no votes in a cure.

Black Americans who dare to mention such facts are quickly Uncle-Tommed by those engorged on such misery. Turning Point USA’s Candace Owens still takes the risk. Owens, a 28-year-old conservative activist, broke from what she calls the “thought plantation” just two years ago, doing more, it must be said, for the American Right than the “conservative movement,” which conserves little and moves less. Paired with Charlie Kirk, TPUSA’s founder, the Millennial twosome flew out to L.A. once Kanye West broke the Internet by tweeting: “I love the way Candace Owens thinks.” Predictably, the oldsters of Young America’s Foundation warned in a leaked memo that such bold sorties could reap “long-term damage” on “conservative students and the conservative movement.” After all, Kanye West probably hasn’t riffled through Burke’s Reflections on the Revolution in France. But he has just claimed his eighth consecutive No.1 album—one of only two artists to do so—while managing to tweet a Thomas Sowell aphorism in some spare downtime from being the biggest star on the planet.

And, according to a Reuters poll, President Trump’s approval rating among black men doubled in the week (April 22-29) that West declared he and the president were “dragon energy.” Overall approval jumped from just under 9 percent to 16.5 percent. The strength of this bounce can’t be laid solely upon the artist’s shoulders, but, something shook the sidewalk. Like other demographics, more black voters like Trump’s economy, than the man himself. A recent Harvard-Harris poll found one-third of black Americans said they were “better off” under the current economy, while 32 percent approved of the president’s economic stewardship.
Such news is enough for the commentariat to peck out a few op-eds decrying the president’s apparently “cynical” attempt to woo the black vote. Commuting Alice Marie Johnson’s two-decade nightmare for a drug offense—after meeting with the hugely popular Kim Kardashian—was all part of this nefarious plan, according to this view. President Trump must be the worst “fascist” ever.

Kardashian, who happens to be married to West, might not meet with the approval of the marmish conservative movement, but they are two of the most-talked-about people among 7 billion. If President Trump is ever to slice even 5 percent more of the black vote, he could do worse than charm “Kimye.”
As Candace Owens told “Fox and Friends” last month, Democrats can’t win if the black vote shifts by even five points. Yet Owens and Charlie Kirk, masters of new media, are busy racking up tens of millions of eyeballs with their affable ways. Both have had smiley meetings with the president. Meanwhile, old media tragically speculates over the Trump-Kim summit dinner menu.

Democrats have reason to jitter. With research showing a 20-point leftward shift since 2004, the now unrecognizable party of typically moderate Black America could be facing a Katrina-scale catastrophe of its own.

Yep, blacks should vote for Republicans. The GOP only stands for voter suppression, killing Pell Grants, ending Affirmative Action, supported ending the VRA and much more. GOP has proposed cutting almost all of the safety net.

This POTUS has white supremacists working in the WH had multiple in the West Wing during his term. This POTUS said "there were many fine people" screaming "white power". This POTUS said the Central Park Five should have been executed. When they were totally exonerated, he said they should be kept in jail forever anyway.

The former darling of the GOP said this: "On NBC’s “Meet the Press” recently, Powell added, “I’m not calling the party racist . . . there’s some in the party who practice a level of intolerance that is not good for the party and is not consistent with American values.”

Accepting, for purposes of this discussion, that Reagan and Donald are comparable Donald is going to need some events to turn the tide on his unpopularity. Interestingly enough, Reagan similarly had a low 40's approval rating in June of his second year (1982 for Reagan). From there, he moved to 58% popularity in the final Gallup poll before the 1984 election.

What prompted this double digit surge? There seem to be three different points which each contributed to varying degrees: 1) overall economic improvement following the initial recession that plagued the first two years of his term; 2) America's invasion in Grenada; and 3) the Beirut explosion (killing over 200 American soldiers). The latter two provided an almost immediate bump to Reagan's approval rating while the former seemingly contributed to the increasing approval.

Contrasting for a moment, the degree of political polarization during Reagan's first term was less than the polarization of 2016-2018. I don't have hard statistics on this so I'll speculate but it certainly appears that there is a more entrenched opposition to Donald's administration (with a higher percentage of individuals unwilling to change their views on Donald) than Reagan experienced.

Will Donald see the same economic uptick as Reagan following a recession? It's possible and this remains an open question as the projected economic growth by those outside the administration (including both bi-partisan and non-partisan projections) are roughly half of the 3% growth that the Donald administration has repeatedly touted over the next few years. Aside from the question of the economy, would Donald be able to capitalize on the same approval growth in the event that something similar to Grenada or Beirut pops up or would Donald throw away any good will towards the executive that the president normally experiences in the aftermath of military efforts by either spouting off incoherent nonsense or failing to appropriately handle the issue at hand? I think Donald's first two years suggest that the latter is more likely.

TLDR: there are some similarities to the first two years of the Reagan/Donald administrations, but Reagan was able to capitalize on a growing economy and an improving approval rating following discrete events. It remains to be seen if Donald can do the same while also avoiding existing pitfalls of his own creation (Russia, Pruitt, border security/immigration issues, etc.)

Reagan also got shot, which seemed to result in an uptick, although that particular event happened before this point in his presidency.

Dems flipped a county commissioner seat in Florida today. The Republican candidate is the wife of the incumbent, who stepped down to run for Congress.

What was truly amazing about the 2016 election was that Trump could win even though the Clinton Machine, the Bush Machine, the National Media, the FBI and Obama's Justice Department were doing everything in their power to make sure that he lost.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/ig-report-clinton-emails-fix-was-in/

Hillary & her supporters whine about Comey reopening the case after discovering the Weiner emails, but the fact is that there was ample evidence to indict her for criminal negligence when the original investigation was completed. The irony here, of course, is that if she had been indicted and the Democrats had nominated a different candidate there is a good chance that Donald Trump would never have become president.

Obama & the Democrats handed the presidency to Trump & the Republicans when they didn't get rid of her sorry ass when they had the chance.

ETA: Even the NYT now understands how fucked up the FBI & Obama's Justice Department was:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ns-are-wielding-it/ar-AAySjpn?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:
By the way, it's rather surprising that so many WF people on these boards have, evidently, never heard of the Swiss Chalet.

By the way, it's rather surprising that so many WF people on these boards have, evidently, never heard of the Swiss Chalet.
It's my fifth favorite chain of casual Canadian dining restaurants. When I can get a reservation at Olive Garden, it is always preferred. But their Chicken Pot Pie and French fries is worth the trip.

It's my fifth favorite chain of casual Canadian dining restaurants. When I can get a reservation at Olive Garden, it is always preferred. But their Chicken Pot Pie and French fries is worth the trip.

This one was a short walk from Kitchin Dorm....near the T.O.G. (Tavern on the Green)….which I guess most people here haven't heard of, either.

This one was a short walk from Kitchin Dorm....near the T.O.G. (Tavern on the Green)….which I guess most people here haven't heard of, either.
I've been there! It's my third favorite restored central park icon for American fare.

I've been there! It's my third favorite restored central park icon for American fare.

As I remember, the one at WF served mostly beer & pizza. The nearby TOG also had a little 9-hole Par 3 course. Couple of neat places near the campus for students....90% of whom had no car to go anywhere.

As I remember, the one at WF served mostly beer & pizza. The nearby TOG also had a little 9-hole Par 3 course. Couple of neat places near the campus for students....90% of whom had no car to go anywhere.
Unfortunately there are few places within walking distance of campus anymore. Cars have become a necessity for Wake Forest undergraduates

Back