• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Unfortunately there are few places within walking distance of campus anymore. Cars have become a necessity for Wake Forest undergraduates

Elitists.

If there was a SwissChalet on campus when I was a student, I never would have left campus either.

Are there any still in the US? I may have eaten at one when I was in Canada, but the last time I was there I didn't need a passport, so its hard to say.

Are there any still in the US? I may have eaten at one when I was in Canada, but the last time I was there I didn't need a passport, so its hard to say.
Unclear. It appears that there was one on campus in the early twentieth century, perhaps located near Kitchin dormitory.

What was truly amazing about the 2016 election was that Trump could win even though the Clinton Machine, the Bush Machine, the National Media, the FBI and Obama's Justice Department were doing everything in their power to make sure that he lost.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/ig-report-clinton-emails-fix-was-in/

Hillary & her supporters whine about Comey reopening the case after discovering the Weiner emails, but the fact is that there was ample evidence to indict her for criminal negligence when the original investigation was completed. The irony here, of course, is that if she had been indicted and the Democrats had nominated a different candidate there is a good chance that Donald Trump would never have become president.

Obama & the Democrats handed the presidency to Trump & the Republicans when they didn't get rid of her sorry ass when they had the chance.

ETA: Even the NYT now understands how fucked up the FBI & Obama's Justice Department was:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ns-are-wielding-it/ar-AAySjpn?ocid=spartandhp

Fify

Another easy way you can tell SwissChalet is clearly Bob is that he keeps blaming Hillary's defeat on the Democrats, rather than on the people who actually voted for Trump in the primaries and general election, and who continue to enthusiastically support everything he does. That is, people like himself. Trump voters like Bob have no blame whatsoever for this shitshow, such as separating kids from their parents (which he defends anyway). No, it's all the Democrats fault for not listening to his genius and wisdom and choosing another candidate more to his liking (who, judging from his posts, would basically be little more than a Republican wolf in Democratic clothing).

Another easy way you can tell SwissChalet is clearly Bob is that he keeps blaming Hillary's defeat on the Democrats, rather than on the people who actually voted for Trump in the primaries and general election, and who continue to enthusiastically support everything he does. That is, people like himself. Trump voters like Bob have no blame whatsoever for this shitshow, such as separating kids from their parents (which he defends anyway). No, it's all the Democrats fault for not listening to his genius and wisdom and choosing another candidate more to his liking (who, judging from his posts, would basically be little more than a Republican wolf in Democratic clothing).

BKF & SwissChaletDeac aren't the only people who have said that the Democrats screwed their chances by leaving Crooked Hillary as the candidate. Ask any Bernie supporter, for one example. As a matter of fact, I think I remember BKF saying early-on that the election was going to be much closer than everyone on the boards thought because millions of Americans despised Hillary Clinton. And, of course, he was ridiculed for saying that by the board geniuses who continued to smugly predict a landslide win for Hillary with an EV total approaching or exceeding 400.

It seems as though the Democrats keeping Hillary on the ticket was a fatal fuckup would be fairly common knowledge by now for anyone with a $200K WF degree.

I am glad that Bud Talley has demonstrated to everyone that the attention he desperately seeks from this board overrides his word honoring his bet.

Last edited:
BKF & SwissChaletDeac aren't the only people who have said that the Democrats screwed their chances by leaving Crooked Hillary as the candidate. Ask any Bernie supporter, for one example. As a matter of fact, I think I remember BKF saying early-on that the election was going to be much closer than everyone on the boards thought because millions of Americans despised Hillary Clinton. And, of course, he was ridiculed for saying that by the board geniuses who continued to smugly predict a landslide win for Hillary with an EV total approaching or exceeding 400.

It seems as though the Democrats keeping Hillary on the ticket was a fatal fuckup would be fairly common knowledge by now for anyone with a $200K WF degree.

how would you know bkf said it early on? after all, you only joined in May 2018 and he was banned long before then.

Lol at BKF talking about himself like he was some sort of Nostradamus. Just stop. Spare yourself the embarrassment.

Lol at BKF talking about himself like he was some sort of Nostradamus. Just stop. Spare yourself the embarrassment.

Don't blame you for wanting to avoid the substance of the post. All you self-proclaimed geniuses made fools of yourselves....and you are doing it all over again with your "Blue Wave" talk about this election.

The Democrats' problem...though they are desperately trying to change it with hordes of illegal immigrants...is that there are still a hell of a lot of Americans in America. And they are going to show up at the polls in November to vote.....again.

Democrats are buying votes as fast as they can, but Trump woke many Americans up when, unlike the Bushes, he wasn't afraid to call them out for what they are. Almost all Democratic policies have one common factor....a plan to take money away from some people and give it to other people who are more likely to support them for the handout. That's how they hope to keep people on the Democratic Plantation. Millennials (particularly wealthy ones like most of those who go to WF these days) don't have a problem with that because they have been on a free ride all of their lives as well.

Last edited:
Yeah what’s this new twist? Are we still trying to keep up the charade that you are a new poster and not the bet welching pussy known as bkf?

Dems flipped a county commissioner seat in Florida today. The Republican candidate is the wife of the incumbent, who stepped down to run for Congress.

Gonna quote myself here. I know it isn't as fun as messing with the dude that can't quit us, but this is a big deal. This district usually votes Dem at the top of the ballot and R down ballot. Marco Rubio lives here. Their Republican congresswoman won re-election in 2016 by 10 pts despite the district going for Clinton by 20 pts. That congresswoman is not running for re-election. The Republican who held this seat, a 20 year incumbent and a Trump supporter, stepped down to run for Congress. He pushed for a quick special election believing it would favor his wife's chances to win.

The Republican had money and name recognition. The Democrat had volunteers. (And she's a Moms Demand volunteer.)

Conventional wisdom had Barreiro the favorite, since she was expected to pick up most of Diaz de la Portilla's voters, a fellow Republican Cuban American. But Diaz de la Portilla didn't endorse in the race, and the Higgins ground game appeared to narrow the traditional advantage Republicans enjoy in mail-in balloting, which accounted for six out of every 10 votes cast in the District 5 runoff. While Republicans led Democrats by three points in mail-in ballots and early voting last week, the margin shrank to just a single point by Sunday.

"This is a transformational election," said Fernand Amandi, a Democratic pollster who supported Higgins. "This is an election where you had an unknown defeat two of the titular Cuban dynasties in local politics. and it wasn't even close."

FWIW and a small VA update, I was speaking with a friend who is an active Dem, and he agreed with me that VA-5 is too tall a task for Cockbern. But in addition to VA-10 and 2 being in play, he also said VA-7 could well have an upset where Spanberger is running against Dave Brat - the tea bagger who took down Cantor a few years ago. My reaction was no way. The district has most of the West End suburbs of Richmond (Chesterfield, Henrico and Hanover counties) up to Culpeper and just west of Fredericksburg. The Richmond and Fredericksburg exurbs are similar to the 16 exurb districts that turned blue last November - very white, well educated and mostly conservative. Brat will heavily win Culpeper, Orange and Louisa (mostly redneck rural counties). But the real population centers are the Richmond and Fredericksburg exurbs, so upon further reflection, my friend, who wasn't drinking the VA-5 koolaid, may just have a point. Add to that Spanberger is former CIA, so she's not exactly a Bernie Sanders type of Dem. And she's making health care her biggest issue, the most important issue in the VA exit polls last November. So just a bit more food for thought.

Lolz. Did I touch a nerve, bob? As always, you miss the point. Trump voters like you don't get to absolve yourselves of the blame for Trump. You voted for him, and still eagerly support everything he does. I didn't vote for him, and find him - as do tens of millions of others - to be a loathsome toad of a man. Of course, bob, you're nothing but a troll and always have been, so I take nothing you say seriously, as it's obvious that you don't take anything you say seriously, given how often you do a 180 on your political views. Furthermore, it's easy to ridicule the views of a man who doesn't even have the honesty and guts to admit who he really is on this board, or that he's welching on a bet. What a stand up guy you are, bob!

It really is a silly thing to criticize people for using the available data at the time to make predictions about the election outcome, that proved to be incorrect. The data were flawed and the models interpreting those data were flawed and therefore the predictions were erroneous, also, events occurred between July and November that swung the polls (e.g., the Weiner letter). Predictions made on July based on data up to and at that point are subject to more uncertainty than predictions made in October. There are stochasticities in any system that are difficult to predict but the best predictive models incorporate the most and the relevant stochasticities and the results are expressed in terms of probabilities of occurrence not specific outcomes. The primary issue with many pre-election prediction models was that they failed to account for the high levels of dislike for each of the main candidates. We'd never had an election in the era of modern statistics, where both candidates had such high unfavorable or unlikeable ratings and most models did not even have those data as part of the prediction. That means they failed to account for an heretofore unimportant model parameter, which introduced significant unmodeled uncertainty into the predictions. The data indicated that Hillary was ahead in the polls right up to the very end but her unlike-ability, made the election outcome much more volatile to late season stochasticities, like the Weiner letter.

FWIW and a small VA update, I was speaking with a friend who is an active Dem, and he agreed with me that VA-5 is too tall a task for Cockbern. But in addition to VA-10 and 2 being in play, he also said VA-7 could well have an upset where Spanberger is running against Dave Brat - the tea bagger who took down Cantor a few years ago. My reaction was no way. The district has most of the West End suburbs of Richmond (Chesterfield, Henrico and Hanover counties) up to Culpeper and just west of Fredericksburg. The Richmond and Fredericksburg exurbs are similar to the 16 exurb districts that turned blue last November - very white, well educated and mostly conservative. Brat will heavily win Culpeper, Orange and Louisa (mostly redneck rural counties). But the real population centers are the Richmond and Fredericksburg exurbs, so upon further reflection, my friend, who wasn't drinking the VA-5 koolaid, may just have a point. Add to that Spanberger is former CIA, so she's not exactly a Bernie Sanders type of Dem. And she's making health care her biggest issue, the most important issue in the VA exit polls last November. So just a bit more food for thought.

I almost posted about VA-7, but stopped myself because beating the guy who unseated Cantor seemed like too full-circle and too much to wish for. I know I've said turnout in primaries doesn't predict turnout in the general, but Spanberger received more votes in the primary than any other candidate in Virginia that was running in a contested race. The only two that were anywhere close were Republican incumbents.

Definitely one worth watching.

Back