• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I knew a guy who quit his job as a teacher right before the school year started several years ago. When I found out and asked him about it he gave one of those "I'm real excited to look for some new opportunities" responses like Chafetz apparently did.

We lost touch and I googled him recently to see what he was up to. I found a old newspaper article about a former student who claims she had a sexual relationship with him. The article even mentioned the specific reason he told all of us about why he quit.

Chafetz enjoyed being a high profile rep even as recently as a few weeks ago. Something's up.

Yeah, skewering HRC for a few years with a Republican controlled Congress sounds a lot more fun than defending not investigating this shit show. Plus, getting a pardon before the impeachment trial starts sounds like a solid plan.

Last edited:
http://www.npr.org/2017/04/17/52435...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170417

Office of Government Ethics Director Walter Shaub Jr. is calling on the chairman of House Oversight Committee to become more engaged in overseeing ethics questions in the Trump administration.

Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican, has "authority to investigate these things and compel responses, so hopefully we'll see some action from him," Shaub said.

"OGE, however, has no investigative authority, so we're limited as to what we can do if these waivers are not being released publicly," he said.

Chaffetz' office said he had no comment.
------

This was on Monday.

Is Jason Chaffetz running for office in 2028?

2028 could be in play, Kurt Bardella of Endeavor Strategies said. The domains Jason2028.com and JasonChaffetz2028.com were registered on April 6 by Friends of Jason Chaffetz, Chaffetz's campaign committee.

Looks like he already has jasonchaffetz2020, 2022, 2024. I'm guessing this is not the last we'll hear from Jason Chaffetz.

Can't wait to watch Chaffetz's fall from grace. Never seen someone turn his back on protecting Americans and the constitution in order to play partisan politics like Chaffetz has.

Chaffetz didn't turn his back on anything. He was always playing partisan politics.

Is anyone in America other than rich white dudes excited about this? Like is Trump's poor white base in favor of this? I haven't seen any reporting and am genuinely curious

I haven't seen anyone say they support they bill based on substantive reasons. I don't know if that's because of a lack of good reporting or if nobody really knows what's in it.

Like does anyone read that a two month lapse in insurance will result in a mandatory 30% increase say "that's why I like this!" or does anyone see the provision about pre-existing conditions no longer necessarily requiring coverage and think "this is what we needed to be doing!"

If you say you support this bill, I'd like to hear a substantive reason on the bill's own merits other than "it's not that commie Obummercare crap!"

Even if the ACA hasn't been a perfect piece of legislation, those in favor of it passing thought decreasing the number of insured, even if it drove costs up, was worth it and enjoyed the increased protections for those with pre-existing conditions.

What is something that people like about this bill that causes them to support it on its own?

this in from PA rube: "well, it's not good about the pre-existing stuff but we have to cut costs somehow"

Back