• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Donald-Trump-Bill-O-Reilly-Wave-Yankee-Stadium.gif

I haven't seen anyone say they support they bill based on substantive reasons. I don't know if that's because of a lack of good reporting or if nobody really knows what's in it.

Like does anyone read that a two month lapse in insurance will result in a mandatory 30% increase say "that's why I like this!" or does anyone see the provision about pre-existing conditions no longer necessarily requiring coverage and think "this is what we needed to be doing!"

If you say you support this bill, I'd like to hear a substantive reason on the bill's own merits other than "it's not that commie Obummercare crap!"

Even if the ACA hasn't been a perfect piece of legislation, those in favor of it passing thought decreasing the number of insured, even if it drove costs up, was worth it and enjoyed the increased protections for those with pre-existing conditions.

What is something that people like about this bill that causes them to support it on its own?

Well, premiums for most people will go down likely. once you're out of your twenties this will probably be important to you.

Frelinghuysen Targets Activist in Letter to Her Employer

The most powerful congressman in New Jersey, Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, wrote a fundraising letter in March to a board member of a local bank, warning him that a member of an activist group opposing the Republican worked at his bank.

The employee was questioned and criticized for her involvement in NJ 11th for Change, a group that formed after the election of Donald Trump and has been pressuring Frelinghuysen to meet with constituents in his district and oppose the Trump agenda.

That is messed up.

Well, premiums for most people will go down likely. once you're out of your twenties this will probably be important to you.

Not if you have even had allergies or any other "existing condition" or are married to a woman of childbearing age or have kids.

The cutting of $880B from Medi-Caid means more people without insurance whose costs will be borne by those who have it.

The new bill is simply a way to cover up a massive tax cut for the rich.

Yeah I doubt this is the case. If you are healthy and under 50 then sure. That's not most people though.

I'd say most people are healthy and under 50. We have medicare for the olds, and medicare is quite good insurance.

The Democrats had their primary in Philadelphia yesterday. Low turnout, as you'd expect for an off year primary, but also a big boost in turnout compared to the last time there was a competitive DA race. And, according to the report I heard on NPR on the way home, there was a big increase in turnout in areas where there are a lot of young people. As a result the super progressive DA candidate coasted to victory in what had been expected to be a tight race. November 2018 is still so far away, but that's a good early sign.

Chaffetz is gone. Weird timing.

I didn't see a news story at the time when I posted, so I put out the tweet. Besides, I got you to cover for me.

Utah will hold a special election. Gotta wonder if Evan McMullin will run on an anti-Trump platform. He got 21% of the Presidential vote statewide.

Utah will hold a special election. Gotta wonder if Evan McMullin will run on an anti-Trump platform. He got 21% of the Presidential vote statewide.

He should hold out and run for POTUS in 2020.

I'd say most people are healthy and under 50. We have medicare for the olds, and medicare is quite good insurance.

I would love to see some stats to back this up. Can you begin by defining "healthy"?

I had cancer when I was a baby but am healthy now, do I qualify as healthy? I think it would depend on the definition, and "pre-existing conditions" continues to rear its ugly head as far as how I am viewed as "high risk" because I had cancer before.

"Healthy" very much differs between how we would commonly use it vs. healthcare providers/insurance companies would use it.

If he wants to run for President, all the more reason to get into the House now and throw some haymakers before declaring after the 2018 election.

Doofus, you should have made better decisions as a baby.

I would love to see some stats to back this up. Can you begin by defining "healthy"?

I had cancer when I was a baby but am healthy now, do I qualify as healthy? I think it would depend on the definition, and "pre-existing conditions" continues to rear its ugly head as far as how I am viewed as "high risk" because I had cancer before.

"Healthy" very much differs between how we would commonly use it vs. healthcare providers/insurance companies would use it.

Well I know roughly 5-8% of people hit their out of pocket maximum in any given year. The remaining 92% average about $500 in medical expenses a year.

Back