• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Another day.
Another loss.
Still somehow not their fault.

If the Democrats were really serious about winning back control of the House, the first thing they would do is shit-can Nancy Pelosi as the face of the Democratic Party. That they evidently cannot see how toxic she is to their cause when you leave Marin County is a big part of their problem.

I guess we don't get to become San Francisco, I wonder if they are crying there?

Most Dems here do blame Dems for lack of success and would love to get rid of Pelosi.

Dems need a charismatic (enough) leader from the south who can talk believably about jobs, personal responsibility, and government necessity and efficiency while also supporting most of the rest of the progressive platform.

Dems need a charismatic (enough) leader from the south who can talk believably about jobs, personal responsibility, and government necessity and efficiency while also supporting most of the rest of the progressive platform.

636122452273873423748564045_unnamed.jpg

If the Democrats were really serious about winning back control of the House, the first thing they would do is shit-can Nancy Pelosi as the face of the Democratic Party. That they evidently cannot see how toxic she is to their cause when you leave Marin County is a big part of their problem.

Hey look- bkf said something lucid. HOORAY!

Yeah but they hate Bill Clinton.

Yeah, i think both parties could use a "clean sweep" and start over. The parties have to start working together, it's like a damn childish feud that has energized and infuriated the masses. These people have to start remembering that being in office means that you work for and represent your constituents and should use critical thinking on all matters, rather than the "fall in line" attitude currently seen on both parties.

pipe dream, probably, but the idiotic name calling and conspiracy rhetoric is destroying America. the political parties should not be viewed like sport teams, if you win the world is good, the policies they push through matter to some people. maybe most of us on this board will not be affected much, but some will and that should be our basis of discussion.

for me health care is important because i believe in helping people in need and every American should have access to medical care. pushing a bill that 17% of America wants and doing it secretly is BS and the same damn thing that Reps claimed the Dems did...childish behavior to do this same behavior "because the Dems did it", although Obamacare was not nearly as secret as Trumpcare. nobody will see this bill that affects just about everyone in some way but people will be on either side, just because.

i hope it changes...but doubt it.

Good post, although I disagree with part of the first paragraph. I think Dems are losing specifically because they're engaging in critical thinking on all matters instead of falling in line. I read a few liberal "think pieces" about why progressives shouldn't support Ossoff because he's not progressive enough.

Good post, although I disagree with part of the first paragraph. I think Dems are losing specifically because they're engaging in critical thinking on all matters instead of falling in line. I read a few liberal "think pieces" about why progressives shouldn't support Ossoff because he's not progressive enough.

yeah but when running in a district that the Rs won by 20+ points just a few months ago, you can't go straight progressive and expect to win the district.

yeah but when running in a district that the Rs won by 20+ points just a few months ago, you can't go straight progressive and expect to win the district.

Sure. But you need those stubborn progressives to get over the top. My point is that Dems don't fall in line like warak was saying.

didn't Ossoff roughly get the same percentage of votes as the first vote? one could deduce that everyone just toed the partisan line? it would be interesting to see if any Rep went Dem or vice versa. i bet the percentage is very low.

I agree. You saw this last fall with Rs and Trump. Plenty of people saying how "troubled" they were over things like the Access Hollywood tape, that they could never vote for man like Trump since he's not a real R, etc. But when they got in the voting booth, they still pulled that Trump lever.

Sure. But you need those stubborn progressives to get over the top. My point is that Dems don't fall in line like warak was saying.

when was the last vote that the Dems didn't stick together (a high % of at least)? typically the Dems love to eat their own, but that seems to have changed to fight the Reps.

didn't Ossoff roughly get the same percentage of votes as the first vote? one could deduce that everyone just toed the partisan line? it would be interesting to see if any Rep went Dem or vice versa. i bet the percentage is very low.

Almost the exact same %, but turnout was quite a bit higher.

when was the last vote that the Dems didn't stick together (a high % of at least)? typically the Dems love to eat their own, but that seems to have changed to fight the Reps.

2016. Plenty of Dems stayed home.

It's the travails of a heterogeneous party vs. a homogeneous party.

Back