• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Keep it up Republicans.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

2z4a8fl.jpg

2018 Midterms: Chaffetz is a fool

Safe spaces.

Heck Utah is a conservative safe space. They want a safe space within their safe space.

GOP loses top Senate contenders

In Pennsylvania, Meehan was seen as a top contender, but his spokesman noted the prominent role on the House Ways and Means Committee that he would have to give up to run.

Meehan had a nearly $2 million war-chest to mount a credible run and, while his district is considered only GOP-leaning, he’s won reelection with at least 60 percent of the vote since he came to Congress in 2010.

Meehan's district:

lossless-page1-400px-Pennsylvania_US_Congressional_District_7_(since_2013).tif.png

I'm sure the GOP is targeting PA for a Senate seat in 2018, I'm curious to see who they'll run.

I don't know a ton about Cotton but I like what I've seen from him so far. Nice to see some fresh faces that have been around the block and who will actually show some balls. Would put Seth Moulton into this category as well.

After living and supporting the Tea Party professionally during my days in Washington, watching the very same people deny that the same thing isn't happening on the left is high comedy. If anything, I see less astroturfing than I did in 2009/2010.

Last edited:
I don't know a ton about Cotton but I like what I've seen from him so far. Nice to see some fresh faces that have been around the block and who will actually show some balls. Would put Seth Moulton into this category as well.

He also argued that a dollar spent on a wall with Mexico was more important than a dollar spent on anything not related to security. That part was less impressive. Especially when a 7 year old asked him about defunding PBS to build the wall and he just talked about the importance of the wall.

He also argued that a dollar spent on a wall with Mexico was more important than a dollar spent on anything not related to security. That part was less impressive. Especially when a 7 year old asked him about defunding PBS to build the wall and he just talked about the importance of the wall.

Yikes...yeah need to study up on him. I'm all for border security but the ROI on that wall will be a net negative. Especially once you factor in the costs of pissing off the entire country of Mexico.

NED, what types of astroturfing did you see in the Tea Party?

NED, what types of astroturfing did you see in the Tea Party?

Without going into too much detail...it was probably the most well coordinated and funded opposition fight in modern political history. Like just about everything, a lot of it starts at the top with lobbyists working on behalf of corporate interests, trade associations and other groups. Those guys will do their best to directly influence the legislation through relationships and presentations (not always the worst thing btw). These lobbyists work with trade associations who then work with PR and Public Affairs firms to put out a marketing campaign to oppose the issue. That typically consists mostly of tv and direct mail with fairly simple reasons for why voters should oppose the legislation (stuff you typically see on MSNBC or Fox News during elections...usually shitty commercials with terrible voiceovers). Then these groups will have an entire grassroots strategy to drum up ground support/opposition for the legislation or issue. More direct mail, phone calls to voters asking them to contact their legislator, info directing voters to attend rep XYZ townhall, opportunities to fundraise for various Tea Party causes, etc.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of this is legit political support and necessary to keep folks engaged/informed but there was definitely a coordinated effort to oppose the legislation which was like pouring gas on an already raging fire.

I'm not nearly as close to what's happening at the grassroots level today but given there is no real leadership in the democratic Democratic Party, no real group organizing (Indivisible finally hired its first employee and started taking donations like a week ago) shows that this whole thing is more organic than a coordinated campaign to oppose trump.

Yes you are going to have your one offs here and there who will send protesters to a townhall in someone else's district but a lot of what I've seen so far is very organic. Hell, 1/21 produced the largest protest in American history that reached nearly every city and state across the country. Anyone sitting back and calling this opposition bullshit because of George Soros is sticking his/her head in the sand.

Back