• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I haven't seen the video yet. Is it incriminating or just dumb college stuff?

2018 Midterms: Chaffetz is a fool

Neither, really. Just trying to make him look immature.

Props to the House Republicans if poor people can buy quality health care for the price of a new iPhone.

he's not wrong

LOL. How so? How many poor people have the latest iPhone? How many of them don't have a plan that automatically upgrades the phone?

Props to the House Republicans if poor people can buy quality health care for the price of a new iPhone.

Going to be a lot more like this now that millennials have started running for office. The content of our Facebook alone is probably enough to disqualify many of us.

Really? Trump is President despite a video clip of him bragging about sexually assaulting women, as a 60 years old man. Do youthful indiscretions really matter anymore?

LOL. How so? How many poor people have the latest iPhone? How many of them don't have a plan that automatically upgrades the phone?

he's right in that people make bad decisions, iphones or otherwise

Filling out my taxes this weekend the cost of insurance between my employer and contributions was almost 12,000 dollars. Looks like I would fall on the lower end because of age for tax credits so I'd owe 9,000 out of pocket or if I was old I'd get a 4,000 tax credit but the ability to have my insurance be 5 times current costs. It's a solid fuck you for all ages and incomes but mostly poor people.

he's right in that people make bad decisions, iphones or otherwise

People make bad decisions, but it's not like not buying an iPhone will allow someone to afford health care under their plan. Plenty of poor and working class people make good decisions and can't afford health care. Often being poor or working class is about figuring out which good decision to make because they can't afford to make all of them.

we all realize he's not literally saying "buy health insurance or buy an iphone", right? he's saying americans need to start prioritizing health care expenses over other discretionary expenses

we all realize he's not literally saying "buy health insurance or buy an iphone", right? he's saying americans need to start prioritizing health care expenses over other discretionary expenses

Yes. Do you realize I was saying that it's false to claim poor people simply prioritize discretionary expenses over health care?

well, he says Americans, first of all, and yeah, i would say lots of people prioritize many things over abstract 'needs' like healthcare. it's not a stretch at all. it's shitty to just suddenly expect americans to better educate themselves or rewire their brains.

It's the normal dog whistle suggestion that poor people are spending money on a new flat screen TV instead of health insurance, when the real choice is between groceries / rent / car payments / bills and health insurance. (The fact that it always seems to be something that costs way less than the thing the politician is suggesting they spend money on just makes it comical / insulting.)

Last edited:
2018 Midterms: Chaffetz is a fool

No. He's saying that the Republican plan will leave many Americans unable to pay those discretionary expenses, because health care will become even more expensive for them.

well, he says Americans, first of all, and yeah, i would say lots of people prioritize many things over abstract 'needs' like healthcare. it's not a stretch at all. it's shitty to just suddenly expect americans to better educate themselves or rewire their brains.

He says, providing no evidence of his #feelings.

I feel like you are pretending if anyone thinks a poor person has a budget. It's more like struggle to survive.

Back