• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

politics is so polarizing and partisan...truly disgusting. must say, GOP actions under this charlatan and abortion of a president will lead me to never vote republican again.

makes me think..

what ever happened to [redacted and edited to "hey, we are OK too"]? all about the $ they can make in office.

Last edited:
politics is so polarizing and partisan...truly disgusting. must say, GOP actions under this charlatan and abortion of a president will lead me to never vote republican again.

makes me think..

what ever happened to America first? all about the $ they can make in office.

Trump is the 1st politician to use this particular phrase in a long time - like 75 years or so. Wonder why other politicians haven't used it more often during that time span.

America First was also an amalgam of different right wing, nativist and isolationist groups, including American Nazis, in the few years leading up to WW2 opposing our entry into WW2. Charles Lindbergh was probably its most famous adherent, and yeah, he was quite the racist and Hitler sympathizer. The group mostly dissipated and faded into the wood works after a certain December day that will live in infamy.

America First was also an amalgam of different right wing, nativist and isolationist groups, including American Nazis, in the few years leading up to WW2 opposing our entry into WW2. Charles Lindbergh was probably its most famous adherent, and yeah, he was quite the racist and Hitler sympathizer. The group mostly dissipated and faded into the wood works after a certain December day that will live in infamy.

yes, that is the second link...both sides, now it makes sense.

Blankenship to wage third-party bid after losing primary

A guide book for 2018 candidates posted on the West Virginia secretary of state’s website states: “Candidates affiliated with a recognized political party who run for election in a primary election and who lose the nomination cannot change her or his voter registration to a minor party organization/unaffiliated candidate to take advantage of the later filing deadlines and have their name on the subsequent general election ballot.”

Blankenship, who spent millions out of his own pockets to fund his Senate campaign, hinted that he was ready for a legal fight.

“Although the establishment will likely begin their efforts against us by mounting a legal challenge to my candidacy, we are confident that — if challenged — our legal position will prevail, absent a politically motivated decision by the courts,” he said.

The coal baron also said that the establishment was “determined to keep me — the most anti-establishment candidate in the nation — out of the United States Senate,” and that “the press and the establishment have colluded and lied to convince the public that I am a moron, a bigot, and a felon.”

Primaries tomorrow in Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, and Texas runoff.

Lexington mayor Jim Gray has come out with a last-minute attack ad against former fighter pilot Amy McGrath in KY-6:

Veterans Slam 'Shameful' Ad Attacking Candidate for Living Out of State During Military Service

This is also in a district where the Republican incumbent won with 60% of the vote the last two elections, and where Trump won by 15 pts.

The governor race in Georgia should be interesting. Stacey Abrams has gotten most of the national endorsements, but Stacey Evans has the support of a lot of local politicians and has been running heavily on reinstating a popular college scholarship program.

Stacey Vs. Stacey

House Ratings Changes: GOP Fortunes Improve in Four Districts

Two CA districts were moved to "toss-up" because there are too many Dems running and CA has jungle primaries, which could allow two Republicans to win if the Dems fracture the vote. Each district has two self-funding candidates, in one race they've each already spent $1MM, in the other over $2MM.

Stacey Abrams has almost 75% of the vote in the Dem Gov primary with 21% of precincts reporting. She leads in all but a handful of counties.

Stacey Abrams has almost 75% of the vote in the Dem Gov primary with 21% of precincts reporting. She leads in all but a handful of counties.
Stacey Evans must have really pissed some people off, Abrams was endorsed by everyone it seems.

Stacey Evans must have really pissed some people off, Abrams was endorsed by everyone it seems.

This was how I explained the race from my point of view to a friend who hadn't really read up much on either of the Staceys:

Evans (to me) is a single issue candidate - she's about the Hope scholarship and not much else. She also thinks that the path to victory is flipping rural (and other) whites who have been voting Republican. Abrams has strong policy positions on a lot of different issues and thinks the path to victory is turnout (and registration) of the Democratic base (particularly African Americans). From a policy perspective, I think they would govern very similarly. I think the Alabama senate race showed the power of strong African American turnout and I think we've tried (and failed) at flipping Republicans. I think it is an uphill battle for either of them in the general, but I'd rather try and get more Democrats to vote than try to convince Republicans that they aren't Republicans.

I thought (and hoped) Abrams would win tonight, but I was expecting a relatively close race. Abrams certainly had the high profile endorsements, but just from signage and knowing people who donated to her campaign, I thought Evans had relatively significant support, at least in Atlanta. That it was over before the big metro-Atlanta counties reported was amazing.

Thanks. 75-25 is what an incumbent puts up against an unknown challenger. For one state rep to win that big over another state rep is impressive.

Edited.

Sorry, I often misunderstand the purpose of this thread since it often sidetracks.

[h=3]Teacher narrowly upsets Kentucky House GOP leader. A sign of things to come?[/h]
http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/election/article211665879.html

As upset teachers across Kentucky Tuesday tried to flex their political muscle, Rockcastle County High School math teacher R. Travis Brenda narrowly defeated House Majority Floor Leader Jonathan Shell of Garrard County in one of the most-watched races for the state House, according to unofficial results.

Brenda tried in the Republican primary election for the 71st House District seat to capitalize on teacher anger against legislators who backed a controversial pension bill in this year's law-making session. It was Brenda's first bid for public office.
Shell, a farmer who has occupied the seat since 2012 and had the backing of U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell as a potential rising star in the GOP, played a prominent role in handling the pension bill in the legislature.
The measure sparked a backlash of frustration by thousands of teachers who held protests at the Capitol.

Back