• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Lee Bright, the currently leader for SC district 4, is a piece of work.

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article123270564.html

Good day for confederate fetishists.

Lee Bright is a huge POS. Dude cannot keep a business open (3 bankruptcies) but somehow can get elected although the last time out for state senator he got pummeled as everyone is tired of his bullshit 1950's racist attitude.

I never in a million years thought he might replace Trey.

They aren't. Trump already tweeted his support for Stewart. He'll shame the GOP apparatus into putting resources behind him. There's no chance the GOP fails to amount a vigorous challenge against Hillary's VP nominee. The GOP embraced deplorables two years ago. They can't act like they're above deplorable politics now.

Sabato leans left personally but he plays it very straight with his reporting. As I said earlier, all 3 GOP senate hopefuls were nutjobs to some extent, but given 8/12/17, Stewart's association with white supremacists gives him the worst look of the 3 right about now. His being the 1st name on the ticket could suppress the Pub vote a bit in the suburbs and exurbs, which is why it might affect VA-2 and VA-10 a lot more than it would affect VA-5.

Last edited:
They aren't. Trump already tweeted his support for Stewart. He'll shame the GOP apparatus into putting resources behind him. There's no chance the GOP fails to amount a vigorous challenge against Hillary's VP nominee. The GOP embraced deplorables two years ago. They can't act like they're above deplorable politics now.

Disagree. Stewart is a lost cause against Kaine and someone national Pubs don't want to be associated with. Establishment Pubs and independents in VA will break big for Kaine, so it'll likely be a 15-20 point cruise. National Pubs aren't going to divert precious $$ to VA and take it away from FL, IN, ND, WV, MO, AZ and NV. Trump will complain, but the VA senate race was never on the Pub radar once Hillary lost, and especially after the Pub slate was limited to the names of Stewart, Freitas and EW Jackson (with no names like Bolling or Gillispie).

Sabato leans left personally but he plays it very straight with his reporting. As I said earlier, all 3 GOP senate hopefuls were nutjobs to some extent, but given 8/12/17, Stewart's association with white supremacists gives him the worst look of the 3 right about now. His being the 1st name on the ticket could suppress the Pub vote a bit in the suburbs and exurbs, which is why it might affect VA-2 and VA-10 a lot more than it would affect VA-5.

Yeah, I'm going to be sure to play close attention to what this guy says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmAvsNip4zU

He and everyone else got that wrong. But when you bolded playing it straight, I thought you were going in a different direction.

Were you thinking about this?

"In June 2009, it was revealed that Sabato's Center for Politics had been the recipient of over seven million dollars in earmark money from Congressman Virgil Goode, whom Sabato predicted would win re-election in 2008, despite declining poll numbers; Goode ultimately lost the race by fewer than 800 votes out of about 316,000 votes cast.[19] Political blogger Greg Sargent suggested that Sabato should have revealed his Center's financial connection to Goode or recused himself from making predictions about the race."

I wouldn't call that "playing it straight with his reporting". My point, though, was that his predictions for the 2106 election were prejudiced by his obvious visceral dislike for Donald Trump.....just like nearly all of the MSM. They didn't just predict a Hillary landslide, they rejoiced in predicting a Hillary landslide. The MSM acted as advocates for Hillary rather than impartial observers reporting the news. And they are doing the very same thing today. All the talk of a coming "Blue Wave" is desperate hope as much as it is a prediction. You already see people like Bill Maher openly wishing for the economy to collapse into a recession for no reason other than to bring down Trump. How despicable is that? Is he also wishing for peace talks in North Korea to fail and war to break out? And while they would not admit it, there is no doubt in my mind that many on this board feel the same way as Bill Maher.

Unemployment is at an 18-year low. The Consumer Confidence Index is at a 16-year high. The stock market is at an all-time high. Taxes & regulations have been cut. The economy is expanding and businesses are hiring. Wages are increasing. And Liberals are despondent. Why do Liberals hate America so much that they would wish for recession & war over prosperity & peace....simply to regain political power?

Why were conservatives despondent when the economy was flourishing under Obama?

Why were conservatives despondent when the economy was flourishing under Obama?

Which conservative went on television and said that he wished the economy would collapse and go into recession? Give me something like this, not just your general opinion....which is really worthless and not relevant to this discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgA43xmuw54

Last edited:
Is it me or is does Bob Corker sound like Gomer Pyle when he makes a speech on the floor of the Senate.

You evidently have a problem with reading comprehension. Stating that you think something bad will happen as a result of what you think are bad policies is completely different from saying that you HOPE something bad happens....and then not even because of any policy but because of personal animus toward a person.

I watched that entire video and not once did Trump say that he HOPED something bad would happen....only that he thought the Democrats' policy of continuing to give stuff away was killing incentive to work and would eventually collapse upon itself. (Which was an accurate statement, by the way.) Maher, on the other hand, is straight-out cheering for something...anything...terrible to happen, for the sole purpose of bringing Trump down.

I'm assuming that you are a WF grad. In the future, try to think through your response a little more thoroughly to avoid coming up with such a weak reply.

Last edited:
lol, he didn't say he "thought," he said it would solve everything. It is the exact same argument as Mayer. (Who sucks, btw.)

Were you thinking about this?

"In June 2009, it was revealed that Sabato's Center for Politics had been the recipient of over seven million dollars in earmark money from Congressman Virgil Goode, whom Sabato predicted would win re-election in 2008, despite declining poll numbers; Goode ultimately lost the race by fewer than 800 votes out of about 316,000 votes cast.[19] Political blogger Greg Sargent suggested that Sabato should have revealed his Center's financial connection to Goode or recused himself from making predictions about the race."

I wouldn't call that "playing it straight with his reporting". My point, though, was that his predictions for the 2106 election were prejudiced by his obvious visceral dislike for Donald Trump.....just like nearly all of the MSM. They didn't just predict a Hillary landslide, they rejoiced in predicting a Hillary landslide. The MSM acted as advocates for Hillary rather than impartial observers reporting the news. And they are doing the very same thing today. All the talk of a coming "Blue Wave" is desperate hope as much as it is a prediction. You already see people like Bill Maher openly wishing for the economy to collapse into a recession for no reason other than to bring down Trump. How despicable is that? Is he also wishing for peace talks in North Korea to fail and war to break out? And while they would not admit it, there is no doubt in my mind that many on this board feel the same way as Bill Maher.

Unemployment is at an 18-year low. The Consumer Confidence Index is at a 16-year high. The stock market is at an all-time high. Taxes & regulations have been cut. The economy is expanding and businesses are hiring. Wages are increasing. And Liberals are despondent. Why do Liberals hate America so much that they would wish for recession & war over prosperity & peace....simply to regain political power?

As a lifelong conservative Republican who just left the party, I'll take the bait.

Because the long term cost of Trump flagrantly pissing on constitutional norms, presiding over one of the most corrupt administrations in American history, dividing the country, waging trade wars with allies, cozying up to autocrats and being a Russian puppet FAR outweigh the benefit of a strong economy at the tail end of a 10-year recovery (thanks Obama).

Not saying I agree with Bill Maher's statement but I understand his frustration. If Republicans (again, my former party) actually showed an ounce of intellectual honesty and called out Trump for even a tenth of what he's doing (a lot of the same shit pubs accused Obama of doing for 8 years) then maybe liberals, independents and former republicans (60% of the country) wouldn't be so despondent.

Trumpists stand for absolutely nothing but Donald Trump. There is no core, no principle, no belief amongst them except for protecting Dear Leader.

Last edited:
[/B]

As a lifelong conservative Republican who just left the party, I'll take the bait.

Because the long term cost of Trump flagrantly pissing on constitutional norms, dividing the country, waging trade wars with allies, cozying up to autocrats and being a Russian puppet FAR outweigh the benefit of a strong economy at the tail end of a 10-year recovery (thanks Obama).

If Republicans (again, my former party) actually showed an ounce of intellectual honesty and called out Trump for even a tenth of what he's doing then maybe liberals, independents and former republicans (60% of the country) wouldn't be so despondent.

Do you support sanctuary cities for illegal aliens who commit crimes while living in this country illegally?

Do you support sanctuary cities for illegal aliens who commit crimes while living in this country illegally?

What do you think a sanctuary city is?

Sanctuary cities are generally safer, seeing about 15% less crime and the biggest murder spikes in cities happened in cities that weren't sanctuary cities.

Sanctuary cities are honestly just upholding the Constitution. Detaining someone who has not been suspected of a crime is unconstitutional - as is detaining someone who is suspected of a crime who is undocumented who has been cleared, posted bail, or completed necessary jail time until ICE can pick them up.

Maher explains in the snippet that, to his thinking, a faltering economy might save our democracy.

From the idiot would-be king inhabiting the White House.

So he’s really just hoping some economic pain might spare us from a greater destruction.

So he’s just well-intended in this.

Back