• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Don't we have a sociologist on here who writes on housing developments?

the term "suburban" necessarily exists to demonstrate its relationship with "urban" -- where it gets its services, where people work, how it is accessed and populated.

I don't know anything about Lexington, but like Milhouse said those sound like neighborhoods in Lexington. If you don't consider Lexington an urban area and you're thinking of those communities as being related somehow to Winston (commuters? industries?), then wouldn't it be exurban or something like a retirement community?

The fact that non-urban neighborhoods and communities in the US form artificially (and that people can work entirely online now and live wherever) probably means we need to develop new terms. But the fact that most posters here are making arguments based on an established set of terms and you're using your own to disagree means that we end up arguing about terms instead of the issues. Where's Kory to tell us about STASIS!?

This simultaneously the most boring and interesting conversation I’ve ever read.

Sure. How would you classify upper middle class housing developments (The Vineyards at Lexington) and country club neighborhoods (Lexington Golf Club) in Lexington?

I would classify them as a plain tract housing neighborhood and a run down golf club neighborhood that is praying that course stays open so their property values don't crater.

Lexington is a shithole.

If you're not miserable enough living in High Point, check out Lexington.

I did have a nice discussion with Rick Monk the other day at the lunch counter at Lexington Barbecue though.

Welcome is a mere 15 minutes south of Winston, but it may as well be Mississippi.

That's true of almost any major city in NC - drive for half an hour in almost any direction and you'll be in another world. The urban/rural divide in this state is stark now.

If you're not miserable enough living in High Point, check out Lexington.

I did have a nice discussion with Rick Monk the other day at the lunch counter at Lexington Barbecue though.

Lexington is depressing. My mom and her sisters GTFO and never looked back after graduating high school. When we visit my great aunt there you can tell all of the baby boomers who could get out, did. I dunno how you save towns like that.

Seems like the people there are content with it.

Founder of a group that helps young people run for office:

Looked at some of her FB posts. I would classify her as an anarcho-libertarian. One of her primary solutions is to conduct all commerce in crytpto-currency.

Back