• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread: Acuna #1 by multiple sources

YoungBuck, did you see the tweet I am referring to? I was surprised to hear that also, but a BA writer would know better than me.

From Manfred's statement:

"I am releasing these players from their contracts with the Braves and declaring them free agents eligible to sign with any other Club."

Realistically, those guys aren't going to wait 6 months and forgo a bonus just to re-sign with Atlanta. Also, that would be a terrible look for the Braves - one that I'm sure both MLB and the Braves franchise would very much like to avoid at this point.

Man, I feel like the team got crippled for 20 years as a result of a terrible TV contract. Then just as the terrible TV contract is set to expire, we're probably going to crippled as a result of not being able to sign any top international prospects for 5 years.

YoungBuck, did you see the tweet I am referring to? I was surprised to hear that also, but a BA writer would know better than me.

Yes I did. While technically possible, like Say Hey said, they aren’t waiting 6 months to play baseball again.

To look at a possible bright side here, we kept Waters, the kid at the center of the first year draft scandal, as well as Pache & Cruz. Also, reports have soured on Maitan. It sucks to lose him and understandable that he struggled in rookie ball but he has definitely fallen off some, mostly due to his changing body it sounds like. This really hurts our depth but depending on where you look, it takes maybe only 1, if any, top 10 prospects.

We still have an incredibly loaded farm system and should still be a top 3 system.

Should the Bravos be working on a trade for Evan Longoria? With Santana being released it appears that Camargo is slated to be the utility guy next year.

Good news is all money coming our way will be off the books in 2018.

Appears to be a mutually beneficial deal. Also, Brandon McCarthy seems like a good dude.

I liked Kemp and think he got illegitimate criticism from braves fans.

With that in mind, this is a great move.
1. Acuna has a direct path to be our opening day LF.
2. McCarthy allows us to not rush a prospect too quickly into the starting rotation.
3. Culberson will provide an immediate utility man
4. 2019 payroll will be open for a strong FA class

Markakis will likely move to LF &’Acuna will take over in right.

Is the trade for Realmuto, Yelich and Prado happening or no? Braves possibly giving up Flowers and Newsome.

Is the trade for Realmuto, Yelich and Prado happening or no? Braves possibly giving up Flowers and Newsome.

If the Braves trade for all 3, the names of all the players sent to the Marlins will not fit in a single tweet.

Back