• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread: Acuna #1 by multiple sources

Obviously glad to have FF back, but I'm certainly going to miss watching Camargo everyday. Dude is a spark plug with a bright future.

Yeah...that was uhhhhhh terrible. I turned the game off after the 4th inning. Tonight could be much of the same with Garcia on the mound.

I'm ready for Phillips to be traded soon and Albies to be called up.

I just checked... Carlos Beltran and Nori Aoki are the only Astros position players with a wRC+ below 100. On most nights, the Astros field a lineup where every batter is above league average.

Also, Joe Musgrove is pitching for the Astros tonight. So... the Braves should score at least 5 runs.

Still a lot of baseball to be played. I actually feel like we have a better chance at the division than a wild card spot (though about a 10% chance for the playoffs overall). We are playing good ball and the Nats are choke artists with a lot of injuries. I also don't expect Zimmerman to keep it up.

I'd take a bet with those odds - FanGraphs and FiveThirtyEight put those chances at closer to 3%. No argument that the Nats are chokers,but the choking is usually reserved for October.

WTF was that rain delay Nats morons?

Didn't know this until Chip and Joe talked about it when the game started, but the home team doesn't turn over decisions like weather delays to the umps until the game starts, or something like that. Joe's theory was that the Nats didn't want Gio to pitch some good innings and then waste it with their bullpen after a lengthy weather delay.

As I recall, Joe said he hopes that the league investigates the matter and I think he's right. You can't just needlessly screw the fans who paid good $ to see a game against a division rival. The game started after 10pm and, according to the announcers, the trains in DC stop running at 11pm. Most left before/as the game started. More left when free drinks and ice cream was announced. The game was played, so I assume no refunds.

The radar was showing a chance of rain around 9pm and by the time they pulled the tarp out, they could have played 5-6 innings. Joe and Snitker said they hadn't seen that situation happen in their experience. Ender said the same on Twitter and there's a lot more of reactions like that if anyone wants to find them.

Last Metro train was leaving at 10:48 pm. I got to see one inning. They could have let everyone finish watching the Phillies Pirates game on the screen but that got pre-emptedby the Nationals announcement. Terrible PR and terrible management by Nationals.

Didn't know this until Chip and Joe talked about it when the game started, but the home team doesn't turn over decisions like weather delays to the umps until the game starts, or something like that. Joe's theory was that the Nats didn't want Gio to pitch some good innings and then waste it with their bullpen after a lengthy weather delay.

As I recall, Joe said he hopes that the league investigates the matter and I think he's right. You can't just needlessly screw the fans who paid good $ to see a game against a division rival. The game started after 10pm and, according to the announcers, the trains in DC stop running at 11pm. Most left before/as the game started. More left when free drinks and ice cream was announced. The game was played, so I assume no refunds.

The radar was showing a chance of rain around 9pm and by the time they pulled the tarp out, they could have played 5-6 innings. Joe and Snitker said they hadn't seen that situation happen in their experience. Ender said the same on Twitter and there's a lot more of reactions like that if anyone wants to find them.

Your first point was news to me as well when they said that. That should be something MLB immediately fixes to prevent this from happening again. iIRC this is the second time this year the Nats have done this. I believe it happened with a game against the Orioles also. Certainly seems like some underhanded business to keep from having to overuse their shitty bullpen.

The rule giving the home team the decision to cancel or delay the start of the game has been in place for all 60 years I've been a fan. After the first pitch of the game the umps are in charge. Changing the rule could be difficult if it requires the owners to relinquish a power under their control to the commissioner.

My hope for July after watching this week:
1) Trade Phillips
2) Trade Dickey
3) Trade Markakis
4) Trade Kemp

Bring up Albies and Acuna (although I know they won't). Retool the bullpen and find one more starter.

Looks like Johan Camargo is the latest fringe major leaguer Braves manager and writers are going to irrationally fall in love with.

Playing over Dansby for second time in 4 games. Bowman just said that as long as Camargo "continues to produce" it makes it more likely the Braves will trade Phillips. I am fine with trading Phillips, but with a .307 OBP the only thing Camargo is producing is a lot of outs.

DOB follows it up with a tweet about how he could "be a big part of the Braves future."

Fucking Jose Constanza 2.0

Think Dickey will definitely go. Markakis will stay as no one will want him (he sucks), same likely true of Kemp due to his contract (guess we could eat a huuuuuuge chunk of his contract, but would have to be huge). We also dont really have anyone else to play outfield.

Phillips will be interesting. Don't think we will trade him unless the team acquiring him will start him at 2b, and dont think there is any contender that has a need there.

Do expect Dickey to be moved, esp if he keeps pitching like he has been. Know we would like to move Garcia as well, but him getting shelled every time out does not help matters.

Back