• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread: Acuna #1 by multiple sources

Cool
Guess you don't see a correlation between the fangraph metric and fielding %. Also, Dansby has committed the 3rd most errors among active SS's this season.
Use whatever metric you want, but he ain't cutting it this year in the field or at the plate. Advanced stats or basic stats will show you he needed to be sent down.

I think the root cause of the Dansby mishandling is Snitker being on a one year contract, and thus being incentivized to win as many games as possible. So, with Camargo being the "hot hand," he wanted to play him over Dansby. This is obviously a bit of an issue, as the priority for the team right now should be developing players, but the front office kind of asked for this by just giving Snit a one year deal.

On Dansby specifically, looking at advanced stats, Dansby's biggest issue this year has been bad luck --- his batted ball profile is essentially identical to last year, as are walk and K percentages, but this year his BABIP is .266, rather than .383 like it was in his brief stint last year.

So, last year he looked a lot better than he actually was, this year he looks a lot worse than he actually is.

they are developing players by giving Camargo a shot. He's the same age as Dansby and has steadily moved through their farm system since he was drafted by the Braves as a 16/17 yo. He's showing a lot of promise offensively/defensively. It doesn't make sense to hold his development back by waiting for Dansby to progress. If nothing else it could significantly increase Camargo's trade value once Dansby gets back on track.

Here's an interesting article from Talking Chop about realistic expectations for top minor league prospects.
https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/7/28/16052770/the-lyle-overbay-rule-sickels

Kemp is awful. Acquiring him was second worst Coppy transaction.

I'd group it in with his worst. Kind of 1a & 1b since both involved Olivera. The deal to get him turned out so bad that there was no way to get out of it except by doing another bad deal. Similar to the bad FA deal for BJ Upton that cost Kimbrell to get out of it.

Without the Olivera deals, the Braves are legit WC contenders

They could have eaten it like SD did a day after the trade. They didn't have to tie BJ to Kimbrel either, especially in go nowhere seasons.

they are developing players by giving Camargo a shot. He's the same age as Dansby and has steadily moved through their farm system since he was drafted by the Braves as a 16/17 yo. He's showing a lot of promise offensively/defensively. It doesn't make sense to hold his development back by waiting for Dansby to progress. If nothing else it could significantly increase Camargo's trade value once Dansby gets back on track.

Here's an interesting article from Talking Chop about realistic expectations for top minor league prospects.
https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/7/28/16052770/the-lyle-overbay-rule-sickels

You can play them both though. Vs lefties, play Camargo at 3rd, since Adams sits versus them. Vs righties, rest BP, Dansby, and Adams one game a week or so. Do that, and you are playing both Camargo and Dansby 5ish times a week.

They could have eaten it like SD did a day after the trade. They didn't have to tie BJ to Kimbrel either, especially in go nowhere seasons.

To this point, for as good as a job as the Braves have done rebuilding the farm system, they could have done that much better a job if they had not had money concerns along the way. Tying BJ to Kimbrel was killer, especially when you look at what the Yankees got for Aroldis and Miller and the Padres got for Kimbrel. Even this most recent Jamie Garcia trade could have yielded a better return if we had been willing to pay the rest of his salary. Very frustrating.

I think bean counters are still running the show. I really hope getting money back from the Twins wasn't to offset the really minor salary they took on with Adams.

Tying Kimbrel to BJ was the third worst decision by this regime (although some say it was the reason they had the money to buy Touki) but it doesn't bother me as much as the deadline moves where we're sending better prospects for money with the acquired player like Caratini or Delgado, which Dempster vetoed.

Just jumping in to agree re: money in trades. That has been frustrating to watch. Pairing BJ Upton with Kimbrel was a killer.

Presented without comment:

242/.266/.387
Camargo since all star break

241/.276/.336
Camargo vs righties

(And yes, Dansby's numbers are even worse, but just pointing out that Camargo is not some revelation.)

probably going to tune in tonight and catch sims and Ozzie. hope it goes well!

Santana at third, Adams in left, Camargo at short. Good luck in your debut, Sims.

Santana at third, Adams in left, Camargo at short. Good luck in your debut, Sims.

This has disaster written all over it, defensively.

It seems as if Sims has finally put it all together this year. 10.3 K/9, 2.81 BB/9. He has outpitched his FIP but not xFIP this season. It does feel like he has been around forever (which he has), but he is still only 23.

Santana had a really bad olay at 3rd that lead to one run but overall a decently solid night for Sims. Hope they keep him up a bit. Looked to me like he missed his spots a bit yesterday but was "wildly effective." What did everyone else think?

Santana had a really bad olay at 3rd that lead to one run but overall a decently solid night for Sims. Hope they keep him up a bit. Looked to me like he missed his spots a bit yesterday but was "wildly effective." What did everyone else think?

I think the error you're talking about was on Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez came into the game after Madams left with dizziness. Santana moved to left and Rodriguez to 3rd.

I was impressed with Sims. Good stuff. Not sure if he throws a cutter (around 88mph) or if that is a hard slider.

I think the error you're talking about was on Sean Rodriguez. Rodriguez came into the game after Madams left with dizziness. Santana moved to left and Rodriguez to 3rd.

I was impressed with Sims. Good stuff. Not sure if he throws a cutter (around 88mph) or if that is a hard slider.

Nah I'm thinking of Santana. It was in the bottom of the third and Puig ripped a shot to third and Santana tried to pick it and made zero effort to get his body in front of it. Adams in left was slow to cut it off and has no arm so Puig got scored a double on what should have been a infield hit at worst. Wasn't scored an error but it was some bad defense.

Taking the family to a game Friday. Looking forward to checking out the new stadium. Decent seats (235 I think?) so I hope we get to see a fun game.

Back