• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

So we lost in the play in game with an NBA pg and an NBA power forward?

To be fair, Washington and NC State both had top 5 picks at the most important position (PG) and didn't sniff any tournament. (Granted, both coaches were promptly fired.)

And Odom was allowed to leave after getting Butlerized and Dino was fired a year after Cleveland State.

And Odom was allowed to leave after getting Butlerized and Dino was fired a year after Cleveland State.

And neither took over a dumpster fire of a program! But if Collins stays and we miss the tournament or get embarrassed in the first round then I agree that Manning's seat should be pretty warm.

And neither took over a dumpster fire of a program! But if Collins stays and we miss the tournament or get embarrassed in the first round then I agree that Manning's seat should be pretty warm.

If Collins stays, which I doubt, I boldly predict we don't get embarrassed in the first round.

SB Nation just updated their mock Collins going 25 with a blurb saying he must play better d to stick in the league.

Ball is going to get absolutely destroyed on defense in the NBA, he can't even stay in front of college guys right now. I know he's a really good offensive player but his shot mechanics, his father, and lack of defense/lateral quickness would make me really hesitant picking him 2 or 3. Really interested to see how many of the top PGs play/perform at the combine. Would think Fox and Smith are licking their chops to get a chance to go up against Ball in that setting.

I remember when people said the same thing about Steph currys defense.

Bob Staak- 45-69, 8-48 in 4 years at Wake.
[Redacted]- 51-76, 17-51.

You sure Coach Odom didn't take over a dumpster fire?

[name redacted]- 51-76, 17-51.

Not compared to Manning. The difference between what [name redacted] and Staak is almost as large as the difference Staak and Dino.

Still, I should have said neither was three years removed from taking over a dumpster fire of a program.

ETA: Got my comparisons of shit mixed up

Last edited:
[Redacted]- 51-76, 17-51.

Absolutely did not take over a "dumpster fire". He had Tucker, King, McQueen,Ivy, Siler and we were in great shape for recruiting Rodney and Chill. Danny was in very dramatically worse shape when he took over.

Ball's passing/court vision is his elite skill. The shot mechanics won't matter if the ball goes in consistently from 30 feet like it does now. And you can hide bad PG defense a lot better in the NBA than in college. I think it's a bigger deal for a guy like Smith Jr, who doesn't have an elite skill but is good at several things offensively, to be abysmal at defense.

If you don't think DSJ has an elite skill/NBA skill I don't know what to tell you. Go watch his game against VT or Duke. It's not his fault he had a bum as a coach and didn't improve as the season went on due to that ineptitude. Hell, DSJs assist rate is higher than Lonzo's.

Smith has some pouty/mental stuff that he didn't deal with well this year but his athleticism, ball handling, court vision, and ability to break down guys off the dribble and get to the rim are really, really impressive. He's built for the NBA, not college.

I'd love Josh Jackson a lot more as a possible #1 overall pick if MKG hadn't proven that super skilled forwards that can't shoot end up being difficult fits in the modern NBA. Maybe Jackson refines his form and turns into a 35%+ 3pt shooter in the NBA and a 70%+ FT shooter ... but I'm not sold that's the case. If you told me in 5 years he was shooting like that though, I'd take him #1 in a heartbeat. He defends 3 positions, he's a great rebounder, he's a very good passer and he competes like a maniac. Everything is there but the shooting, and that scares me a bit.

If you don't think DSJ has an elite skill/NBA skill I don't know what to tell you. Go watch his game against VT or Duke. It's not his fault he had a bum as a coach and didn't improve as the season went on due to that ineptitude. Hell, DSJs assist rate is higher than Lonzo's.

Smith has some pouty/mental stuff that he didn't deal with well this year but his athleticism, ball handling, court vision, and ability to break down guys off the dribble and get to the rim are really, really impressive. He's built for the NBA, not college.

Please don't compare DSJ to Lonzo ever again. Now go wash your mouth out with soap.

Don't think Ball and DSJ are that far apart as a prospect. Although different skillsets, DSJ has some skills that are better than some skills Ball has, and Ball has some skills that are better than DSJ's.

We know that athleticism plays in the NBA over some things that may lack in skill (see: Teague vs. Chilldress, R). DSJ has more athleticism (I would argue elite) than Ball, but Ball's passing skills are elite.

It will be fun to compare these two NBA careers

Please don't compare DSJ to Lonzo ever again. Now go wash your mouth out with soap.

Lol, we will see how their careers go. At least one of us will be right.

Back