• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Coaches DEATH MATCH - who you got?

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
If all 15 ACC coaches were to be locked in a steel cage and ordered to fight to the death until only 1 remained, how would you rank the likelihood of success?

Here is my ranking in REVERSE order (i.e., first to die --> steel cage death match winner)

Coach K - Would be immediately killed due to inferior spine and the fact that all the other 14 coaches would cooperate initially to murder him first. Wildcard is the fact that K may be protected by the dark magik of Satan, but at the end of the day I strongly suspect his demise would mirror the final scene in Death Proof.

giphy.gif

mqdefault.jpg

Rick Pitino - In his prime, may have had a chance as a scrappy Italian fighter, but today appears to weigh like 130 pounds. Seriously, Rick, maybe toss a chicken parm atop your penne or whatever, mix in some protein. The bell would ring, K would be stomped to death, then Buzz Williams would charge Pitino with a head of steam and Pitino would be crushed instantly, like a white rhino rampaging over Zazu the Bird from the Lion King. Roadkill.

Pitino/Zazu:
i3ysll.jpg

Buzz/Rhinoceros:
7d584bc41b310fdf3349615012ec29d0.jpg

Aftermath:
gg4467231.jpg

Jim Boeheim - Old and skinny, wears glasses like a nerd. Could see Gottfried going straight for Boeheim, plucking off Jimmy's glasses whilst calling him a f*g, then while Boeheim is stumbling around looking for his specs, Gott laughs and kicks him in the stomach, leading to a lethal spleen rupture. I'm picturing a Roy Stalin/Lane Meyer dynamic. On the other hand, Boeheim seems to have a bit of nerd rage and Lane Meyer did ultimately take down Stalin in the K12, on one ski no less. But still, this ain't Hollywood. Boeheim gonna get got.

Better-Off-Dead-2.jpg

Jim Larranaga - Old as hell, but has the look of one of those proud, old, no-nonsense Marine types who can still bang out like 300 push-ups and run 6 miles, so should outlast K, Pitino and Boeheim. Still though, he's elderly and that's going to be a problem for Jimbo against some stiff competition.

palancepushups-gif_234214.gif

Roy Williams - In shape for a soon-to-be-retiree, but Roy is far too soft to survive long in the steel cage. As soon as his mind wanders to the country club golf course, boom, Mike Brey punches him the throat. Best chance is to try to leverage the Kansas thing with Danny Manning, remind Danny how Roy wore that Jayhawk sticker that time at the Final 4, and try to hide behind him for a while. If this competition was "tannest ACC coach," Roy would have that one in the bag.

bilde.jpg

Kevin Stallings - Not impressed by his dad bod physicality, but holy hell this guy seems pissed all the time. That rage will be helpful for Stallings -- you need the ganas de to survive -- but the cream tends to rise to the top in a steel cage death match and doubt Stallings has the endurance to make it long.

KEVIN-STALLINGS-MF.gif

Josh Pastner - Pros: youngest participant; physically fit. Cons: looks like a douche; was this guy a walk-on at Duke in the late 90s? May be able to run around for a while to evade opponents, maybe try to climb to the top of the cage to hide, but ultimately I think Leonard Hamilton is going to enjoy grabbing young Pastner by the hair and beating his damn ass. Plus, as someone else here pointed out, Pastner looks like the President of a college young Republican student group.

ga-cr-ff.jpg

Brad Brownell - Possible sleeper since he is the boringest coach for the boringest program in ACC basketball. Could Brownell use that relative anonymity to his advantage, counting on the other coaches to prioritize trophy kills like K and Roy while he hangs back? I really have no idea, because I don't know anything about him. He did get real mad at Roy that time though and from this pic looks like he was ready to maybe go dark side of chimps on Ol' Roy:

hqdefault.jpg

Mark Gottfried - Okay, now we're getting into the bona fide contenders. Gott is a bigger dude and carries himself with that Alpha intensity. Per the above, I could see him targeting weaker opponents like Pitino and Boeheim and bullying them a bit. But, could one of the nerds surprisingly rise up and pull a "hey you, get your damn hands off of her?" and slug the macho Gott in the face? Also, this dude got fired like 2 weeks ago and isn't even really a coach anymore. He's not going to want to do the steel cage and may not be contractually obligated to participate.

3543562.gif

Mike Brey - I really have no opinion of his fighting style or really Mike Brey in general. How many goddamn teams are in the ACC, anyway? This was way easier to write when there were 9. Anyway, this dude is built pretty solidily and I don't hate him and look at the impressive chest salad on this guy. A man as hairy as this should be able to do well in the steel cage.

2h72d0n.jpg

Tony Bennett - Wife has a crush on this guy and, to be honest, so do I a little bit. Definitely the most handsome coach in the league. Also tall and strong, and true story I once worked out next to him at the gym when UVA was playing the NCAA Tournament here and said hi to him and he was nice and, okay, calm down. Breathe. I'm calm now. Anyway, I think Bennett would do well, probably really well, but in the end his ridiculous good lookingness may be his downfall because I'll bet an ugly guy like that toad Kevin Stallings would LOVE to put a dent of Bennett's beautiful face or knock out a few teeth. That would be a tragedy. Jesus H, this is one dreamy bastard.

910603_f900356fe0fa41d6bde085107b1993a3.jpg_256

Danny Manning - Danny is the most difficult coach to handicap because he is the biggest and most physically gifted, but he also has some serious miles on that body. No doubt his balky knees would make an enticing target for a Buzz Williams or Jim Christian. If they get low, Danny could be in trouble. On the other hand, if he can use his size and superior reach to keep opponents away, Danny could box away and really kick some ass. Also, Danny obviously has a quiet coolness where he would totally be the guy who knocks out Gottfried with a single hard slap to the ear, then doesn't smile or emote or anything, but rather just moves on to the next target like a pro. Survive and advance. He did it in '88. Can he do it again in '17?

da048d695a0601ffc073cf6413b49043.jpg

Jim Christian and Buzz Williams - Putting these guys together because they resemble a couple of bull elephants and for that reason alone would likely inflict some major damage in an enclosed space like the steel cage. You also know Buzz and Christian probably feel a little overlooked being at a football school and a school where they seem to have folded their Athletics program, respectively. If they're smart, what they do is team up and rampage through the rest of the competition. Whittle down the competition to just the two of them and then duel to the death. At that point, head to head, I'd probably give it to Buzz because Christ he seems like a total maniac.

latest

Leonard Hamilton - Okay, I know some of you are going to be like, "whaaaat? Leonard Hamilton is old, no way he'd be the Steel Cage Death Match Champion !" Friends, I respectfully disagree. First, even though he's almost 70 years old, this guy is still built solid like a brick shithouse and looks basically the same now as he did 20 years ago. He looks like Bunny Colvin from The Wire, and that dude came up with Hamsterdam which was awesome. Second, he's kind of old school and probably knows how to box and old wrestling moves and probably also says stuff like "mano y mano" unironically. Third, I just really think he has the stare of a man who is very comfortable beating a motherfucker to death. I see him possibly teaming up with Danny Manning to take out early competition, then using his wisdom and guile to triumph over Buzz Williams, maybe pulling some kind of Mister Miyagi shit where he makes Buzz punch the steel cage a couple of times, then grabs Buzz and finishes him off by crushing his nose bone into his brain, thus becoming the Champ.

Leonard-Hamilton-500x383.jpg

movie01.jpg

Leonard+Hamilton+Coaches+Vs+Cancer+Classic+7Cy1Rzn_uNCl.jpg

What do you guys think?

Buzz Williams seems like the 1 seed, I have to say. Dude is built like a freight train. His shoulders are gargantuan.

Coach Manning has the reach though.

Another question is...has anyone ever seen Leonard Hamilton and Bunnie Colvin in the same room together?

Presumably they're different people. I know Leonard Hamilton was busy coaching when The Wire was being filmed. But I'm not entirely convinced.

Manning makes final 4, but mobility is eventually his downfall. I think Larranaga lasts to the halfway point and should be moved up a few spots. Hamilton and Buzz Williams are a tossup at the end. Hell, Williams bled through the game the other night and wouldn't even talk about it post game. Could be one of those situations where Buzz gets the job done in the cage, walks out like it was nothing, then sits down under a tree and dies without a word.

Take Danny's knees out and he's done, I think Danny deserves a replacement due to the bad knees and we sub in our breaded strength coach and he whips the crap out of all the other coaches, leaving K and Roy until last and he makes them suffer.

Take Danny's knees out and he's done, I think Danny deserves a replacement due to the bad knees and we sub in our breaded strength coach and he whips the crap out of all the other coaches, leaving K and Roy until last and he makes them suffer.

No clue how you even did that.

Here's my ranking of death order:

Jim Boeheim - busy whining about the whole thing and taken out by Brey before he realizes what happened, Brey laughs like a maniacal leprechaun
Coach K - appalled that Boeheim got taken out so quickly though he deserved more, hit from behind by Jim Christian, back snaps like taco
Rick Pitino - takes off jacket "ok then let's do this!", immediately leveled by Larranaga, who spitinos on him
Jim Larranaga - self satisfied that he might still have it, immediately rottweilered by Buzz, throat ripped out
Roy Williams - looking on in amazement "dadgum!" Stallings jumps on him with repeated body blows
Kevin Stallings - just as he's finishing Roy, Gottfriend takes advantage of his exhaustion and goes for the nuts
Tony Bennett - too busy running around protecting his hair, surprise piledriver by Manning
Josh Pastner - makes a poor attempt on Leonard "Foreman" Hamilton just to get involved, immediately regrets it
Mark Gottfried - feeling good about himself gets into it with Jim Christian and...
Jim Christian - was there something in Gott's eyes? Could this be...? No Brad Brownell slams their skulls together
Mike Brey - caught between the junkyard dogs Buzz and Hamilton, backs right into Manning who lifts him into the air one handed and cracks his neck
Buzz Williams - turns on Leonard Hamilton who eats his face as he...
Leonard Hamilton - gets Buzz's thumbs wedged through his eyes into his brain, mutual KO
Brad Brownell - plays dirty, throws sand in Manning's eyes, tries to run around Manning confusing his location, Manning takes all ten buttons off his jacket, scattering them to sonar locate Brownell, then effortlessly lassoing Brownell's neck with his gold sateen tie.
Danny Manning - stands alone among the bodies, beats his chest, eyes droop slightly, he mutters 'we goddamn finish."

wow. HOF thread

yes. this is fantastic

Buzz gets my vote to win it because he's short with a low center of gravity and because he's relatively younger compared to the other guys. On second thought, Pitino wins this because well...he's a vampire. He has immortality

yes. this is fantastic

Buzz gets my vote to win it because he's short with a low center of gravity and because he's relatively younger compared to the other guys. On second thought, Pitino wins this because well...he's a vampire. He has immortality

Buzz is a stout fire plug, plus he looks like he could head butt the crap out of you with that dome.

Pastner goes down first, or doesn't even make it to the ring, due to getting got by my high school friends of mine during the intros. He was a walk on at Arizona, but it might as well have been Duke, and my friends and I have all wanted him dead even though we are Arizona fans. Plus, he looks like he's put on some pounds. Pastner goes down first. I vow it.

Pastner goes down first, or doesn't even make it to the ring, due to getting got by my high school friends of mine during the intros. He was a walk on at Arizona, but it might as well have been Duke, and my friends and I have all wanted him dead even though we are Arizona fans. Plus, he looks like he's put on some pounds. Pastner goes down first. I vow it.

tombstone-1993-ike-clanton.jpg

Manning makes final 4, but mobility is eventually his downfall. I think Larranaga lasts to the halfway point and should be moved up a few spots. Hamilton and Buzz Williams are a tossup at the end. Hell, Williams bled through the game the other night and wouldn't even talk about it post game. Could be one of those situations where Buzz gets the job done in the cage, walks out like it was nothing, then sits down under a tree and dies without a word.

I just accidentally neg repped you when I tried to give you some poes. The "sit down under a tree and dies without a word" thing is poetry.

Back