• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Durham / RTP Advice

TBDeac

Reaction score
So my wife recently matched into Duke (gross, I know) for her medical residency, so we'll be moving from the Northeast into the triangle area this summer. I've visited a number of times, including while at Wake, but never lived out there so I was hoping maybe some people on here could give me some insight.

We are looking to just rent a house for a few years (no kids yet). Based on some information they sent us and a little online research it seems like the Southpoint area makes sense or maybe a little further into the RTP area, as I still need to find a job and may branch down to Raleigh, but we still want to be fairly close to the medical center. That said, I'd be open to other suggestions.

Beyond housing, I'd appreciate any other recommendations of food or things to do in the area that anyone might have. And if anyone is looking to hire an accountant with Big 4 manager experience, let me know. :thumbsup:

Congratulations. Durham is a great city.

Rent close to the action. You will have plenty of time to live in the suburbs chasing good school systems later.

Not sure if you want to live closer to her work or yours, but Brier Creek would probably split the difference.

Durham is a weird city in that it does not have a good/bad side of town, but instead it is all mashed together. So a good neighborhood could turn bad in a short distance. I would bet there are case studies on Durham under Poor City Planning.

Not sure if you want to live closer to her work or yours, but Brier Creek would probably split the difference.

Durham is a weird city in that it does not have a good/bad side of town, but instead it is all mashed together. So a good neighborhood could turn bad in a short distance. I would bet there are case studies on Durham under Poor City Planning.

So good city planning would segregate the good neighborhoods from the bad ones?

Downtown Durham is cool, and just off-Downtown there are some nice spots with entertainment, eating, and living options. Lots of young folks, still reasonable rents (though rising fast), and good deals on starter homes to buy, as well. I wouldn't live near Southpoint if you want cool options within a short drive/walk/bus other than the Southpoint options, and if you're worried about the commute, Southpoint area would be better for RTP, but probably not that big difference to downtown Raleigh from a cool spot closer to downtown Durham. But I'm biased against malls and built up consumer/retail/mixed-use stuff, so that plays into it. You won't be far from anything in Southpoint, so it might be fine and what you're looking for, but there are some good and reasonable areas closer to the hospital that you might dig more.

Don't live in RTP. Southpoint is fine. Brier Creek is retail hell with a country club on the ass end of it. Chapel Hill and Raleigh are better, IMO (I'm biased since I live in Raleigh).

I live near Southpoint. It's convenient to downtown and 40 and there are some fun dining options around here.

There are a good number of chains, especially around the mall.

But there's also some good options not far from the mall too.

I know of a great apartment convenient to both Cameron indoor stadium and NCCU that should be open in about a month. PM me for details.

The GF and myself are officially officially committed to moving to Raleigh this summer. My two good HS buddies live with their SOs in North Raleigh near the North Hills/Millbrook area. So we're going to start our housing search there. We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom condo or house (she'll be working from home) with a yard for our dogs. We'd prefer newer appliances and a newer condo/house look.

What's the price range we should be looking for? Money shouldn't really be an issue, as we will both be relocating from more expensive areas, but it would be nice to know what we should be looking for.

Also any cool neighborhood (I would love an area with a good coffee spot, bar, gym, grocery) or rental company recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back