• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the Good Republicans?

NEVER SAY DIE: THE #NEVERTRUMPERS STILL WAGING WAR ON TWITTER

A few faithful rightists, like Evan McMullin and Jennifer Rubin, refuse to accept Trump’s incompetence and venality. Will their blogs and tweets force a reckoning?

These faithful upholders of conservative principle and Republican tradition deserve a nod from those of us in the opposing dugout. For theirs is a lonesome lot, a larger estrangement. Those on the liberal-Democratic side of the great divide are able to pool our anger, fear, and frustration, knowing there are millions who feel likewise and are taking medication. To be a conservative Republican who refuses to swear allegiance to the Trump imperium and follow the red-carpet path of Newt Gingrich, Ted Cruz, and so many others into slavish finkdom is to be out of joint with a party rejoicing in victory and disparaging anyone not with the program as “cucks,” the go-to slime word of the alt-right. The anti-Trump dissenters will eventually be vindicated, as dissenters usually are, but “eventually” can last a lot longer than you think, and laurels to those able to hang tough.

McMullin’s steadfastness to constitutional values and inclusive dialogue are a model for us all (very Obama-ish, with fewer octaves), but every once in a while you want, you need, a hand grenade rolled into the tent to flush out the enemy and create a ruckus. That’s where Rick Wilson, veteran hand-grenade roller, comes in. Unlike the Mormon McMullin, Wilson doesn’t work PG. A Republican political consultant and media strategist based in Florida, where they play extra not-nice, Wilson goes for the jugular and the groin, once describing some Trump supporters as “childless single men who masturbate to anime.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/06/the-nevertrumpers-still-waging-war-on-twitter

Solid read and 100% accurate in my case.

"If the GOP were going to be the party of fiscal sobriety, international leadership and free markets, these Romney-Clinton voters were willing to put up with a lot. They’ve gotten by for years saying, ‘Well it’s not like Sean Hannity is the party’ or by self-identifying as “Jack Kemp” Republicans. Unfortunately, Sean Hannity is very much the GOP these days, and Jack Kemp, R.I.P., has been dead for eight years.

However, along with reason, science and respect for democratic norms, the GOP jettisoned much of the real-world agenda such voters had come to associate with their party. If they are going to be asked to associate with the flock of know-nothings who now populate the GOP and they’re not going to get a functional government, then why stick with the party? Many are not. They just do not know where to go."

Solid read and 100% accurate in my case.

"If the GOP were going to be the party of fiscal sobriety, international leadership and free markets, these Romney-Clinton voters were willing to put up with a lot. They’ve gotten by for years saying, ‘Well it’s not like Sean Hannity is the party’ or by self-identifying as “Jack Kemp” Republicans. Unfortunately, Sean Hannity is very much the GOP these days, and Jack Kemp, R.I.P., has been dead for eight years.

However, along with reason, science and respect for democratic norms, the GOP jettisoned much of the real-world agenda such voters had come to associate with their party. If they are going to be asked to associate with the flock of know-nothings who now populate the GOP and they’re not going to get a functional government, then why stick with the party? Many are not. They just do not know where to go."

This pretty much a portrait of Wrangor, particularly the functional government. I am an efficiency junky, and when leaders willfully destroy efficiency it drives me up a wall.

John Kasich is still fighting the good fight though. I love that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched my registration from Republican to Independent approximately 6-7 years ago. Mostly voting for Democratic candidates since then. Even donated for first time ever to HRCs campaign. No, not a fan of hers, just could foresee the catastrophe of a Trump presidency. And her biggest flaw is just not being personable or able to connect with folks, hard as I think she tried. Never went for all the BS "crooked" garbage, "Benghazi" BS, etc.

Republicans have for so long simply striven to be "against" "liberal ideology" (and continuously painted Obama as such). They literally have now no idea how to govern other than trying to do the opposite of what they thing "liberals" might do. The solution to every problem is to cut taxes, cut regulation, try to "shrink" government. With notable exceptions wrt a few "social" issues where they are happy to have more government/regulation. There's little to no interest to try to understand problems or find more effective actual solutions.

We need a renewed respect for civic life that recognizes the value of public engagement, fact-based education and reporting, and a valued role for government institutions and agencies. And a politics that can respect these things and seek reasonable balance between government assistance, protections, and personal responsibility. Jesus, it doesn't have to be either/or. In most cases both/and is closer to what's needed.

But a governing philosophy that's built almost entirely on opposition to "liberals", "government" and "taxes", not to mention racial prejudice and animus towards all "others" is just insular, degrading, and destructive.

I switched my registration from Republican to Independent approximately 6-7 years ago. Mostly voting for Democratic candidates since then. Even donated for first time ever to HRCs campaign. No, not a fan of hers, just could foresee the catastrophe of a Trump presidency. And her biggest flaw is just not being personable or able to connect with folks, hard as I think she tried. Never went for all the BS "crooked" garbage, "Benghazi" BS, etc.

Republicans have for so long simply striven to be "against" "liberal ideology" (and continuously painted Obama as such). They literally have now no idea how to govern other than trying to do the opposite of what they thing "liberals" might do. The solution to every problem is to cut taxes, cut regulation, try to "shrink" government. With notable exceptions wrt a few "social" issues where they are happy to have more government/regulation. There's little to no interest to try to understand problems or find more effective actual solutions.

We need a renewed respect for civic life that recognizes the value of public engagement, fact-based education and reporting, and a valued role for government institutions and agencies. And a politics that can respect these things and seek reasonable balance between government assistance, protections, and personal responsibility. Jesus, it doesn't have to be either/or. In most cases both/and is closer to what's needed.

But a governing philosophy that's built almost entirely on opposition to "liberals", "government" and "taxes", not to mention racial prejudice and animus towards all "others" is just insular, degrading, and destructive.

Just call yourself a Rockefeller Republican. I've had enough of those people.

I switched my registration from Republican to Independent approximately 6-7 years ago. Mostly voting for Democratic candidates since then. Even donated for first time ever to HRCs campaign. No, not a fan of hers, just could foresee the catastrophe of a Trump presidency. And her biggest flaw is just not being personable or able to connect with folks, hard as I think she tried. Never went for all the BS "crooked" garbage, "Benghazi" BS,

Barack Obama spent eight years ignoring and undermining the United States Constitution. HRC would have continued that trend.For you to say her major problem was her personality and failure to "connect" with people demonstrates to me that you are a RINO. Trump is doing great work in some areas even if he is a cluster in others. Good riddance to you.

Barack Obama spent eight years ignoring and undermining the United States Constitution. HRC would have continued that trend.For you to say her major problem was her personality and failure to "connect" with people demonstrates to me that you are a RINO. Trump is doing great work in some areas even if he is a cluster in others. Good riddance to you.

I would imagine the President does well with the Barton College crowd.

Do tell, I'm willing to hear you out.

Being a registered member of either party is the equivalent of an adult wearing a jersey with a player's name on the back: unless you're that player don't wear it, and unless you're running for office don't be a member of a political party.

Do tell, I'm willing to hear you out.

His Supreme Court nomination, which is obvious. Then there is the climate "agreement." I put that in quotation marks because it was never submitted to the Senate. He has called upon Europe to pay more for its defense. To borrow from Glenn Reynolds, I will believe the Europeans are under threat from the Russians when they start spending more money on their defense. He is attempting to rein in the power of the administrative state. Jeff Sessions is going to get the Justice Department out of cahoots with the social justice warriors. Everything begins there. (Sessions is a disaster when it comes to the "Drug War," but you can't have everything. And he doesn't seem to think much of the anti-commandeering doctrine because he appears to be a National Greatness Republican.) Let's not forget that Trump, unlike Michelle Obama, is not that interested in telling the lunch ladies what they serve the children.

Trump is no one's idea of a conservative, and he has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution. I don't think he much cares what is in it. Obama knows what is in there but is determined not to let it stand in the way of his plans. Therefore, he will always be the more dangerous character because he has a better way with words.

I find the Republican war on healthy school lunches to be one of the weird ideological battles they continue to wage.

Being a registered member of either party is the equivalent of an adult wearing a jersey with a player's name on the back: unless you're that player don't wear it, and unless you're running for office don't be a member of a political party.

In many states registering independent removes you from voting in party primaries.Only registered members of their respective parties can vote in them. Few states have open primaries, so not being party registered effectively removes you from the first round of voting. It also removes you from party conventions and caucuses. Therefore, party registration is a lot more than just "wearing your team jersey." It also gets you admission to the first round of voting, which is more important in many cases then the finals. Particularly for US House of Representatives seats.

His Supreme Court nomination, which is obvious. Then there is the climate "agreement." I put that in quotation marks because it was never submitted to the Senate. He has called upon Europe to pay more for its defense. To borrow from Glenn Reynolds, I will believe the Europeans are under threat from the Russians when they start spending more money on their defense. He is attempting to rein in the power of the administrative state. Jeff Sessions is going to get the Justice Department out of cahoots with the social justice warriors. Everything begins there. (Sessions is a disaster when it comes to the "Drug War," but you can't have everything. And he doesn't seem to think much of the anti-commandeering doctrine because he appears to be a National Greatness Republican.) Let's not forget that Trump, unlike Michelle Obama, is not that interested in telling the lunch ladies what they serve the children.

Trump is no one's idea of a conservative, and he has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution. I don't think he much cares what is in it. Obama knows what is in there but is determined not to let it stand in the way of his plans. Therefore, he will always be the more dangerous character because he has a better way with words.

Wow

Back