• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the Good Republicans?

In many states registering independent removes you from voting in party primaries.Only registered members of their respective parties can vote in them. Few states have open primaries, so not being party registered effectively removes you from the first round of voting. It also removes you from party conventions and caucuses. Therefore, party registration is a lot more than just "wearing your team jersey." It also gets you admission to the first round of voting, which is more important in many cases then the finals. Particularly for US House of Representatives seats.

Agreed. I felt the same as DownEast for years. I was Unaffiliated until 2008. I only registered to vote in the Dem primary and that was more against Hillary than for Obama. Now I'm considering getting active in the local Democratic Party. Better to try to fix the problems with the Dems than complain about them. The Republicans are too far gone.

His Supreme Court nomination, which is obvious. Then there is the climate "agreement." I put that in quotation marks because it was never submitted to the Senate. He has called upon Europe to pay more for its defense. To borrow from Glenn Reynolds, I will believe the Europeans are under threat from the Russians when they start spending more money on their defense. He is attempting to rein in the power of the administrative state. Jeff Sessions is going to get the Justice Department out of cahoots with the social justice warriors. Everything begins there. (Sessions is a disaster when it comes to the "Drug War," but you can't have everything. And he doesn't seem to think much of the anti-commandeering doctrine because he appears to be a National Greatness Republican.) Let's not forget that Trump, unlike Michelle Obama, is not that interested in telling the lunch ladies what they serve the children.

Trump is no one's idea of a conservative, and he has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution. I don't think he much cares what is in it. Obama knows what is in there but is determined not to let it stand in the way of his plans. Therefore, he will always be the more dangerous character because he has a better way with words.

You're so right. there's no sense in feeding children healthy food.

As to Sessions, he committed perjury during his Senate hearing. He also lied on his clearance document, "corrected" it and then lied my not telling about other meetings. He should have already been forced to step down.

His Supreme Court nomination, which is obvious.

Well, he should not have a had that nomination anyway and still had to change the rules to get him confirmed.

Then there is the climate "agreement." I put that in quotation marks because it was never submitted to the Senate.

That's because it was voluntary and non-binding.

He has called upon Europe to pay more for its defense. To borrow from Glenn Reynolds, I will believe the Europeans are under threat from the Russians when they start spending more money on their defense.

Calling on someone to do something isn't an accomplishment.

He is attempting to rein in the power of the administrative state.

I'll assume you're claiming that deregulation of the financial markets, dismantling the EPA, and intentionally leaving over 400 leadership positions in the government unfilled, not because of obstructionism, but because he hasn't nominated anyone for those positions are good things.

Jeff Sessions is going to get the Justice Department out of cahoots with the social justice warriors. Everything begins there. (Sessions is a disaster when it comes to the "Drug War," but you can't have everything. And he doesn't seem to think much of the anti-commandeering doctrine because he appears to be a National Greatness Republican.)

Nominating an AG who is probably going to be charged with perjury isn't really a win.

Let's not forget that Trump, unlike Michelle Obama, is not that interested in telling the lunch ladies what they serve the children.

I'm not sure how suggesting kids eat healthier is a bad thing, so I'm not sure that the opposite is a good thing.

Trump is no one's idea of a conservative, and he has only a passing knowledge of the Constitution. I don't think he much cares what is in it. Obama knows what is in there but is determined not to let it stand in the way of his plans.

First, when did Obama not let the Constitution stand in the way of his plans? Second, I'm not sure ignorance of the Constitution is a good thing.

Therefore, he will always be the more dangerous character because he has a better way with words.

Good news, Obama ain't President anymore so that danger has passed.

I do appreciate your civil, extensive response.

RaleighDevil, is there something in the Constitution that stopped Obama from taking everybody's guns?

Anything that stopped him from being King Obama and running for a third term?

In many states registering independent removes you from voting in party primaries.Only registered members of their respective parties can vote in them. Few states have open primaries, so not being party registered effectively removes you from the first round of voting. It also removes you from party conventions and caucuses. Therefore, party registration is a lot more than just "wearing your team jersey." It also gets you admission to the first round of voting, which is more important in many cases then the finals. Particularly for US House of Representatives seats.

In North Carolina an unaffiliated voter can choose which party's primary you want to vote in. On a number of times where top of the ticket primaries weren't competitive I chose the party ballot based on who I wanted to support at the local/county level. The only drawback I see of being unaffiliated is you're targeted by both sides for robo calls and junk mail, but at least the parties don't come asking for donation$.

Quote:
----------
...One is prompted to ask if he is off his rocker. But this is vintage Trump — impulsive and cruel, without an ounce of class or human decency. His behavior no longer surprises us, but it should offend and disturb us, first, that he remains the face and voice of America in the world and, second, that his fans hoot and holler, seeing this as inconsequential or acceptable conduct. We wound up with this president because millions of Republicans could not prioritize character, decency and overall fitness to serve over their mundane and frankly petty partisan wish list (28 percent top marginal tax rate!). Self-appointed religious leaders fail to see that this soullessness — not the dreaded liberal elite who insist on saying “Happy Holidays” or refuse to countenance discrimination against gay customers — is a threat to the moral fiber of a democracy that requires a modicum of common sense and human decency to function.

Sure, Trump’s policies and rhetoric are incoherent and based on a tower of lies. Far worse, however, is his appalling character, which accelerates the erosion of democratic norms and social cohesion a diverse democracy requires. In instances like this, those who would lecture us on President Obama’s under-appreciation of America’s unique place in human history or proclaim that they simply had to vote for Trump because Hillary Clinton was some sort of monster are exposed as fools or hypocrites or both.

The London attacks bring out the best in Britain and in Western leaders on the European continent; it brings out the worst in Trump and his followers. The former protect the soul of Western civilization; the latter drive a stake through the animating ideas that make America special.
----------

Corker
McCain
Bush

All with sobering warnings about Trumpism in the past two weeks.

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that we're not even 10% of the way through his Presidency.

Just a friendly reminder that we're not even 10% of the way through his Presidency.

They may find a way to lose to Pence after this is over. I never thought they'd be dumb enough to lose once. Two more times is certainly possible. I will never doubt then again.

They may find a way to lose to Pence after this is over. I never thought they'd be dumb enough to lose once. Two more times is certainly possible. I will never doubt then again.

They being the Republican or Democratic Party? Or just the specific board liberals who hurt your feelings?

Did a Republican get elected President in 2016?

They being the Republican or Democratic Party? Or just the specific board liberals who hurt your feelings?

Did a Republican get elected President in 2016?

Board liberals aren't persuasive enough to have an impact, either with me or with voters.

A thrice-married, pro choice New Yorker won the Presidency. Does that sound like a Republican to you?

Keep doing what you do 07, dont think for a second the board doesn’t have an impact or he wouldn’t be flailing first thing in the morning.

Keep doing what you do 07, dont think for a second the board doesn’t have an impact or he wouldn’t be flailing first thing in the morning.

The bubble is killing you guys.

Whose fault will your next humiliating depheat be? I can't wait to hear.

Someone is in denial about what a republican is. Sorry you are in a party that is a walking talking hypocrite but yes a thrice married, abortion positive only when personally involved, con man, Christian talk but against everything jesus stood for is republican through and through.

Board liberals aren't persuasive enough to have an impact, either with me or with voters.

A thrice-married, pro choice New Yorker won the Presidency. Does that sound like a Republican to you?

Yes it does. Do you agree that Republicans won the White House in 2016?

Hills JHMD will die on:

1. Donald didn't say that to the widow
2. Donald isn't a Republican
3. Donald isn't the leader of the Republican Party

Back