• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fyre Festival

deacfan123

Reaction score
Anyone heard about this? Supposedly it is supposed to be a lavish music festival in the Bahamas put on by Ja Rule, sponsored by lots of models which people paid anywhere from $500-$12000 for tickets. Basically showed up and its a refugee camp with sketchy security, no real food or drinks, refugee tents as their lavish housing. Wild stuff. Posted a few links below.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/04/12000-luxury-fyre-festival-is-basically-a-disaster-zone/
http://pitchfork.com/news/73163-chaos-at-ja-rules-luxury-fyre-festival/

Also anyone with twitter look up #fyrefestival, it will keep you entertained all day.

I almost believe this is viral marketing. It's that insane.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

C-gBiKGXsAExSeb.jpg

DANG. for Raleigh folks, looks like @WNFIV (prolific Raleigh twitter guy) was at the festival and tweeting up a storm. he's quoted in most of the major pubs.

LOL, one of my Facebook friends is posting beach pictures from Exuma, Bahamas. He's totally the type to try to go to Fyre fest. (dukie)

Brasky, you know if he's there for FYRE?

Posted by a buddy of mine:

This is the real headline of #fyrefestival: the canary in the critical thinking coal mine is dead.
A washed-up rapper and college dropout turned business-mogul-wanna-be tried to plan a multi million dollar posh island music festival from scratch in a matter of months. Masses of people paid thousands of dollars each, banking that the two could pull it off. The suckers arrived and, instead of finding luxury and the weekend of a lifetime, they found themselves the main characters in a 2017 lord of the flies remake. These people, resolute in their belief that they had purchased gold, were shocked to discover that, in spite of the persistent and well-orchestrated social media veneer, two idiots with no experience or qualification of any sort couldn't pull off a massive event that required terraforming a deserted island into a luxury paradise in a matter of months.
This is funny, sure, but it's also quite serious. This is a microcosm of the current state of politics, really the current state of mankind on the whole. People are wowed by vapid media presences and are completely unwilling or unable to peer beneath the thin surface. They are reeled in hook, line, and sinker and then discover that the people who sold them on the illusion were in over their heads and couldn't possibly deliver on their promises. We can't even call these scams: the people behind them seem to actually think they can deliver. People are so taken in by hearing and seeing PRECISELY what they want to hear and see, they are incapable of stopping to ask the rational questions like "is it reasonable to expect this person to be able to do what he is claiming he will do?" Rational people with clear heads would say "no, this college dropout and rapper duo cannot create this massive event from scratch in months." Just like Rational people with clear heads would say "no this social media hero tv star cannot run the free world." But we don't have enough of those rational people around, and their numbers are shrinking.
It is tempting to downplay this as an inconsequential, thrice-removed cousin in law of the recent elections, but that would be naive . The consequences of a vote are for many people so distant and opaque that it should not surprise us that they are insufficient to incentivize rational behavior by all. It isn't quite the same for fyre fest: people spent thousands of dollars to travel to a deserted island and have barely any food to eat, FEMA tents as shelter, little water and electricity, and be victimized by violence and theft- all of which were predictable, tangible, and quickly felt consequences. The desire to avoid self harm may not be sufficiently triggered in the voting booth, but surely it should have been for those deciding whether or not to believe in the promise of the fyre fest.
If it wasn't clear before fyre fest, it ought to be clear now: we are in the midst of a culture-defining critical thinking crisis and it has reached epidemic levels. Educators have a moral imperative to fix this. We must train students to respond to what they see around them with reasoned suspicion instead of unshackled emotion. Society must be moved from rash to rational. We need a re-Enlightenment.

I do not agree that we are in the ... as your friend puts it ... in the midst of a critical thinking crisis. This presupposes that in the past a great majority of human beings were un-exploitable, that in the past many many human beings possessed the tools to keep themselves away from danger and that we have only just recently fallen into some kind of inertness of reason.

It is far more likely that this festival is an example of technology revealing to us yet another grouping of human beings exploited by the function and appeals of a capitalist system and so on and so forth. Now that every person has a camera in their pocket, we are all witnesses. We can witness the exploitation occur in real time. It is not that the masses have suddenly forgotten how to think critically, but that the deceptions of a capitalist system have been laid bare.

That was a lot of words to say that dumb people do dumb things.

Yeah. "There's a sucker born every minute" isn't a new idea. People are just more willing and able to admit they've been suckered.

LOL, one of my Facebook friends is posting beach pictures from Exuma, Bahamas. He's totally the type to try to go to Fyre fest. (dukie)

Brasky, you know if he's there for FYRE?

Yep it's him and another guy I know from here. Of course they're the guys who went.

Yeah. "There's a sucker born every minute" isn't a new idea. People are just more willing and able to admit they've been suckered.

And there are more channels to learn about massive groups of donks who get suckered all at once.

Funny tags. This does seem somewhat similar to the Ovations & Casstevens hires, running out of water at the Nebraska game, and other Wellman fiascoes.

Back