• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best jam band?

?

• Total voters
Jimmy Herring is a beast and JB will always be the voice of about 10 years of my life in the 90s but its just not as good as it was. (god I hate people who say that).

Anyone see them at Horn in the West in Boone in like maybe 94 or 95? oh man Boone was fun that night.

hmmm, no. cool band but nowhere near the talent level of Phish or Umphreys, love em or hate em. those guys are the most deft collectively of the genre.

seen all three quite a bit

i could concede umphreys, but moe was always far tighter than phish

maybe a higher floor lower ceiling is fair

The Von Trapp Family Singers singing about jam.

EdQlIYc.gif

I have not seen Umphrey's, DB or Widespread, so take that for what its worth.

I voted Phish because of the way they balance intricate composition (anything Junta or TMWSIY) and unfiltered funkified filth. I do love moe. (as phan can attest) for a similar reason but to me Trey's earlier compositions (YEM, Divided Sky, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, etc.) are superior to anything moe. Mule and SCI never really hooked me in the same way although both put on a great show.

Have recently started listening to TTB's studio stuff and have tickets to see them in July. Honestly a lot of their stuff starts to sound the same after a while, but the talent is definitely there. I'm sure a lot of people say the same thing about Phish though.

I would also nominate Medeski Martin & Wood although they might not be your prototypical "jam band." Which reminds me, The Wood Brothers put on an incredible show too, they're one of my favorites currently.

I have not seen Umphrey's, DB or Widespread, so take that for what its worth.

I voted Phish because of the way they balance intricate composition (anything Junta or TMWSIY) and unfiltered funkified filth. I do love moe. (as phan can attest) for a similar reason but to me Trey's earlier compositions (YEM, Divided Sky, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, etc.) are superior to anything moe. Mule and SCI never really hooked me in the same way although both put on a great show.

Have recently started listening to TTB's studio stuff and have tickets to see them in July. Honestly a lot of their stuff starts to sound the same after a while, but the talent is definitely there. I'm sure a lot of people say the same thing about Phish though.

I would also nominate Medeski Martin & Wood although they might not be your prototypical "jam band." Which reminds me, The Wood Brothers put on an incredible show too, they're one of my favorites currently.

good call forgot all about this band. smokin'

Don't know where to draw this line but Marcus King Band is pretty amazing.

i was super into Lotus and then they basically turned EDM

I was a Perpetual Groove guy for several years in high school/college. Particle was great. Tea Leaf Green pretty sweet.

I think moe. was always the most talented.

The only correct answer here is Widespread, I have seen them 15+ times and it's always a blast. I also dig some Tea Leaf Green, The Garden Part III is a dope song.

Back