• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best jam band?

?

• Total voters
Phish or Umphrey's of the bands listed or ARU of a band not listed. Panic bores me after a while.

Last edited:
The last time I saw Cheese at Lock'n I thought they put on a good show.

Would I go out of my way to see them not in festival setting? Probably not.

The only correct answer here is Widespread, I have seen them 15+ times and it's always a blast. I also dig some Tea Leaf Green, The Garden Part III is a dope song.

Wait. WFcatamount22 likes Widespread Panic and Tea Leaf Green? Dude. 99.7% of the people I know that enjoy this kind of music are very chill, relaxed, inclusive people. From reading your posts on the Tunnels, you seem to hold positions that are, um, not so much chill and inclusive. What gives? Or am I thinking of someone else? I have it in my mind that you are hyper-conservative...sailor, wrangor, bkf, jhmd crowd.

let's not get crazy, phish is objectively the best. their highs way outpace the rest, and agree with the earlier point about composition, particularly w stuff like harry hood, yem, piper, etc.

jimmy herring is awesome though.

also i kinda dig twiddle

Last edited:
Seeing the GD in the late 80s when Jerry was really focused in was like a religious experience. Still good in 90-91.

The only other band that has gotten me close to there was Phish, maybe once or twice.

I would take any of Widespread, Phish or Cheese in their prime (early to mid 90s to mid 00s) over any of the current version of the three.

Anything Earth to America on for Widespread, Siket Disc on for Phish, and Untying the Knot on for Cheese is extremely spotty and in large places deviates from the core of what they once were.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, they all can still put on a good show live when they want to, but all are extremely capable at this point of their careers of just going through the motions more often than not.

Would you people stop calling the Widespread and call them The Panny ?

I would take any of Widespread, Phish or Cheese in their prime (early to mid 90s to mid 00s) over any of the current version of the three.

Anything Earth to America on for Widespread, Siket Disc on for Phish, and Untying the Knot on for Cheese is extremely spotty and in large places deviates from the core of what they once were.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, they all can still put on a good show live when they want to, but all are extremely capable at this point of their careers of just going through the motions more often than not.

You are definitely a hardcore panny, phishy, and cheesey fan.

missing poll option "is a dead jam band and not the grateful kind"

The last time I saw Cheese at Lock'n I thought they put on a good show.

Would I go out of my way to see them not in festival setting? Probably not.

I saw String Cheese at lock n' as well. I think it was the first or second time lock n' was a festival, it was a pretty money show from what I recall.

Also kinda like some of the Jam Grass bands as well . Yonder Mountain String Band and Railroad Earth always are fun shows.i dont really like Phish, because Trey always has come across as a total dick to me but to be fair I also have never been to one of thier shows. Also use to really like Lotus and STS9, but they have fallen out of my favor lately.

As far as the dead goes Phil still has it together musically and Bobby is a total space cadet now. Which is a little infortunate because everything I have read makes it seem like Phil was kinda a prick, and Bobby was a money dude.

Last edited:
Wait. WFcatamount22 likes Widespread Panic and Tea Leaf Green? Dude. 99.7% of the people I know that enjoy this kind of music are very chill, relaxed, inclusive people. From reading your posts on the Tunnels, you seem to hold positions that are, um, not so much chill and inclusive. What gives? Or am I thinking of someone else? I have it in my mind that you are hyper-conservative...sailor, wrangor, bkf, jhmd crowd.

Always enjoyed being in the 1% ��

I saw String Cheese at lock n' as well. I think it was the first or second time lock n' was a festival, it was a pretty money show from what I recall.

Also kinda like some of the Jam Grass bands as well . Yonder Mountain String Band and Railroad Earth always are fun shows.i dont really like Phish, because Trey always has come across as a total dick to me but to be fair I also have never been to one of thier shows. Also use to really like Lotus and STS9, but they have fallen out of my favor lately.

As far as the dead goes Phil still has it together musically and Bobby is a total space cadet now. Which is a little infortunate because everything I have read makes it seem like Phil was kinda a prick, and Bobby was a money dude.

actually, I think Bob has gotten a bit better. his low point seems to have come when he collapsed at a Further show and that was essentially the end of that band. I saw him with Dead and Company in 2015 and solo at the Christmas Jam last year and his voice was strong and he didn't flub lyrics.

Back