• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best jam band?

?

• Total voters
Not really a jam band, but who cares - I just wanna use this thread to say how thankful I am that The Magpie Salute now exists:

WSP has a sound that is just too repetitive to me. Their songs seem to run together and sound the same.

They rock, but at some point every show I get bored with them.

Can't believe nobody has picked Umphrey's. They are a really good band and they switch back and forth from progressive rock to a hard metal sound while incorporating other styles.

They keep my interest every time I have seen them.

Last edited:
Panic is crushing it right now at Jazz Fest.

I can't believe the hate for MMJ - they were ridiculous at Lock'n. I really like them.

I don't know if anyone here was around for it but the thanksgathering show at Ziggys the day before the original location closed was epic. P. Groove and Your Mammas Big Fat Booty Band played and absolutely crushed it. To this day that was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

I don't know if anyone here was around for it but the thanksgathering show at Ziggys the day before the original location closed was epic. P. Groove and Your Mammas Big Fat Booty Band played and absolutely crushed it. To this day that was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.
"The Last Supper"? I was there. Have a t-shirt lying around somewhere.

New potato at Baity's early 90s was awesome

New Potato late 80's was great. I played golf four or five times with the lead singer at Twin Lakes in NoVa in 1995-96. Cool guy...

New Potato late 80's was great. I played golf four or five times with the lead singer at Twin Lakes in NoVa in 1995-96. Cool guy...

Circa 1988 New Potato played a mixer at Salem. That lead singer had had a one night stand with a friend of mine's sister. Friend gets drunk and attends the mixer, stands on the front row and flips off lead singer from a bout 5 feet away for an extended period of time, is carried out as he screams, "YOU FUCKED MY SISTER !"

Good times.

was (is?) New Potato a Dead cover band?

Considering it's been 25-30 years since I have seen them I honestly can't even remember if they played Dead covers, despite the name. They definitely had some originals that were a bit cheesy.

Indecision was the regional jam band that I really liked at the time, but they didn't come through all that often. They're from Charlottesville and still at it.

The Heavy Pets are a great answer. HeavyPetter (RIP) would have loved them. They party.

I never got the love for Panic, until last year. I'm a guitar player in bands, and do some occasional studio work or fill ins. So I know guitar playing, and I have respected Herring for a long time. Great player. But I just never got into Panic and didn't understand the love for them. My little brother was about the biggest Panic fan there was. He had been to over 100 shows, and they were just about all he talked about. Obsessed. He had tried for a long time to get me to a Panic show and get me into them, and I just never made it. A couple of years ago, he got diagnosed with brain cancer. And he was going down fast. 3 kids under 10, and in fact was diagnosed 2 weeks after having his 3rd child. It was really fast that he was in a wheel chair and was slurring his speech etc. I knew how much he loved Panic, so I decided I would take him myself (he lived in Atlanta, me in Charlotte) to the Halloween Panic show in Asheville in 2015. So I drove to Atlanta, picked him up and took him. We got there, and since he was in a wheel chair the Panic fans basically made us go all the way to the front row. Coolest fans I have ever seen. So he got to be right in the very front middle with me holding the handles on his wheel chair the entire show. And I loved the show. It was especially cool because I'm a huge Andy Griffith fan and they were all dressed up like the show characters.

Anyway, it was fantastic and I don't think I honestly had ever seen him so happy. I think mainly because he knew I was enjoying them, and he felt relieved that he had finally accomplished his goal of having me appreciate his favorite band. He passed away less than a month later. Last year, I went to see Panic again in September in honor of Rob. I promised him I would keep going to shows after he died. So I went by myself. In a lot of ways, it was an awesome night too.

Anyway, great band and great fans. Herring is fantastic and Dave Schools is killer.

I am surprised My Morning Jacket hasn't been mentioned.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great memory you made with your brother. WSMFP fans are the best in the biz.

New potato Caboose played dead Covers

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Greensky Bluegrass preceding WSP tonight on the same stage at Beale St Music Fest. Could make for some great sit-ins.

Greensky is the best in the jamgrass space right now in my opinion

Back