• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official KY Derby Thread with post positions

Hopefully the horses got a good night’s sleep last night. This could be the biggest day of the lives.
Hopefully Brasky got some sleep too.

I think they’ll cancel the race if it rains. Stay tuned.

The track is now muddy...I'll do more picks later.

$25 WP Justify $172.50
$10 EX 348.00
0.50 Tri 141.40
________
Total $662.90
Bet 205.00
_______
Profit $457.90

Hope you guys bet it. ...

I'm not sure if I own if I owned any of the 2nd-6th horses in this race if I run against Justify in the Preakness. Justify ran an outrageous race.

Usually if the leader runs 45 and change for the first half mile on a lightning fast track, the horse in the lead and anyone within 3-5 lengths won't be anywhere near the leaderboard at the end. It was a muddy track and Justify ran the entire race three wide (this means he ran more than the 1 1/4 mile of the race). He won for fun.

Pletcher will likely have Audible skip the Preakness and be fresher for the Belmont.

This was a good field, but he biotch slapped them. I will not be surprised to see Justify go off at 2/5 in the Preakness. If he stays healthy, he has the look of a Triple Crown winner.

I had 5,7,18, The wife had 2,6, 11, $2 exacta box and $1 Trifecta box cost $180. It paid $217.75. When it was all said and done, I got a free tank of gas, and a story to tell.

That's a big part of the game and you got a good one.

I was very surprised 157K showed up in the rain.

It's a shame they don't have $0.10 supers at Churchill. It would have only cost $3.40 to have 7 over 5/6 boxed over all. That would have paid about $1900. The problem with having it $1 is that had Bolt or My Boy Jack or Mendelssohn come in 4th, it may have only paid $300 and that's hardly worth it when the exacta was paying almost $70 for $2. You take a silly chance for $3.40.

Looking ahead to the Preakness, if Justify is healthy, he will likely go off at 2/5 (if you bet $5 to win on him, you'd get back $7). It's likely that there will be a much shorter field than in the Derby. This means exactas, tris, supers will pay dramatically less.

The best bet may be to single Justify on the back end of a Pick 4 and hope for a longshot or two ahead of him. It may be putting all your eggs in one basket, but it's likely that it's the only bet that could have a decent return. Pick 4's, with lots of coverage in the previous races are fun to watch.

For $100, you could bet 4 horses in one race, 5 in another, 10 in another and then Justify. For $62.50, you could bet 5 in each of the three previous races.

If you are with some friends, this kind of bet is really fun. Each of you could have one or two horses in each race. The person who picks the winner has the absolute right to give shit to the rest of the group. :)

Looks like it has more interesting discussion.

Ok. I'm thinking of watching for the first time. Where do I buy a hat for my wife? And do I wear socks or no socks? Also, where do I get those copper mugs to drink my jack and coke from?

Back