• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Basketball Coach

Yeah my bad on the thread title. Between having to pry my eyes open and being pissed about the Yankees and Cubs deciding no one needed to hit in extra innings I was just trying to get the information here. I'll do better next time guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of recruiting connections, which is the most important part of his job.

My only question is him being strong in the D.C. area when Chill already is very strong there.

Depends on whether or not you believe 2 > 1. It's not like we would get a better return on a larger recruiting footprint. I have no problem with us pounding as much pavement in the DMV and NC as possible. They should be our meat and potatoes. Georgia would be third on my list. Outside of that, it's mostly gravy. Though we have had some good recent success in FL, so maybe trade the advance of that momentum for the depth you would get in Georgia. Depth only matters if you can get players to commit.

I agree that Georgia and Florida are the other priorities. I'm guessing he made decent Florida ties from his time at FGCU and UCF too.

My only concern is that he clearly understands Wake and all that entails student-athlete wise. His background doesn't scream academics.

Danny seems to have figured out the Wake situation. Chill lived it for five years, and has now coached in it for longer than that. I'm not worried about the third assistant understanding that in great detail. He'll have plenty of help in getting it right.

Is Farouq the only non-bust to come out of Georgia?

Wake hasn't had a lot of BB players from GA. Only Doral on the current roster is even sorta Georgia - Locust Grove, GA is listed as his hometown, but he went to HS in FL.

His prior three stints:

2 years at FGCU
1 year at VCU
1 year at UCF

I like the hire on paper and honestly don't see a huge risk in bringing in a hard working recruiter as a third assistant. Just wonder if he knows what he wants out of his gig, based on his past trajectory.

His prior three stints:

2 years at FGCU
1 year at VCU
1 year at UCF

I like the hire on paper and honestly don't see a huge risk in bringing in a hard working recruiter as a third assistant. Just wonder if he knows what he wants out of his gig, based on his past trajectory.

He wants a head coaching job so he keeps moving up the ladder from Atlantic Sun to Atlantic 10 to AAC to ACC. I imagine if a better assistant job than Wake opens up, he will take it.

Now we're getting somewhere.

If you're scared he's gonna leave, you should get a dog or something because we ain't got time for that. This spot on the staff should go to someone trying to work their ass off to move up in the world. If they earn a better job from the end of our bench, we're better for it.

Yeah what a non-concern. Not everyone can be Eddie Fogler, nor should they be. I'll be pleased for him if he leaves us in 2 years for a 2nd assistant job at something like a KU or UK.

If you're scared he's gonna leave, you should get a dog or something because we ain't got time for that. This spot on the staff should go to someone trying to work their ass off to move up in the world. If they earn a better job from the end of our bench, we're better for it.
Agree. I'd be fine with losing the #3 assistant every few years if it means he warranted a promotion & WF can continue to add a likewise replacement.

Amen. I'd argue every spot on the staff should be that way. If they're all working their asses off to move up to a better job, it's likely Wake becomes a better job too.

Back