• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Basketball Coach

CharlotteDeac1

Reaction score
Up struggling to finish watching this Yankees Cubs game and saw that Manning is expected to hire Jamil Jones (UCF) as the newest assistant basketball coach. Ties to the DC recruiting area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of post season experience at UCF, VCU, and FGCU.

Looks like he was the #2 assistant at UCF. Doesn't seem like he's ever been a DOBO based on the bios.

Definitely looks like the 3rd assistant.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/information/directory/bios/Jamill_Jones?view=bio

sounds like a rapidly rising ace recruiting assistant. really like this hire. young and has moved up quickly thus far based on his recruiting prowess tied to the mid-atlantic.

"Jamill is one of those guys I've kept my eye on a lot in recent years. Our relationship has really developed recently and I've taken note of him being a tenacious recruiter, great with relationships and will outwork anyone," Wade said. "As we've gotten to know each other, we'll text at all hours of the night and that's my type of guy. He'll be a tremendous asset for us in recruiting, especially in the Mid-Atlantic area. He's been around a lot of high level players who have had great success in the pro ranks and he'll bring a lot of that knowledge and experience to our players here at VCU."

Good job. That's what we need. Not another 5'9 white chump.

He's around 31 years old and this is his fourth D-1 assistant job.

His 2017-18 UCF bio (oops!) credits him for their defensive improvement. This looks like as good as we could have expected for a third assistant hire.

He's around 31 years old and this is his fourth D-1 assistant job.

His 2017-18 UCF bio (oops!) credits him for their defensive improvement. This looks like as good as we could have expected for a third assistant hire.

Agreed. For whatever reason, I'm really excited about this hire. Sounds like he's walked the walked by coaching some NBA guys, tourney teams and has a knack for hitting the recruiting trail hard.

He coached the same AAU team that Crawford played for -- though don't think they would have overlapped at all.

Those AAU connects will come in handy for getting Mit's bags in the right hands.

My only concern is that he clearly understands Wake and all that entails student-athlete wise. His background doesn't scream academics.

Can we get a threat title change for clarity?

Sounds good, btw. Then again, I'm a sucker for buying into general optimism :)

My only concern is that he clearly understands Wake and all that entails student-athlete wise. His background doesn't scream academics.

That is always gonna come from Danny. He sets the directive. Assistants are there to execute the directive. I love that we went after another recruiter.

Seems like a lot of recruiting connections, which is the most important part of his job.

My only question is him being strong in the D.C. area when Chill already is very strong there.

Reputation for working hard, recruiting well, and teaching defense? Yeah, I think that'll do.

Outside of the Carolinas, the DMV area is probably the most effective place for us to recruit. I see no issue with adding an up-and-coming assistant who knows that fertile area really well.

Back