• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Establishes Voter Fraud Commission

Lowering common sense, widely-applicable societal standards because you think some people can't achieve them is---at best---normalizing marginalization.

What standard is being lowered?

While I view everyone having a photo ID as a good thing, for many people it isn't necessary and thus not worth the expense (which encompasses more than the fee you pay at the DMV).

Requiring someone who doesn't otherwise have or need a photo ID to get one just so they can vote doesn't sound very "common sense" or "widely applicable" to me.

I don't think they will, if we provide them free of charge.

Will you support a law mandating that all employers provide paid time off specifically for getting a photo ID? What about a public transportation voucher to get to the DMV or other government office? Such a law would also cover the costs of tracking down any required documents.

Will you support a law mandating that all employers provide paid time off specifically for getting a photo ID? What about a public transportation voucher to get to the DMV or other government office? Such a law would also cover the costs of tracking down any required documents.

[jhmd] Why do you not have any faith in people to do things for themselves?[/jhmd]

Lowering common sense, widely-applicable societal standards because you think some people can't achieve them is---at best---normalizing marginalization.

Plus the standard to vote should be incredibly low. U.S. Citizen that has reached the age of majority. Everyone who meets those requirements should be automatically registered and should be able to show up and vote on Election Day. Full stop.

States can figure out a system that virtually eliminates voter fraud without requiring any more of its citizens than meeting those two requirements.

[jhmd] Why do you not have any faith in people to do things for themselves?[/jhmd]

I do have faith (though there are many people, through no fault of their own, who could not do the things described above), I just think if we are going to make people jump through pointless hoops in order to exercise a constitutional right we should at least make sure they aren't worse off financially because of it.

You have to have an id to get a job. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

From the instructions, "The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization."

It's possible to complete the I-9 without a photo I.D. (Voter registration card and social security card will do the trick)

Also believe it or not there are actually people without jobs.

HOW TO GET A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you: •Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
•Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the states listed.

Shocker, I know, but most people still have their original social security card, which most people get shortly after birth.

This is America, it's possible to live your life without ever having your picture taken by the government. I though you'd be a supporter of an individual's right to be free from government regulation.

This is America, it's possible to live your life without ever having your picture taken by the government. I though you'd be a supporter of an individual's right to be free from government regulation.

Conservatives love government being able to pick their own voters. Personally, I think voters should be able to hold government accountable with as few restrictions as possible.

(Evil laugh) and close down all the DMV offices in African American neighborhoods (Evil laugh)

Because there is a DMV in every neighborhood in Appalachia. Serious question is it easier for a person living in the inner city to get to a DMV, or someone deep in Appalachia. Why are the expectations for the people somehow different?

73173b8b6a75cc92c063072c674386cc.jpg

I appreciate the foresight of these infants who consciously chose to retain the social security card for the job that they would one day get two decades from birth, to save them a trip to the DMV. That's the long-range planning we can all get behind.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Did your parents not give you your social security card once you turned 18 or were otherwise capable of taking care of your shit? Do most people not have a copy of their social security cards?

Because there is a DMV in every neighborhood in Appalachia. Serious question is it easier for a person living in the inner city to get to a DMV, or someone deep in Appalachia. Why are the expectations for the people somehow different?

Who is talking about inner cities? Have you ever been to rural Alabama?

So what you're saying is, it's hard for you to imagine people not having their government-issued card? Me too.

I have no problem understanding that many people don't have one on hand. Not hard to understand. The overwhelming majority of people do however. The point is that most people don't present a photo ID in order to get a SS card.

But if you are advocating setting up a voter registration system where every child gets pre-registered to vote along with their birth certificate, I'm in.

Back