• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

The ability to knock down the 3 at a 35% rate for a PF opens up so much. Stop being dumb.

Yeah, if your PF is Kevin Love or Kevin Durant. Show me a coach who is comparing John Collins to either of those guys and I'll show you a losing coach. There are still plenty of low post PFs in the NBA that are extremely effective without taking more than a once in a blue moon three. Hell, even Max Pussy LMA hardly shoots any 3s now. If Collins is drafted by a team playing a small-ball 3pt offense, then he is the small-ball 5 on offense, not the PF on offense.

He also won't be going up against an empty gym defending him from 3. If my choice is John Collins trying to score in the post against Paul Milsap or Kelly Olynyk, or John Collins trying to shoot and make a 3 against Paul Milsap or Kelly Olynyk, I'm going with the post option every damn time.

But, if he can show that undefended on the perimeter he'll hit some shots, his defender will have to stay with him on the perimeter, thus creating space in the lane when JC floats out.

Yeah, if your PF is Kevin Love or Kevin Durant. Show me a coach who is comparing John Collins to either of those guys and I'll show you a losing coach. There are still plenty of low post PFs in the NBA that are extremely effective without taking more than a once in a blue moon three. Hell, even Max Pussy LMA hardly shoots any 3s now. If Collins is drafted by a team playing a small-ball 3pt offense, then he is the small-ball 5 on offense, not the PF on offense.

LMA had more 3pt attempts this season than any in his career except his last one in Portland.

Kevin Durant is not a PF, and has never been one. This confuses me.

It's a 2&2 post.

This is what happens when your team has a habit of picking stretch 4s. You just think any big shooting the 3 is a waste.

1.000>>>>>>>>.40 something % (#small sample size for McClinton)

Career shooting GM was 1/6. I realize the statement was a joke, but wanted to point out that his 75 footer wasn't his only attempt at Wake.

Career shooting GM was 1/6. I realize the statement was a joke, but wanted to point out that his 75 footer wasn't his only attempt at Wake.

Bbbbbuuuut the single season percentage record....

If the Warriors are playing a 4 out 1 in lineup against another team's traditional lineup, generally the other teams 4 is (attempting to) guard Durant. Which is exactly why I sad Collins would be the 5 in that defensive lineup.

But, if he can show that undefended on the perimeter he'll hit some shots, his defender will have to stay with him on the perimeter, thus creating space in the lane when JC floats out.

No, if they are smart they will still stay in the lane and let him shoot it rather than give up a drive to the basket.

If the Warriors are playing a 4 out 1 in lineup against another team's traditional lineup, generally the other teams 4 is (attempting to) guard Durant. Which is exactly why I sad Collins would be the 5 in that defensive lineup.

Generally, other teams are out of their minds if they are having a PF guard one of the top 2 wing players in basketball. Positions in basketball these days, especially for the Warriors, are interchangeable. Are you going to say Chaundee Brown is a PF next year if he's the 2nd biggest player on the court for us, at times?

No, if they are smart they will still stay in the lane and let him shoot it rather than give up a drive to the basket.

If he hits 20% of threes with a man in his face and 40% when unguarded on the perimeter, seems like it would be undumb to guard him on the perimeter. That is the whole reason analysts are saying he'll be a really effective NBA player if he can develop a reliable outside shot.

If he hits 20% of threes with a man in his face and 40% when unguarded on the perimeter, seems like it would be undumb to guard him on the perimeter. That is the whole reason analysts are saying he'll be a really effective NBA player if he can develop a reliable outside shot.

So you are aiming for John Collins to have an unguarded 3pt % higher than Bradley Beal, Paul George, Russell Westbrook, Lebron James, or CP3. Makes sense.
Here's an idea. If you are running an offense to spread the floor, spread it for him. Don't use him to spread the floor. He is the one you want going one on one near the basket, not hoisting from outside to allow a wing to try to beat someone to the basket.

McClinton worked hard for 3.99 years on his three point shooting, and it paid off. He should project well to be a stretch 3 in the Association now.

Seriously, though, of course it will help JC's game if he can step out and consistently hit long 2's and 3's. I agree with the folks here who said we just didn't need him for outside shooting last year, and he was our only inside threat. And he was incredible on the inside. And doubles on him helped open up the outside for our shooters. You can tell JC has a decent shot. His foul shooting looked very solid all year, so he clearly can step out. And now with bball being his full time job, I expect it will improve dramatically, as it just seemed to be developing last year. And scouts clearly saw it, too, and is one big reason why there is so much interest in him. He can score at will inside, hit his foul shots, and it seems clear he will be able to add long 2's and 3's now that he will be playing with more help on the interior. He's just got a lot of upside. Add that he is a good kid, too.

Back